Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm sure I'll be flamed, but as a breastfeeding mom, I worked very hard to be successful at it. That's not to put down anyone else. Honestly, I feel like people are very sensitive about the issue, and I don't think that means that I should have to hush up about breastfeeding. Similarly, I didn't want to have a C-section and I am glad I didn't have to have one. Not because I wanted to have a "medal". Why should I feel the need to qualify every statement I make with, "...but whatever decision you've made for your child/family is great and I respect it!"? Every opinion a mother has about raising her own child seems to be interpreted as a putdown if you did not do the same thing. Why is that? It's like constantly walking on eggshells. I will admit that I'm guilty of being oversensitive and overreacting to certain issues as well - circumcision for one. But why should it matter so much? I think we all just need to get over it.

I don't think we should have to walk on eggshells, or defend our parenting choices, either.

But I do think suggesting that Lisa was having her child sleep on an electrified bed was a bit much.

SA4userbar.jpg

OK so my wife is 22 weeks this weekend and my friends who recently had babies (recently=last two years) are all emailing me and my wife coupons and deals for diapers, telling us to stock up.

I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. Isn't this wayyyyyyyy too early? I was just looking at an offer on the website of a local grocery store - they are offering 50USD savings bonds for every 100USD of Pampers I buy but only if I buy them NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW.

/end rant

Wait until you feel comfortable to start buying stuff. I think I mentioned that I didn't start buying anything until nearly the third trimester, but I'm a little weird that way.

Believe me, there will be no shortage of diaper deals (and all kinds of other baby stuff deals) coming your way! I don't imagine you'll miss out on saving a pile of cash because you didn't want a closet full of diapers months in advance. Although I have to admit, the savings bond thing sounds like a good deal...if a little weird. :whistle:

I just kinda switched off during most of the pregnancy because I felt it was counting chickens. I was 36 weeks when I had my shower, and a lot of people thought that was a bit late. "What if the baby comes early!!"--like shower timing would be my first concern. :wacko:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

LOL I was 35 weeks when I had a baby shower - I was huge!! I didnt want to buy anything much before hand becasue I didnt know how big my baby would be. So basicly I just got a few of everything (but got a lot of cloth during shower, sadly, Sam wore then once or had never wear them).

So I think hold up on the daiper, or if you want to buy, just get a bag or two, then buy more on the bigger size. The newborn size was useless for me and I used size one for 1 month only. Now Sam has been in size 4 for a while now and I'm very happy it's going to take a long time until he outgrow those :)

Oh and Thank you momma for suggestions a few pages earlier... man.. the page went to fast I couldnt keep up!!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Timeline

So consensus here is too early for diapers. Good.

Now one more question. A friend of mine is due within a few days of my wife so she is also 22 weeks. She and her husband are going on a hospital tour this weekend. I thought that wasn't till much later? Also she tells me we should have registered with the hospital a few weeks ago. We didn't know. When did all of you do that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Now one more question. A friend of mine is due within a few days of my wife so she is also 22 weeks. She and her husband are going on a hospital tour this weekend. I thought that wasn't till much later? Also she tells me we should have registered with the hospital a few weeks ago. We didn't know. When did all of you do that?

We did tour/registration around 32 wks IIRC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

didnt get to tour but it was no problem for us.

We didnt do any classes either but we had a doula and Sam was a good nurser since birth so I was lucky or I wouldnt know what to do :)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you God - Eloise slept 4 hour stretches last night after she only ever slept 2 hours and only ever in my arms, I sit in bed which is not that terrible but for some reason I clench my teeth then which gives me a headache, ouch...

Diapers... well I have tons of cloth diapers, but Eloise is so tiny we have to buy preemie Huggies for now, and I hate spending money on those since I have diapers here... And preemie diapers are not sold in big packs, only in the small packs, so you dish out $10 for each package of 31 diapers. Horrible, I already spent $60 on diapers in 2 weeks. I cannot wait til she gets bigger.... So if you plan on disposable diapers, it's wise to do the research where to get them el cheapo (there is no cheapo place for preemie ones though, sigh). I hear great things about Amazon mom, the diapers are 30% off and they ship 2nd day air... And you can stack coupons there as well.

Jenn, I think you put it nicely. I think many issues mentioned are never intended to hurt anyone's feelings, it just happens that some choose different paths than others, and sometimes nature/God just makes choices for us (in regard to how we deliver, if we are able to breastfeed). On a side note, making breastfeeding work with Jona was major work with all the pumping and such, and this time it comes so easy to me. It can be different with different babies.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

As far as I know, you really don't have to do either. Registering at the hospital beforehand just saves you from having to fill out forms while your wife is in labor (assuming she doesn't have a scheduled induction or c-section). We took a tour, and it wasn't all that informative. The important thing to know is where to go when labor starts! Our baby was born at one of those "birthing suite" hospitals, where the baby stays in the room with you, and the tour mainly emphasized things like the in-room CD player and the option to order food using the TV remote. .

I actually registered thinking that I was reserving a space (pregnancy brain dontchaknow), but at least at my hospital, it doesn't work that way. I guess that makes sense when you consider that in most cases, you don't know when the baby will decide to come!

If memory serves, I registered at the hospital a couple of months before my due date and took the tour about six weeks before.

If this is relevant, I took a 3-part childbirth class at the same hospital where I delivered--that was actually helpful, because we got both general information, and information specific to the hospital--like where to park.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll be 23 weeks on Sunday, and we plan on touring the hospital this weekend too. But that is only cause we were told not to wait too long. Plus I'm not sure what hospital I want to deliver at. There is 3 all the same distance so I want to pick the best one for a natural delivery as possible.

As for diapers I don't think I will buy any till just before hand. We have bought other baby things, all different sizes.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Yeah I was thinking about the parking thing. I've been to this particular hospital a bunch of times and there's a bit of a hike from parking in the deck to actually being inside. A network of corridors and 2-3 (depending on where you're going) elevator rides.

They should just have a computer based training module online.

I don't know if this is typical, but the person who gave the hospital tour wasn't a medical professional, so she couldn't answer questions like, "What happens if I change my mind and want an epidural?" It was more like, "Check in here, triage in this room, then you'll be transferred to this room, and wow! Look at all the in-room amenities [that you probably won't use because you'll be trying to sleep or feeding the baby or...]!" It wasn't completely useless, but I thought it would be more informative. That's probably my own ignorance, though. Your doctor is likely the best source of information regarding the hospital's policies and services, particularly if you have specific needs or have a certain birth in mind (pain interventions or lack thereof, etc.). If your doctor has privileges at that hospital, he/she should know the score.

K-1

AOS

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Lisa: Don't worry about leaving...I'm out of here. I apologize for giving you sleepless nights. My comment was not meant to be offensive. I'm sure whatever your choices are, they are right, just like everybody elses choice...It's not like you go out and buy the next best thing out there...you've probably thought about it and figured it was what you needed and obviously for you it works wonderful so that is great.

I'm out of here-it's a baby corner, my kids are too old so what the heck am I still doing here.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019