HeatDeath

Canadian Guilt?

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone else feel a little guilty sometimes, thinking about how easy we generally get through compared to the nightmares we read about in the Central and South American consulates, not to even MENTION the MENA (Middle East, North Africa) area? I mean, the worst things we have to worry about is a couple-month backlog at Montreal and accidentally leaving the US without an AP document! That's like nothing! Do we have it too easy? :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ya, ya do !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Does anyone else feel a little guilty sometimes, thinking about how easy we generally get through compared to the nightmares we read about in the Central and South American consulates, not to even MENTION the MENA (Middle East, North Africa) area? I mean, the worst things we have to worry about is a couple-month backlog at Montreal and accidentally leaving the US without an AP document! That's like nothing! Do we have it too easy?

No. Not in the least.

Indeed, I'm of the mind that it could / should be even easier for two first-world nations that have such a close allegiance.

I'm reminded of the situation in Australia and New Zealand -- two completely distinct countries, separated by a 1500 mile sea, yet they have a "Trans-Tasman Agreement" that allows a citizen of one to live and work freely in the other, with adequate documentation. I'd love to see something like that between Canada and the United States, though I am well aware that there is virtually no likelihood of that happening in this day and age.

But I'm not about to feel guilty for the difficulties faced by other countries. I'm just glad to be Canadian.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
No. Not in the least.

Indeed, I'm of the mind that it could / should be even easier for two first-world nations that have such a close allegiance.

I'm reminded of the situation in Australia and New Zealand -- two completely distinct countries, separated by a 1500 mile sea, yet they have a "Trans-Tasman Agreement" that allows a citizen of one to live and work freely in the other, with adequate documentation. I'd love to see something like that between Canada and the United States, though I am well aware that there is virtually no likelihood of that happening in this day and age.

Totally agree with you Wyatt!

Same thing can be said of travelling in the European Union with a EU passport.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Does anyone else feel a little guilty sometimes, thinking about how easy we generally get through compared to the nightmares we read about in the Central and South American consulates, not to even MENTION the MENA (Middle East, North Africa) area? I mean, the worst things we have to worry about is a couple-month backlog at Montreal and accidentally leaving the US without an AP document! That's like nothing! Do we have it too easy? :)

To me, guilt is part of the options package - you can get it if you want it. I don't do guilt and find it to be an empty and less than helpful response to anything at hand. I'm mindful and sensitive to what others around me go through but things are what they are and I'm glad that I'm filing from Canada.

I don't feel guilty per say about having while others have less but am always glad to help others in need and do what I can to make things better for others.

I wish everyone the best of luck.

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a US citizen and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it either. :)

We have to go through the same steps as anyone else going through this process. Really don't know why we'd feel guilty.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Nope, no guilt at all.

Everyone has to go thought the same process, and really the backlog in Montreal was pretty bad, when other consulates let people pick their interview dates, and we just had to wait, oh, like 4-5 months.

I see where OP is coming from tho, their time line was really short.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Guilt? No, but it does make me grateful that we are filing thru Montreal.

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

no guilt at all, actually I more mad at the fact, when both countries are so close that you cant file for a visa in US. or even do the medical here and interview there or some sort of comprmise between the two.. For ex. I live 10 mins from a medical office that does immigrant medicals in the states but still had to travel to montreal to get it done... when its the same exact questions and everything... As far as other countries it sucks but we all deal with the process some get more scrutinized than others, because of high fraud and other underlying factors.

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage :

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-07

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-14

I-130 Approved : 2009-06-12

Receive IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Pay IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-08-28

Case Completed at NVC :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received : 2009-12-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-10

Interview Date : 2010-01-06 Submit Review

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 59 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 267 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Timeline

I wouldn't say I feel guilty about being Canadian, because each of our journeys are filled with out own struggles. It is probably easier to get a visa when you're Canadian, but lets remember that there have been lots of people from Canada, in this forum alone, that have had a lot of trouble. We have seen a few denials, people being denied entry into the US before and after receiving their visa, medical complications, legal questions, all of it. Its just less common.

I think the better way to put it, at least for me, is that I feel bad for some people from other countries who unnecessarily face complications because of the country they come from and nothing more. It's also sad to hear about people who need to spend $1,000+ on a plane ticket to fly half way across the world to see their loved ones. That would really suck.

Timeline

I know exactly what the OP means...I don't feel guilty persay but I can see we have some advantages over some other countries. while doing AOS and now ROC in the US....I have it pretty easy, I already speak english. I have seen folks with less then perfect english who are treated disrespectfully at the immigration office. I think it must be just an added layer of frustration to be learning english on top of everything else going on. Yes, they chose it, but you all know what I mean.

In my daily dealings, absolutely no one pegs me as an immigrant, because I 'fit in' (whatever that means in their little minds).....so yah, we have it pretty easy start to finish. we don't have to bribe anyone, no one thinks we Cdns are trying to 'just get a GC'... we don't have to travel too far through uncivilized territory or anything else (unless you call downtown Montreal the wilderness :) )

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Honestly I've felt the same way sometimes - but we still have to go through the same process. We just don't have quite the same level of scrutiny as other countries.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You should add a poll! I bet there would be one guilt-ridden poll taker (you) and 99% guilt-free poll takers (us). :P

One of my husband's co-workers (a spanish speaking US citizen) is currently house-hunting. The realtor they were dealing with asked them if they had their greencard. :o:angry:

First, you moronic twit...... not all home buyers in the US are American citizens.

Secondly, you simpleminded pinhead..... you don't require citizenship to purchase property here.

Lastly, you brainless bonehead..... having an accent doesn't make you an illegal. :bonk:

That realtor is now their ex-realtor. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After the years of going through so many phases (TN status, to marriage to Green Card, to Citizenship) I realized everyone has pretty much the same path with regards to the marriage part, regardless for the country. I know some people from 3rd world nations that seemed to get it a lot easier then me. Many countries have the Green Card lottery which Canada is excluded from. I knew a girl who came here and immediatly got a green card without ever even visiting the US before in her life and became a permenant resident GC holder because of the lottery. That is who would have the guilt if someone had to have it. I worked my #### off and went through hellish forms and interviews and so on, I don't have one bit of guilt in my body at all...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.