elmcitymaven

UK DCF -- the ins and outs and ups and downs

309 posts in this topic

Congrats, uk2usa2010! All the best wishes for a smooth, problem-free medical (and a swift delivery of Packet 4!)

QUESTION for all of my expert friends out there :) : if there are no problems at the interview (fingers crossed!), how does the timing look for receiving my UKC husband's passport back, with the visa? Should we most likely safely have it within 7 days, 10 days, 14 days, etc.? Am just trying to do a little advance planning for our move, and determine if we're going to be able to travel to a family wedding 2 weeks after the interview date.

Thanks!

The US Embassy website says allow 3-5 working days from interview to process and then add on whatever you pay for in terms of the SMS courier service. I think you can pay £20 for next day delivery and specify a 2hr time slot.

Steve (UKC) & Sonja (USC)

MARRIED August 2004

NOA1 8 Feb 2010

NOA2 8 Mar 2010

PACKET 3 17 Mar 2010

MEDICAL 30 Mar 2010

PACKET 4 15 Apr 2010

INTERVIEW 24 May 2010 - APPROVED!!

VISA RECEIVED 27 May 2010

---------------------

REMAINING TARGETS

ARRIVE USA 7 Jun 2010

Hello all - I too am a fellow london DCF - we sent the initial I-130 Jan 2010. Anyway I am a bit late signing up to VJ but I do have a question.

I got the packet three letter from London and I am awaiting my police check back. I am also awaiting my joint sponsors paperwork to come to me in the post (they are in US so this will take a couple of weeks max). My question is - am I safe to send in my DS-2001 and checklist now even though I dont have the above documents in my hand? It seems like the wait to interview is currently very loooooooong so I am assuming I would def have both of the above documents by the time my inerview date comes around.

Or do you think to be on the safe side I should wait until I physically have these things before sending DS-2001?

Just want it to go as quickly as possible as Im sure you all do, this is a very stressful process!!!

Thanks very much

Stacey

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hello all - I too am a fellow london DCF - we sent the initial I-130 Jan 2010. Anyway I am a bit late signing up to VJ but I do have a question.

I got the packet three letter from London and I am awaiting my police check back. I am also awaiting my joint sponsors paperwork to come to me in the post (they are in US so this will take a couple of weeks max). My question is - am I safe to send in my DS-2001 and checklist now even though I dont have the above documents in my hand? It seems like the wait to interview is currently very loooooooong so I am assuming I would def have both of the above documents by the time my inerview date comes around.

Or do you think to be on the safe side I should wait until I physically have these things before sending DS-2001?

Do not wait, sent DS-2001 immediately. We send our in March 6 and got the packet 4 in March 19. But my interview date is only May 6. We have not got a tax returns but still have plenty of time to be prepared for interview.

Another quick question! Does my spouse have to enter the US with me when I immigrate as he was planning on going over earlier as he has a firm job offer? Just saw something on DS-230 that made me nervous about this as he already has flight booked! I will be staying here at my mums until the visa is ready in next couple of months. Is it ok if I come into US alone when I have visa or does he need to be travelleing with me?

Thanks again!

Stacey

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another quick question! Does my spouse have to enter the US with me when I immigrate as he was planning on going over earlier as he has a firm job offer? Just saw something on DS-230 that made me nervous about this as he already has flight booked! I will be staying here at my mums until the visa is ready in next couple of months. Is it ok if I come into US alone when I have visa or does he need to be travelleing with me?

Thanks again!

Stacey

It's actually better if the USC returns earlier, for re-establishing domicile. You are welcome to enter by yourself once your visa is in hand. :)

It's actually better if the USC returns earlier, for re-establishing domicile. You are welcome to enter by yourself once your visa is in hand. :)

This is not necessary for those doing DCF through London, where it is possible to pass the domicile test more easily than it is currently in Montreal. The only rule is that the non-USC must enter the US at the same time or later than the USC spouse.

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

This is not necessary for those doing DCF through London, where it is possible to pass the domicile test more easily than it is currently in Montreal. The only rule is that the non-USC must enter the US at the same time or later than the USC spouse.

Well I guess we will still be ok as he is going there before me and he is the USC

Thanks elmcity :D

Edited by staceyafreeman

I found out from DOS a fortnight ago, that my interview is next Thursday. I still have not received packet 4. I called DOS again today and I was told that packet 4 was sent on 10th March. Will I be turned away without my interview letter? How do I contact the Embassy about this, I am trying to avoid the extortion line as they may not have any info. Thanks guys.

Best thing to do is email the embassy -- and to make certain it gets read you probably need the weekly code...which means a call to the extortion line to get it. Just explain the situation to them and that you need the email code. Once you get it, send an email to both of the email addresses cited on VJ: londonconsular@state.gov and londoniv@state.gov. Put the code in the subject line and ask them to confirm via email and hard copy your date. You WILL be on the list for the day, so even if you didn't have the letter you'd still be okay but better to have confirmation than not.

Some VJers have had joy in the past by bypassing the extortion line and sending an email with their London case number, the topic and the word "URGENT" in the subject line instead of the code. Up to you! Good luck! :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Best thing to do is email the embassy -- and to make certain it gets read you probably need the weekly code...which means a call to the extortion line to get it. Just explain the situation to them and that you need the email code. Once you get it, send an email to both of the email addresses cited on VJ: londonconsular@state.gov and londoniv@state.gov. Put the code in the subject line and ask them to confirm via email and hard copy your date. You WILL be on the list for the day, so even if you didn't have the letter you'd still be okay but better to have confirmation than not.

Some VJers have had joy in the past by bypassing the extortion line and sending an email with their London case number, the topic and the word "URGENT" in the subject line instead of the code. Up to you! Good luck! :)

Thanks again elmcitymaven for you continuos help. I called the extortion line and they gave me a code, I have now emailed the Embassy. I have got everything ready for next week, I wanted to double check that for 1-864 I can put country of Domicile as USA (with proof of steps to establish domicile). My husband is currently in the UK, can I use US address as mailing address and UK address as place residence? I'm a bit confused. :help:

Received a letter from USCIS London today, got all excited but it was I-130 RFE :-(

They want Affidavits for how we met and came to be married, and 3 from third parties knowing the bona fides of our relationship. They also want evidence of comingling of assets and an explanation of how our I-129F (filed in Chicago before the US > UK visa process) was rejected.

I'd really appreciate the following help;

1) Does anyone have a good example of the format of the affidavits?

2) We only have our joint names on some utility bills, no joint bank accounts or rental agreements, is that likely to be enough? Should we add an explanation of why we haven't used a joint accounts etc?

3) The I-129F had a request for further information which our solicitor didn't provide in time, we could have appealed but got bored of the long wait times and legal fee's associated with the US process and just applied for my wife to come to the UK. Is that a good reason or?

Received a letter from USCIS London today, got all excited but it was I-130 RFE :-(

They want Affidavits for how we met and came to be married, and 3 from third parties knowing the bona fides of our relationship. They also want evidence of comingling of assets and an explanation of how our I-129F (filed in Chicago before the US > UK visa process) was rejected.

I'd really appreciate the following help;

1) Does anyone have a good example of the format of the affidavits?

Hi Matt_UK! Try not to get TOO stressed about the RFE-- they turned ours around quite quickly, and we had the approval only one week after mailing the info they requested.

For the affidavits, here's an example of one my friend filed one for us, if you want to follow this format:

INTRO: include full name and address and date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit

Example: I make this Affidavit to affirm having personal knowledge of a bona fide marriage between Jane Miller and John Doe. I presently reside at 123 Main Street, XYZTown, Connecticut, USA. I was born on March 14, 1970 in Anytown, California, USA.

PARAGRAPH TWO: describe how the person making the affidavit knows the couple, how they met, give an example of time spent with the couple

Example: Jane and I met as co-workers in Annapolis, Maryland, and have been close friends for several years. Jane and John had their first date on September 1, 2007. As we are very close friends, I heard often about their relationship, in conversations over the phone and by email. I met John for the first time in November of 2007, when the three of us took a day trip to Castleton. It was clear to me that their relationship was very serious.

PARAGRAPH THREE: give another example of meeting with the couple

Example: When Jane and John got engaged in June of 2008, Jane emailed me that afternoon to tell me the great news. I helped Jane with many of the arrangements for the wedding, as we kept in close contact. In August of 2008, I spent several days with Jane and John together again, when I vacationed with Jane’s family in the Outer Banks. Everyone could see that they were very happy and in love.

PARAGRAPH FOUR: give another example of meeting with the couple

Example: Jane and John were married on October 10th, 2009, in Annapolis, Maryland. I was present at their marriage, and was a member of the wedding party. During the wedding weekend, John’s family and friends shared many stories of Jane and John’s life together with us. To date, I have maintained a close relationship with the couple. Throughout the time I have known Jane and John, they have maintained a genuine romantic relationship, and I am sure their relationship will continue to grow in strength, now that they are married. At no time have I had any doubt as to the validity of their relationship.

ENDING: be sure to include the perjury statement word for word, with date.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on November 16, 2009.

Signature

Printed Full Name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.