aidan80

Going back home to Ireland.. the North of anyway

85 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I would not move back to Northern Ireland after living in the US unless you really, really like small town life. It will feel very clausterphobic and parochial, because that is what it is and there are very few oppertunities work wise.

That said, I love the country and visiting (when the weather co-operates) is wonderful.

I'm no expert on the economy of Northern Ireland.

However I do know that there is a vibrant high tech sector, in part because of generous tax subsidies by the UK government to lure businesses to locate there. For example, Wombat Financial Software is amongst the leading market data feed vendor companies in the world, headquartered in Belfast. They were bought by NYSE EURONEXT a few years ago and rechristened NYSE Technologies. NYSE has since decided to make a strategic commitment to Belfast as its center of technological expertise. They have a new building and are dramatically ramping up their hiring there.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Here's my two cents for whatever they are worth: Stay in the states but move to a place that you have always wanted to live. It's you and your cat. Surely, that isn't difficult to pack you two up and to go someplace else. See about lining up a decent job before you get there. Hang in the US and apply for your citizenship in 2011 - if you're eligible in August, you'll most likely have it by December 2011. What happens if you go back to Ireland and realize you really had become accustomed to the US and now you'd have to go through all the hoops again?

bingo! :thumbs:

move around a little before going back, see if you like it elsewhere in the US, you have nothing to lose since you don't have to be in Ireland for any particular reason.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks again everyone I am weighing up my options. I think going on my trip back will help me figure out what to do and also let me visit people again then I can rethink it all. Who knows I could go back and love it or I could come running back here and think.. maybe I should check out somewhere further north lol.

I was looking at jobs and I do have to say there are more IT jobs (that are in my lines of work) in and around Belfast than I've seen posted in and around Orlando and the pay rates are decent enough too. It is tempting alright because it does seem like the IT industry is in a boom even though there's still a recession or the ends of it at least. My only worry is that boom is another bubble that would bust.

There's a lot to weigh up just when I thought I had all the pros and cons nailed down I think about it all over again and there's been many good points raised here in this thread. One of the many benefits of querying the hive mind of a message board.

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Timeline

Hey Aidan, I don't have advice, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck whatever you do.

OK, wait, I have one piece of advice....I would seriously consider getting citizenship before leaving. That way, if you and the wife ever reconcile, or whatever...you have options.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I would seriously consider getting citizenship before leaving. That way, if you and the wife ever reconcile, or whatever...you have options.

:rofl: That is funny!.. The wife is now an ex all options are as dead as the marriage that was dissolved! Although citizenship would be handy I suppose I'll have to figure out what to do. Anyway no pressure I've a decent and stable (I hope!) enough job for right now so all is well.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Have you thought about moving to another country like Canada or Australia?

Their unemployment rate just dropped again and they are always looking for workers. I am also sure you have heard me talk about their high standard of living. You also have a lot of views that are shared with people in either country. Australia has the best of the UK and Orlando style weather to offer in numerous places.

Edited by Booyah

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

I thought about it and I'd be able to apply for it around August 2011 then I'd be on the waiting list! I've still not 100% made up my mind yet. I'm still thinking the move would be best but I'm going to visit check some stuff out first. I don't wanna move over then find I was better off staying lol Who knows I could visit and hate the idea then I'd look elsewhere in the States. I think if I stayed I'd look where there's just a few more Irish people lol

Boston! :)

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]