9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Question 1

Where on my paperwork do I change my name for the AoS?

I have read somewhere that it will cost 300$ if I change it after...

If I remember, on the wedding certificate it didn't say anywhere that I am changing it. I do remember the lady at the wedding asking me if I wanted to change my name.. (to which I said yes and selected the name).

When I went for my SSN, they wouldn't allow me to change my name yet, since we hadn't received our marriage certificate yet, which we have now.

The question I'm asking now is that on the forms I'm currently filling for AoS, do I use my maiden name or married name?

Should I change it ASAP at the SSN office? Then use it everywhere, or can I use my married name on the AoS form before changing it at the SSN office?

Question 2

My husband found a USCIS doctor near us and they'll charge us 90$ to transcribe the vaccination records to the I-693 and seal it..

Does that sound right?

Do I even have to fill this form since I had my medical done in Montreal last November? :unsure:

Question 3

I found out I need to have a new translated copy of my birth certificate cause I didn't make any photocopy of the one I sent them..

We are going to ask a friend to do the translation for us (stupid that I can't do it myself).

Do I have to find a certified translator, or as long they sign the paper as the guide on VJ tell us to do should be okay?

Thanks!~ :)

Process took us 1 year and 5 month from I-129F to Green Card

*09-??-2006* Met online @ world of warcraft

*~3 years later*

*01-??-2009* Relationship started

*03-01-2009* Went to see him 1 week

*03-05-2009* We got engaged

*04-06-2009* Sent I-129F

*04-07-2009* I-129F received at USCIS (California)

*04-09-2009* NOA1 received

*04-17-2009* He came to see me that weekend

*05-30-2009* He came visit me for 1 week

*07-01-2009* Still waiting the Noa2

*07-17-2009* OMG IT GOT TOUCH!! XD

*07-20-2009* Got the Noa2 without trouble!

*08-14-2009* Went to see him 2 week!

*08-18-2009* Got the packet 3!

*09-08-2009* sent Pack 3

*10-27-2009* Packet 4 received!

*11-06-2009* Gone for 1 week to see my baby

*11-20-2009* Medical at medisys + Police certificate

*12-01-2009* INTERVIEW Passed!! success!

*01-08-2010* Big Move ^^

*01-09-2010* Wedding

*02-26-2010* Filling for AoS

*03-10-2010* NOA

*03-30-2010* Biometrics taken

*09-24-2010* AOS Aproval

*I did not request my EAD or AP

*We did not get an interview

*09-30-2010* Green Card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Question 1

Where on my paperwork do I change my name for the AoS? You put your last name as whatever the new one is - your husband's I presume or a hyphenaation of both if that's what you want. Going forward USCIS will send mail to your new last name if that's what you put in the field

I have read somewhere that it will cost 300$ if I change it after... no - just put the new last name on your forms

If I remember, on the wedding certificate it didn't say anywhere that I am changing it. I do remember the lady at the wedding asking me if I wanted to change my name.. (to which I said yes and selected the name). The wedding certificate shows your maiden name and your husband's so there's the trail of your old name and your new name to be

When I went for my SSN, they wouldn't allow me to change my name yet, since we hadn't received our marriage certificate yet, which we have now.

The question I'm asking now is that on the forms I'm currently filling for AoS, do I use my maiden name or married name? Married - they have a field for your maiden name on it as well

Should I change it ASAP at the SSN office? Then use it everywhere, or can I use my married name on the AoS form before changing it at the SSN office? I don't think it matters - you don't have to have an SSN to do your AOS. File your AOS using your married name now and then visit the SSN office with your marriage certificate when you have time - soon of course

Question 2

My husband found a USCIS doctor near us and they'll charge us 90$ to transcribe the vaccination records to the I-693 and seal it..

Does that sound right?

Do I even have to fill this form since I had my medical done in Montreal last November? :unsure:

Question 3

I found out I need to have a new translated copy of my birth certificate cause I didn't make any photocopy of the one I sent them..

We are going to ask a friend to do the translation for us (stupid that I can't do it myself).

Do I have to find a certified translator, or as long they sign the paper as the guide on VJ tell us to do should be okay?

I'll leave # 2 and 3 to someone more knowledgeable

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I just used my husbands last name for everything I filled out on AOS. My EAD and AP both have my new last name. Your marriage cert. will show your previous name, plus your husbands, therefore that alone will prove you have a new last name. I waited until I got my EAD in my married name before changing my SSN. After all, can't work until the EAD anyway. For some reason, I wasn't "updated" in their system, but the guy did it manually so I should be receiving my new card soon.

As far as transcribing goes. You DO NOT need another medical. Make sure the doctors understand that you've had one within the last year. I have read that some people have been getting RFE's for the medical not being transcribed, however, I did not do that, and my case is transferred to CSC. They may or may not RFE me on it. If I get approved, then I've saved some $$$ by NOT transcribing it. I guess it's a chance to take. If you get RFE'd for it, it shouldn't take long to do, and not hold up your case too bad.

Real sorry that I can't answer # 3 for you. Hope you get an answer for that soon.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Having your friend do the translation should be fine. I don't know what the VJ guide you're referring to, but just have them sign at the bottom a declaration that they've translated the document and have their identifying information there as well.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Question 1

Where on my paperwork do I change my name for the AoS?

I have read somewhere that it will cost 300$ if I change it after...

If I remember, on the wedding certificate it didn't say anywhere that I am changing it. I do remember the lady at the wedding asking me if I wanted to change my name.. (to which I said yes and selected the name).

The question I'm asking now is that on the forms I'm currently filling for AoS, do I use my maiden name or married name?

Should I change it ASAP at the SSN office? Then use it everywhere, or can I use my married name on the AoS form before changing it at the SSN office?

Question 2

Does that sound right?

Question 3

1. Just put your married name on all of your AOS paperwork. You'll want to get it changed it on your SSN first, though, which is what I did.

2. As long as the doc understands that you don't need the full medical, $90 sounds about right. I almost got fooled by one civil surgeon who kept wanting to do a TB test on me, give me the full medical and charge me about $130. I argued for about 30 minutes with him before I took my paperwork and brought it to another civil surgeon who knew exactly what I needed and charged me $50 for the transcription. He recommended another Tdap shot, though because I only had two and he informed me that the USCIS/INS can get a bit picky about that.

3. I think you'll have to have a certified translator with a stamp and everything. I got mine done in Taiwan.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
1. Just put your married name on all of your AOS paperwork. You'll want to get it changed it on your SSN first, though, which is what I did.

2. As long as the doc understands that you don't need the full medical, $90 sounds about right. I almost got fooled by one civil surgeon who kept wanting to do a TB test on me, give me the full medical and charge me about $130. I argued for about 30 minutes with him before I took my paperwork and brought it to another civil surgeon who knew exactly what I needed and charged me $50 for the transcription. He recommended another Tdap shot, though because I only had two and he informed me that the USCIS/INS can get a bit picky about that.

3. I think you'll have to have a certified translator with a stamp and everything. I got mine done in Taiwan.

Hope this helps!

Tina

alright thanks :) sounds good

i found a place for the translator we will call and see how much they charge...

*~3 years later*

*04-06-2009* Sent I-129F

*09-08-2009* sent Pack 3

*01-08-2010* Big Move ^^

*01-09-2010* Wedding

*03-10-2010* NOA

*09-24-2010* AOS Aproval

Timeline
Having your friend do the translation should be fine. I don't know what the VJ guide you're referring to, but just have them sign at the bottom a declaration that they've translated the document and have their identifying information there as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ge=translations

Per the USCIS, documents not in English must be translated. The policy states as follows:

"All documents that are in a language other than English must be submitted with a translation. The person translating the document must certify that the translation is complete and accurate and that he/she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English."

All translations must include a statement similar to the following:

Certification by Translator:

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and

languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the

document attached entitled .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

I just used my husbands last name for everything I filled out on AOS. My EAD and AP both have my new last name. Your marriage cert. will show your previous name, plus your husbands, therefore that alone will prove you have a new last name. I waited until I got my EAD in my married name before changing my SSN. After all, can't work until the EAD anyway. For some reason, I wasn't "updated" in their system, but the guy did it manually so I should be receiving my new card soon.

As far as transcribing goes. You DO NOT need another medical. Make sure the doctors understand that you've had one within the last year. I have read that some people have been getting RFE's for the medical not being transcribed, however, I did not do that, and my case is transferred to CSC. They may or may not RFE me on it. If I get approved, then I've saved some $$$ by NOT transcribing it. I guess it's a chance to take. If you get RFE'd for it, it shouldn't take long to do, and not hold up your case too bad.

Real sorry that I can't answer # 3 for you. Hope you get an answer for that soon.

*~3 years later*

*04-06-2009* Sent I-129F

*09-08-2009* sent Pack 3

*01-08-2010* Big Move ^^

*01-09-2010* Wedding

*03-10-2010* NOA

*09-24-2010* AOS Aproval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Question 1

Where on my paperwork do I change my name for the AoS? You put your married name as your name, and your maiden name in the "former name" box.

I have read somewhere that it will cost 300$ if I change it after... Yes it is. if you want to change your greencard etc AFTER you have received them it IS a $300 fee. Some people (a few I've read) suddenly decided after getting their greencard they want to take their husbands name and have had to pay to get it changed. (here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0045f3d6a1RCRD)

If I remember, on the wedding certificate it didn't say anywhere that I am changing it. I do remember the lady at the wedding asking me if I wanted to change my name.. (to which I said yes and selected the name). It's very strange to me that not all states are the same, but in Iowa your previous and married name are on the licence and SOME states say that if your new name isn't on the licence then you can't change your name (one or two states require you to fill in and sign in your "new name"), others don't have this rule. What i've come to realise is if the SSA allow you to change it, then that's all that matters (the lack of married name on the licence being irrelevant) and then you can your the SS card as proof of new name, as well as the marriage licence.

When I went for my SSN, they wouldn't allow me to change my name yet, since we hadn't received our marriage certificate yet, which we have now. Some offices won't allow you to change it until AFTER you have completed AOS. it doesn't matter if you wait.

The question I'm asking now is that on the forms I'm currently filling for AoS, do I use my maiden name or married name? Married if this is the name you want. As stated above, if you decide to change after AOS is complete you will need to pay for it.

Should I change it ASAP at the SSN office? Then use it everywhere, or can I use my married name on the AoS form before changing it at the SSN office? You can put it on the form BEFORE changing it at the SSA. In my personal situation I will be changing my SSN AFTER I have my EAD etc (putting my married name on ALL forms) so that the "DHS Authorization" is removed. Apparently some offices will only do it this way anyway (I assume to lower the amount of work for them or something like that). I was able to change my name on my bank cards simply by showing my marriage certificate. You can start using it now, or if it makes your life easier, wait till you have your GC so it's all uniform all at once

Question 2

Does that sound right? Apparently yes. Some places are a bit cheaper, some a bit more. Some people have had no issues with simply sending the copy of their vaccination records from the K1 medical, others have. From what I hear, it's been a lot since November last year where the I-693 is almost required. I think this is because the requirements changed recently (and in December). Shop around if you like in your area, see if there's a CS cheaper, or you can just send in your vaccination records from your K1 and hope that you don't get an RFE asking for the 693 (it will just ask you to do it losing a bit of time, nothing else really). Again this is JUST for the vaccinations. You will not require a new medical.

Do I even have to fill this form since I had my medical done in Montreal last November? :unsure:See above

Question 3

No idea here. Saw someone else above helped you out there.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.