58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still under the impression the backlog in Montreal is continuing -- aside from the 9 couples that received notification last week.

Guilty? No... but being hassled by a difficult consulate almost sounds more appealing than being ignored by Montreal. Doubly frustrating considering the six week difference between CSC and VSC between NOA1 and NOA2 and the 70 day difference between Vancouver and Montreal.

Sorry... my biological clock is ticking... =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Why in the world would i feel guilty? that is one of the luxuries of living in two countries that have i guess what you can call a certain trust for each other... to me its just a perk. Think of it this way, if you work at a certain store you get certain discounts that the average person won't get. Would you feel guilty?

Beyond that others countries have bigger issues such as fraud and what not, such as some MENA countries I'm sure if the States had a better track record with some of these countries it wouldn't be such a big problem. But immigration has a big burden to carry, think about how many people try and come here on false visa and how immigration has to somehow figure out who are really in love, and come here wanting to get married and live a happy life. And those who would really love to do harm to U.S. I can't feel guilt or fault them for doing the best they can in keeping everybody who lives and comes here to live safe. So if that means a little extra effort on their part then I'm fine with that even if its me when i get put in secondary for "further" evaluation when crossing the boarder. It's just them doing a job. I'm not trying to start a debate just answering the question.

On the other end it sucks for People who have to wait that much longer but we all have a wait and if all is good then you will be blessed to come here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't feel guilty but I understand what you're saying.

Of course I have read some horror stories here too in the Canadian forum. We have our share of obstacles too. I think we're lucky that we are so close to the US, and it is a little easier to visit (with your proven ties of course) but I don't feel guilt about it.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

No guilt here. This is my second trip through immigration (me from the US to Canada) so I don't have many feelings beyond apathy and frustration with the process. :lol:

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
I know exactly what the OP means...I don't feel guilty persay but I can see we have some advantages over some other countries. while doing AOS and now ROC in the US....I have it pretty easy, I already speak english. I have seen folks with less then perfect english who are treated disrespectfully at the immigration office. I think it must be just an added layer of frustration to be learning english on top of everything else going on. Yes, they chose it, but you all know what I mean.

In my daily dealings, absolutely no one pegs me as an immigrant, because I 'fit in' (whatever that means in their little minds).....so yah, we have it pretty easy start to finish. we don't have to bribe anyone, no one thinks we Cdns are trying to 'just get a GC'... we don't have to travel too far through uncivilized territory or anything else (unless you call downtown Montreal the wilderness :) )

I agree with you. It's pretty much been a breeze for me to move here and "fit in" with no problems. My educations translated perfectly, I have the exact same if not better job here and people would never know I was an immigrant unless I told them. Living in a place with a lot of immigrants (both legal and illegal) I can see how much harder it can be once they move here.

That being said, I don't feel bad about the actual immigration process itself. It's an expensive, long process that is not easy regardless of whether or not we have an easier time getting through the interview.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

No, although I may be biased because we went through hell in the K1 process with Montréal.

Does anyone else feel a little guilty sometimes, thinking about how easy we generally get through compared to the nightmares we read about in the Central and South American consulates, not to even MENTION the MENA (Middle East, North Africa) area? I mean, the worst things we have to worry about is a couple-month backlog at Montreal and accidentally leaving the US without an AP document! That's like nothing! Do we have it too easy? :)

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Timeline

No. No guilt it all -- there are proven reasons as to why some consulates are more difficult to get through than others -- I feel bad for innocent people getting caught in that quagmire, but it exists for a reason. ANd it's not like getting our visa as Canadians is a total cake walk either.

So no. No guilt here and that's odd for me as a lapsed catholic....

:)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
No. Not in the least.

Indeed, I'm of the mind that it could / should be even easier for two first-world nations that have such a close allegiance.

I'm reminded of the situation in Australia and New Zealand -- two completely distinct countries, separated by a 1500 mile sea, yet they have a "Trans-Tasman Agreement" that allows a citizen of one to live and work freely in the other, with adequate documentation. I'd love to see something like that between Canada and the United States, though I am well aware that there is virtually no likelihood of that happening in this day and age.

But I'm not about to feel guilty for the difficulties faced by other countries. I'm just glad to be Canadian.

Apparently it's the same with Norway. One of my guild mates posted this recently:

"It is really a shame that you have to go through all that since Canadians and Americans are basically neighbors. Over here, Norwegians can live and work in Sweden, and Swedes can do the same thing over here in Norway. Now, if a Swede and a Norwegian were to fall in love and get married it would only take a week of paper work. Actually you can just sign the papers, move over, then pretend you are officially married until it's final one week later.

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland all live under the same roof. It's only called immigration if you're from a country that is not chained with Norway's borders."

I wish Canada and the US had an agreement like this.

My future father in law told me on Tuesday that America is paranoid about anyone coming into the country. He travels a lot in Europe, and he says all they do is scan his passport and let him in based on his history in the computer. He says whenever he goes to the State, he gets grilled by the border patrol.

I told him we had reason to be more cautious, and he pointed out that we aren't the only country to be attacked by terrorits, or even as much as some other countries. I think he has a point . . .

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline

No, no guilt here, can't think of a reason why we would feel guilty.

There are people in the Canada forum who have been waiting for months - because of suspected terrorist motives? Questions about the validity of their marriage? No. Because the CO in Montreal didn't 'feel' that the U.S. citizen had proven reestablishing domicile.

Spouses and Spouses and their children have been separated because of this. Forced to quit their job here, if they had one, move away from their Spouse and children and relocate to the U.S. first, getting a job, paying for 2 places to live. Asked to relinquish their Canadian permanent residency.

There is no cake walk here.

How many other potential immigrants have to travel 3,600 kms for their interview? Are their any?

Timeline

I'm probably in the minority, as i feel we have it easy!! Through my travels have come across a lot of sad situations! I imagine many don't get the opportunity to travel to see their spouse or even communicate daily with the spouse. Here I was back in Canada with everything I needed and more, had a great job, saw my wife every month, (more would be nicer,lol) but really had nothing to complain about. Had food/beer in my fridge, all was good. And I am a very "me" kind of person and not religious in any ways. I just know others have it worse, boo hoo for me that the process isnt super fats just because I'm Canadian! lol But that my opinion which I'm sure isn't shared my 99% of others,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
No. No guilt it all -- there are proven reasons as to why some consulates are more difficult to get through than others -- I feel bad for innocent people getting caught in that quagmire, but it exists for a reason. ANd it's not like getting our visa as Canadians is a total cake walk either.

So no. No guilt here and that's odd for me as a lapsed catholic....

:)

Exactly!

And there are people from my group of filers who's fiances are already done with the process and arriving in the US (from countries that are considered relatively high-fraud), while Im still waiting on my NOA2.

Bad luck on my part... but regardless, even if I had gotten my NOA2 at the same time as everybody else, there is no way I'd even be scheduled for an interview in Mtl right now.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

No, no guilt here, can't think of a reason why we would feel guilty.

There are people in the Canada forum who have been waiting for months - because of suspected terrorist motives? Questions about the validity of their marriage? No. Because the CO in Montreal didn't 'feel' that the U.S. citizen had proven reestablishing domicile.

Spouses and Spouses and their children have been separated because of this. Forced to quit their job here, if they had one, move away from their Spouse and children and relocate to the U.S. first, getting a job, paying for 2 places to live. Asked to relinquish their Canadian permanent residency.

There is no cake walk here.

How many other potential immigrants have to travel 3,600 kms for their interview? Are their any?

Yeah, those are some great points.

As most folks here know, I have NO resentment over the amount of time I've / we've had to wait for our interviews, nor over the process itself. I understand the need for the process, and realistically, I think it has a way of strengthening one's marriage / relationship. I mean seriously...how many marital hardships will rival the 7-10 month wait for unification?

Having said all of that though, Canadians DO have to go through a lot -- often more than other countries. The overall wait times are longer (for CR-1s, at least), and we have the same level of security checks as countries that are known to harbor terrorists... Logistically, there's something odd about that. And this is for spouses of citizens!

I'm also a firm believer in having a solid grasp of the language of the country one is moving to prior to actually moving. I know some people disagree with me on this, but I find it rather disrespectful to not make the effort to better integrate with one's potential new home by learning how to converse with its citizens! I know for a fact that if I was moving to Germany, Pakistan, Peru etc., I'd learn the language first. So I don't have much sympathy for those who get hassled by U.S. Immigration for not being able to effectively communicate...

I'm still shaking my head a little bit over how people can feel guilty for such a thing. I respect the stance, but I truly can't understand it.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

One of my husband's co-workers (a spanish speaking US citizen) is currently house-hunting. The realtor they were dealing with asked them if they had their greencard. :o:angry:

First, you moronic twit...... not all home buyers in the US are American citizens.

Secondly, you simpleminded pinhead..... you don't require citizenship to purchase property here.

Lastly, you brainless bonehead..... having an accent doesn't make you an illegal. :bonk:

That realtor is now their ex-realtor. :)

:o:blink: I think that realtor needs to do a little homework!

No...I don't feel guilty. I didn't choose the nationality I am, although I'm certainly proud to be Canadian. But like others have mentioned, I hate the way that others get "drilled" and can take a while, although, I do understand, for good reason. I totally understand the US has to be careful.

I hope those that have been waiting quite a while to be reunited will have a quick and painless journey.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't feel guilty at all about the process, or how "easy" Canadians have it. The fact that a CR-1 applicant has to wait months and months for an interview while I was allowed to request my interview day in Vancouver ... now THAT makes me feel guilty!

I recognise the need for the immigration process from Canada to the US and while I do respect it, but I also wish that Canada and the US had an agreement similar to Australia/New Zealand or Europe. I do feel bad for people from other countries who have a harder time getting through, but like lgg said ... it is like that for a reason. I would suggest you take a read of the "Effects of Major Family Changes to Immigration" forum ... reading some of the posts on there and the terrible experiences people have of fraud, abuse, etc really made me realise why certain places are looked at with higher scrunity. It sounds awful, but obviously USCIS is aware of that and act on it accordingly.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.