markordj

tough new start in the US

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

i'm a singapore citizen and my wife is usc. we met and married in singapore.

i was working as a project planning engineering for construction projects in singapore. really happy about getting a green card and moving to the states.

now have been here in dallas area for 2 months. still looking for an engineering job.

i'm working 2 jobs, one in target on the sales floor and the other one is 24-hr fitness selling memberships.

these jobs don't pay much, just a little bit above minimum wage. my wife works at a retail clothing store at the mall. she has a marketing degree. we are really in a tight budget now, while when we were in singapore we used to live quite comfortably cause i had a pretty good career.

i used to apply to about 5-10 jobs per day when i just got here but now that i'm working, i don't do as much. but i need to work to have some income. have had 3 phone interviews so far for engineering positions and an interview with a recruiting agency.

i'm doing works that i don't like, something that don't fit with what i was trained to do. i imagine if can't find an engineering and i got stuck doing this job for an extended time, i just feel hopeless. i knew it's gonna take some time to look for a suitable job, probably 6 months, but it's not in my control so that doesn't feel good.

right now our standard of living is lower than what we're used to in singapore cause we wanna keep our budget low. sometime we wonder if we made the right decision to move here cause we feel that it's really tough right now. i hope we did. the reason we move here is to start a family here and give the best opportunities for our children that they otherwise might not have in singapore. in the long run, we're gonna look back and we're gonna be happy that we moved here. the best thing is that we have each other right now.

i'm kinda stressed out right now, so i'm just sounding out. hope to get some support from VJ members as a group. keen to hear your stories.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I understand how you're feeling. I hope you're able to find a job in your area of expertise. It must be tough on you and your wife. I'm also worried about finding a job as soon as I get to the States. The only reason I'm moving to the U.S. is to be with my husband-- if my husband spoke Hindi/Bengali and was a little more familiar with India, he'd move here.

I am actually curious why your wife didn't move to Singapore with you--immigration process is easier, quicker, the facilities, job opportunities, level of education and standard of living are as good as any First World country. Besides it's super clean and a shopper's paradise.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
I understand how you're feeling. I hope you're able to find a job in your area of expertise. It must be tough on you and your wife. I'm also worried about finding a job as soon as I get to the States. The only reason I'm moving to the U.S. is to be with my husband-- if my husband spoke Hindi/Bengali and was a little more familiar with India, he'd move here.

I am actually curious why your wife didn't move to Singapore with you--immigration process is easier, quicker, the facilities, job opportunities, level of education and standard of living are as good as any First World country. Besides it's super clean and a shopper's paradise.

she did live & worked in singapore before she met me. based on our experience in the US (I went to high school & college in the US), we just like it better here. You can find almost whatever they have in singapore in the US, but there are a lot of things in the US that you can't find in singapore legally (eg. chewing gum).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Good point on the chewing gum. I forgot about that.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

LOL - wow, imagine gum being outlawed in the States. There'd be riots....

It sounds like you're kept very busy at work, but it's worth suggesting nonetheless. Have you looked around for any volunteer work, something you could maybe do for a couple hours a week?

With the utmost respect to you and all retail store employees in general, you're not meeting people who are heading in the same direction as you careerwise. Unless, as I'm sure is true, many professional graduates are doing whatever work they can in the current climate. Volunteering puts you in touch with people who are either older and have more free time or generally very community spirited so tend to know a lot of people. Same with church. I'm not suggesting you find Faith in order to move ahead professionally lol, but that if you are religious but not actively practising, finding a church you enjoy attending is great for becoming involved in the community and again, having an opportunity to meet people who may know someone who knows someone.

Also, see about doing some kind of class at your local community college. It will help you get US recognised training and experience and you never know who you're going to come across.

It really sounds like you're in a very normal phase of adjustment. It's a culture shock for sure but it sounds like you know that it will pass and that you won't be in the same situation forever. Keep strong and remind yourself on a daily basis (i'll be sure to go buy shares in wrigley's now!) why you decided to move and what you are already benefitting from by being Stateside.

Chin up and good luck!

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Timeline

Hope everything works out , i had been talking a lady in singapore also, she lives and works there as a maid shes from the philippines we have talked for almost 2 yrs , but i broke it off right before i was deciding to go there out of the fear of this same situation happening. wish you the best

Good luck Mark, dont lose hope.

Like you I am currently in a position that has absolutely nothing to do with what I was originally trained to do. I guess I just feel lucky to have a job at all given the levels of unemployment that exist in Florida. Still....some days as I am heading out to work, it gets me down. I am under utilized, working in a job that presents no real challenge to me at all and I feel like my brain is turning into a pile of jello.

But.

I kind of knew that coming here meant starting again. From the bottom and working back up and I mentally prepared myself for this.

You have come to the US at a time of great economical instability and joblessness. Think of it this way.

The only way is up.

Keep your chin up, hoping things get better for you soon.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

I think it's something most of us have to go through.

My wife (USC) is only working part time (Not by choice) and I only just got my EAD approved. We live in an apartment and it is very stressful to try to find rent and we get no help from her family. Right now I don't care what job I get i'll just be happy to bring in some money.

I'd give it some time as you have only been there 2 months. Times like this either make or break you.

Good Luck and if things get real bad there is always Ramen Noodles!!!

Luke and Deanna

us_uk_flag-1.jpg

Our Timeline...
06-03-2007. Met Online
07-09-2007. Met in Person in the US
07-04-2008. WE GOT ENGAGED!!!

I-129F Timeline...

12-15-2008. Sent I-129F Petition to CSC
12-18-2008. NOA1. Money order cashed
05-22-2009. NOA2 APPROVED!
09-16-2009. Medical
09-28-2009. Interview. APPROVED!!!
10-06-2009. Visa received
10-10-2009. U.S. Entry
11-07-2009. Wedding

AOS Timeline...
11-30-2009. Sent AOS
12-07-2009. NOA1
01-07-2010. Biometrics appointment
01-12-2010. Transferred to CSC
02-17-2010. I-485 Card Production Ordered & Welcome Notice Sent
02-26-2010. GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

ROC Timeline...
12-28-2011. Sent ROC
12-29-2011. NOA1
02-15-2012. Biometrics appointment (Walk in on 01-26-2012)
06-06-2012. ROC APPROVED!!!
06-19-2012. 10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

Citizenship Timeline...
11-27-2012. Sent N-400
11-29-2012. NOA1
12-28-2012. Biometrics appointment
01-11-2013. In line for interview
01-28-2013. Notice of Interview Scheduled (Letter in mailbox 02-01-3013)
03-01-2013. Interview
05-08-2013. OATH DATE!
IM A CITIZEN!!!

Hi markordj! Stay strong and keep up the perseverance. I actually spent some time working in Dallas (at the old Nortel Building off of 75; out of business now). I am sure you know already how big the Dallas metroplex is. If you are willing to handle the traffic have you considered moving around any to find parts of the city that may have good job opportunities and lower cost of living? Up 75 past the G.Bush towards McKinney has a lower cost of living but is still close to things. Maybe also consider taking some classes at UTD or another college part time. That can help refocus things and potentially lead to better job opportunity (My fiance from Singapore many years ago ran into the same type of situations).

Hang in there... Every day is one step closer!

My responses are derived from personal experiences and from the knowledge I have gained from others over time. I do my best but on occasion I could be wrong. Be warned! I am not a lawyer, I am an Engineer!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello.

Would you like me to look at your resume? I am an electrical engineer and sometimes if the resume isn't emphasizing the right things, it gets immediately thrown in the garbage. If you want me to take a look at it, let me know.

Thanks,

Nicole

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Well, I know how you feel. I just got my EAD and applied for my first job here on Friday. Taking a break this weekend before starting the search again on Monday ! After working for 12 years as a Banking and IT Professional in India, it is rather humbling to have to start from scratch again.

And the lack of credit history and driving records dosent help with interest rates or insurance quotes either !

Starting life over is not easy but since we (the ones who relocated) made that decision with our spouses, we just have to do it and stay positive.

Volunteering and networking locally is a great idea (something I need to do too). Good Luck with finding a break in your line of interest. Keep persevering !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My grandfather came to the USA from Mexico in 1911 and worked in the fields his whole life.

Good luck.

Edited by TexPamp

K-1

March 17, 2008.....I-129F Packet sent to Vermont Service Center

March 20, 2008.....I-129F arrived at Vermont Service Center

March 21, 2008.....NOA 1

May 27, 2008........NOA2

June 19, 2008.......Delbros Paid

June 30, 2008.......Medical (Passed)

July 18, 2008........Interview (Passed, Pink and White slip)

Sept 17, 2008.......Recieved Visa

Sept 19, 2008.......CFO at St. Mary's

Sept 22, 2008.......Travel to USA, POE Honolulu, Late night arrival to Las Vegas

Sept 23, 2008.......MARRIED

Sept 25, 2008.......Left Las Vegas driving home

Sept 26, 2008.......Arrived in El Paso, Texas

AOS

December 8, 2008 Package sent

December 26, 2008 NOA

8114.gif

Timeline
LOL - wow, imagine gum being outlawed in the States. There'd be riots....

It sounds like you're kept very busy at work, but it's worth suggesting nonetheless. Have you looked around for any volunteer work, something you could maybe do for a couple hours a week?

With the utmost respect to you and all retail store employees in general, you're not meeting people who are heading in the same direction as you careerwise. Unless, as I'm sure is true, many professional graduates are doing whatever work they can in the current climate. Volunteering puts you in touch with people who are either older and have more free time or generally very community spirited so tend to know a lot of people. Same with church. I'm not suggesting you find Faith in order to move ahead professionally lol, but that if you are religious but not actively practising, finding a church you enjoy attending is great for becoming involved in the community and again, having an opportunity to meet people who may know someone who knows someone.

Also, see about doing some kind of class at your local community college. It will help you get US recognised training and experience and you never know who you're going to come across.

It really sounds like you're in a very normal phase of adjustment. It's a culture shock for sure but it sounds like you know that it will pass and that you won't be in the same situation forever. Keep strong and remind yourself on a daily basis (i'll be sure to go buy shares in wrigley's now!) why you decided to move and what you are already benefitting from by being Stateside.

Chin up and good luck!

meeting people through volunteering, religious events, or classes...that's good advice...thank you....i might join a rec soccer league for over 30's too...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.