Alice

changing address on-line/ problems

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I am so frustrated , and do not know what to do now .

Situation .

I had interview on GC on January-12 , approved , I received approval notice from immigration officer with whom we had interview , also she put stamp in my passport.

on January -14 we moved ( because of new job of my husband to another state ) ,changed on-line address on the US CIS site , sent tham hard copy of that document, sent changing of address sponsor , so we did verything that required , than I received by e-mail notification , that petition I-485 approved , and e-mail that card production orederd on January 21.

Guess what ? Green card has been sent to my old address , and post office returned documents back to US CIS as we do not have any longer that address.

I called to US CIS yesterday and they said that besides changing address on-line ( though it said on the site ) I had to call them and change verbally (???) so , they changed address when I called , wuestion what's happened with on-line changes and I need to wait now up to 45 days untill they send me GC to the new address.

QUESTION . I had just verbal communication and confirmation ( verbal ) that address changed in teh system , Do I need to wait now untill March -20 ? Or I need to schedule . Let say how can I be sure that they will not aqrue up again ?????

WHAT SHALL I DO NOW ? ANY ADVISES , IDEAS ???????

It's rediculous situation .....

Timeline

What would be best to do now ?

To wait 45 days and hope that everything will be fine and I will receive GC , or to schedule infopass in local office .

It's ridiculous situation ..... we did everything we supposed to do , and ...... 45 days again ????

Sorry for your troubles - but the instructions on the USCIS clearly state this:

How Do I Report My Change of Address?

If you are not a U.S. citizen, changing your address for legal purposes does not change your address on any application or petition pending with USCIS and changing your address on a pending application or petition does not meet the legal requirements of informing USCIS of your change of address. You will need to do both. For most cases, you can now do both at the same time on our website using the Electronic Change of Address tool (available under "Related Links" on this page).

With the exception noted above, all non-U.S. citizens who move within the United States and its territories must submit a Form AR-11 within 10 days after completing the change of address. You can do that here on our website with the Electronic Change of Address tool. If you choose to use this online tool, you can complete an electronic Form AR-11 and notify USCIS to update your address on most pending cases.

Since you had a pending case, you were directed to file the AR-11 and call USCIS so they could change the pending case address.

Make sure you call USCIS and ensure they have your new address.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
Sorry for your troubles - but the instructions on the USCIS clearly state this:

Since you had a pending case, you were directed to file the AR-11 and call USCIS so they could change the pending case address.

Make sure you call USCIS and ensure they have your new address.

Thank you , but

We filed AR-11 electronically next day after we moved and also we called at the same day to US CIS and operator said that AR-11 is enough , and yesterday , after I found out that GC has been sent to old address , I called them again and they changed address in the system while I called them , but they said that GC will be send within 45 days now

So , what should I do now ?

Edited by Alice

Thank you , but

We filed AR-11 electronically next day after we moved and also we called at the same day to US CIS and operator said that AR-11 is enough , and yesterday , after I found out that GC has been sent to old address , I called them again and they changed address in the system while I called them , but they said that GC will be send within 45 days now

So , what should I do now ?

You were given the wrong information - or they didn't know you had a pending application (which is probably the case).

Unless they actually call up your file -the operator would have no idea if you had any pendings.

You will have to wait for the card to be delivered to your new address.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
You were given the wrong information - or they didn't know you had a pending application (which is probably the case).

Unless they actually call up your file -the operator would have no idea if you had any pendings.

You will have to wait for the card to be delivered to your new address.

Thank you ,

yes , probably you are right , and it was some sort of misunderstanding 1-st time we called .

Well , looks like nothing I can do about this now and I need to wait for 45 days .... Just hope that I will receive it this time .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

This is too late in your case, but here's a suggestion for anyone else who is planning to move while they have stuff pending: File a Change of Address with the U.S. Postal Service so they can forward any of your mail sent to the old address to the new address.

Hopefully you will get your card in less than 45 days.

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

OMG the same thing happened to me! I also received confirmation of change of address and the interviewer said she would make sure it gets send to the new address, and still they sent it to the old address. Now I am also waiting 45 days? Have you got yours yet?

Also when you file AR-11 it is followed by change of address and you don't have to call them. I called and the person told me that this is enough. This tool also asks for any pending cases and receipt numbers and it is SUPPOSED to update the address. Well let's hope we will get our cards!

Edited by Val Marty

12/21/2009 Package mailed

12/23/2009 Package received

01/04/2010 All 3 NOA received dated 12/30

01/14/2010 Applied for expedite, I-130 and I-765 touched

01/30/2010 Received Biometrics appointment scheduled for 02/23/2010

02/02/2010 Walked in and did biometrics

02/03/2010 Touched I-765 and I-485

02/19/2010 EAD Card production ordered

02/26/2010 Received interview appointment letter for 03/29

02/27/2010 EAD arrived in mail (Day 51)

03/03/2010 Filed for change in address

03/08/2010 Received change in address confirmation

03/29/2010 INTERVIEW AT 9:30AM - APPROVED (Day 81)

03/31/2010 Card production ordered. YEY!

04/24/2010 Card received after all the trouble!

01/03/2012 Filed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

01/11/2012 Received Notice of Action Dated 01/06/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

OMG the same thing happened to me! I also received confirmation of change of address and the interviewer said she would make sure it gets send to the new address, and still they sent it to the old address. Now I am also waiting 45 days? Have you got yours yet?

Also when you file AR-11 it is followed by change of address and you don't have to call them. I called and the person told me that this is enough. This tool also asks for any pending cases and receipt numbers and it is SUPPOSED to update the address. Well let's hope we will get our cards!

We went through the change of address early on in the process. I(the USC) did the Change of Address for the I-130, and Kyle did the Change of Addresses for the I-485 and I-765. I only had one part online to fill out. Kyle had to go through the two steps for EACH form he submitted. He then called and verified (as he said I was nagging him about it)and the guy at the USCIS said that he just sits in front of the computer with the AR-11 form up to fill it out online for those that call in. We received a few touches after doing the change of address about a week later and then we received a letter in the mail confirming the change of address.

Make sure all of the Change of Address forms were done. Should be one AR-11 for EACH form you submitted. Val, i'm sure you'll get your card soon!

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Before we got married we moved. When we filed our papers to USCIS we were already at our currently address. Recently we received mail on our old address. Fortunately a friend moved into that former address and handed our mail. We had changed the addresses at all points of interest (Banks, Credit cards, DMV etc). We ended up receiving an annual membership which we hadn't changed. So we resulted in using the attached USPS link yesterday to redirect our mail (if anymore is still left out) https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/flow.do?_flowExecutionKey=_c4D5F0CE4-ABFB-3023-6B2F-70A54F404A52_kBDD0DA7C-41A3-2E2E-32DE-C9C4CB91FAB8

I guess in addition to (1) mailing the AR-11 and (2) calling USCIS, (3) updating USPS is a safer added thing to do. Maybe part of a moving checklist. Ideas?

• 06/26/2019 - I-130 priority date
  • 01/08/2020 - I-130 approved
  • 04/02/2020 - DQ (Documentarily Qualified )
  • 07/07/2021 - Interview in Nairobi Kenya (approved)

Before we got married we moved. When we filed our papers to USCIS we were already at our currently address. Recently we received mail on our old address. Fortunately a friend moved into that former address and handed our mail. We had changed the addresses at all points of interest (Banks, Credit cards, DMV etc). We ended up receiving an annual membership which we hadn't changed. So we resulted in using the attached USPS link yesterday to redirect our mail (if anymore is still left out) https://moversguide....DE-C9C4CB91FAB8

I guess in addition to (1) mailing the AR-11 and (2) calling USCIS, (3) updating USPS is a safer added thing to do. Maybe part of a moving checklist. Ideas?

Sometimes official government mail specifies "not to forward" - so changing your address at USPS may not work in all cases.

Best bet is to do the AR-11, call them if you have pending, and follow up to ensure they changed it.

Timeline

Well this whole thing turned out to be a big pain in the behind. I called USCIS so many time during the last two days, and those guys don't know anything. Online it says that my card was returned to them on the 12th, and the guys on the phone is telling me that the card was returned after they sent me an email. The email was sent on the 14th (today). SO I told him this is not true. I think he is just saying whatever to shut me up. I guess I will be waiting now. Totally spoiled my day, and coming up days. And I have a phone interview today, at least one good thing! :)

Edited by Val Marty

Well this whole thing turned out to be a big pain in the behind. I called USCIS so many time during the last two days, and those guys don't know anything. Online it says that my card was returned to them on the 12th, and the guys on the phone is telling me that the card was returned after they sent me an email. The email was sent on the 14th (today). SO I told him this is not true. I think he is just saying whatever to shut me up. I guess I will be waiting now. Totally spoiled my day, and coming up days. And I have a phone interview today, at least one good thing! :)

Val Marty

You changed your address before the interview right? Did they say that since you changed your address you needed to go the corresponding local USCIS office for the interview? Also did the interview accept the new lease as evidence of bonafide marriage along with mail documents that showed your old address?

I will be changing my address soon, I am kind of anxious.

04/02/2010: AOS I-130, I-485 and I-765 mailed by UPS 2nd Day Air

04/06/2010: Delivered, Signed by Chiba (Day 1)

04/13/2010: Checks cashed, NOAs received via email and text (Day 7)

04/19/2010: Hard NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765 received (Day 13)

04/23/2010: Biometrics Appointment received (Day 17)

05/04/2010: RFE for I-864 received (Day 28)

05/06/2010: RFE for I-864 mailed back (Day 30)

05/12/2010: Case processing resumed (Day 36)

05/14/2010: Biometrics Appointment, I-485 and I-765 touched (Day 38)

05/17/2010: I-485 and I-765 touched (Day 41)

06/08/2010: EAD card production ordered (Day 63)

06/19/2010: EAD card received (Day 74)

07/02/2010: Interview letter received (Day 87)

08/04/2010: Interview (Day 120)==> Approved!!. Card Production Ordered text received

08/21/2010: Greencard received (Day 137)

Eligible for ROC: 05/04/2012

Eligible for Naturalization: 08/04/2013

Timeline

Val Marty

You changed your address before the interview right? Did they say that since you changed your address you needed to go the corresponding local USCIS office for the interview? Also did the interview accept the new lease as evidence of bonafide marriage along with mail documents that showed your old address?

I will be changing my address soon, I am kind of anxious.

We moved, but not outside the Dallas area, so our interview was still at the same location. We also moved in with my in-laws so no lease, and our interview went great, really. She approved us immediately, ans asked about the address, and we told her we moved recently and we filed the change of address form. She also said she was going to make sure it gets mailed to the new address. Well so much for that. I got a email update today that the card has been mailed again, hopefully to the right place this time!

I suggest that you call them and make sure they have your new address on file after you move.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.