mrsjohnsonscat

Parental approval for immigration

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
A question: I know that there has to be parental 'sign off' before a child is allowed to leave the country. Her ex' has signed for the daughter, but not the son. He's willing to sign, but his sister who recently had a hysterectomy and has now lost any chance of having children, has decided for him that the boy needs to stay next to the family. Unfortunately the father is a living, breathing stereotype of Russian men, so he's pretty much doing what he's told for his next drink or fix...at least for now.
Oh come on. Do you really need to be told the solution to this? Pay the guy off and be done with it. Offer $1000 and be willing to go as high as you can afford.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Oh come on. Do you really need to be told the solution to this? Pay the guy off and be done with it. Offer $1000 and be willing to go as high as you can afford.

Why do you keep giving strange advice while the solution is simple - they should go to a lawyer??

Or you think you know Russian pshychology? Or you personnaly know that guy? Or his sister???

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Timeline

Russian Federal law #114 of 1996 (http://base.consultant.ru/cons/cgi/online.cgi?req=doc;base=LAW;n=95210 ) says what i said - "An underage child normally travels abroad with one of the parents. If a child travels alone than the consent of both parents is required. In case either of the parents objects the underage child to travel abroad, such parent must submit his/her objection to the court and the possibility to travel outside Russia will be reviewed by the court".

I strongly recommend the author (his fiancee actually) to contact a lawyer, not a forum. And to read the instructions / laws more attentive.

And find out if they really have a problem or it's more one of those 'fear has big eyes' (Russian saying) situations :).

And I wasn't asked to present that consent during my K1/K2 interview. What else to say?

Timeline
Why do you keep giving strange advice while the solution is simple - they should go to a lawyer??
Let me tell you what every single Russian I've ever personally known has told me about Russian Law. "It doesn't work!!!" If you bribe the right person (such as a judge), you can get whatever you want.
Or you think you know Russian pshychology? Or you personnaly know that guy? Or his sister???
I think anyone will do anything for a sufficient amount of cash. The guy's SISTER has no legal standing. I'm willing to bet the guy can be bought off for fairly cheap - as do a number of other people who posted before I did.

But if he isn't, I'm sure some "third party" would, for a reasonable sum, be willing to "persuade" the guy to wear a pink tutu and call you "mommy" if that's what you wanted him to do. Would probably cost less than paying the guy directly too.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
Let me tell you what every single Russian I've ever personally known has told me about Russian Law. "It doesn't work!!!" If you bribe the right person (such as a judge), you can get whatever you want.

I think anyone will do anything for a sufficient amount of cash. The guy's SISTER has no legal standing. I'm willing to bet the guy can be bought off for fairly cheap - as do a number of other people who posted before I did.

But if he isn't, I'm sure some "third party" would, for a reasonable sum, be willing to "persuade" the guy to wear a pink tutu and call you "mommy" if that's what you wanted him to do. Would probably cost less than paying the guy directly too.

I am Russian and as a Russian i can tell you that some Russians prefer to think that law doesn't work because a) it's easier to think that way and blame everything on that

b ) for some people it's easier to try to bribe rather than to read and understand the law;

c) they don't understand the consequences of bribing.. sometimes it's really easier to go legal way.

;)

but not going far away from the thread - the author i think doesn't even need to bribe anybody.

Edited by Kailey

Timeline
I am Russian and as a Russian i can tell you that some Russians prefer to think that law doesn't work because a) it's easier to think that way and blame everything on that

b ) for some people it's easier to try to bribe rather than to read and understand the law;

c) they don't understand the consequences of bribing.. sometimes it's really easier to go legal way.

;)

but not going far away from the thread - the author i think doesn't even need to bribe anybody.

I've had Russian lawyers tell me flat out that it is their experience that if you want "justice", the only way to guarantee it is by paying an adequate amount of bribe. I'll take their legal advice (:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

we went to a lawyer to draw up the papers. She said to bribe him. we did. It worked. everything in Russia is for sale, his sister has nothing to say, she can just take a long walk on a short pier. Pay the guy off and get his signature, he can deal with the sister. The sister is HIS problem, not the OPs

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I've had Russian lawyers tell me flat out that it is their experience that if you want "justice", the only way to guarantee it is by paying an adequate amount of bribe. I'll take their legal advice (:

:thumbs: It is also the way to get medical care, get your pension check delivered, get a corrected divorce certificate, get a health certificate for an animal, get a building permit, get approval on building inspections, get a drivers license. YES, I know the RUB mentality, I built buildings there for two years, you do not get anywhere or get anything without PAYING someone under the table.

This sage advice is also coming from the poster that mistakenly informed the OP he didn't need the letter at all. Incidentlaly you will need the letter EVERY time you exit Russia, even after the child has his green card (if he is under 16) so make sure the attorney that draws up the letter states that it is permission to relocate PERMANENTLY to the United States and that it also grants permission to remove the child from the country to the United States or ANY OTHER country the mother designates on future visits to Russia.

Pay off the father. My guess is $1000 or less will do it. He can give half to his whiny sister if he wants, that will shut her up also.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Another stereotype...all Russians are crooks and will accept bribes.

A number of years ago I went to visit my first Russian girlfriend at her apt. in the city of Ryazan. I screwed up and didn't get the proper home stay visa documents because it was my first such visit and my girlfriend didn't inform me. Of course, I need an invitation letter. I just had a regular tourist visa.

To make a long story short, we ended up at the OVIR office dealing with Russian's most notorious bureaucrats. We had to deal with this one woman and she kept making us get more documents (faxed or emailed from USA to a friend's machine). This went on for 3 days and I was getting nervous and my girlfriend was getting more and more annoyed. Finally my girlfriend decided maybe this woman wanted a bribe, so we got one of those envelopes people use to insert bribe money and put in $100. We went to meet this woman again and my girlfriend pulled out the envelope and pushed it to the woman across the table. The woman looked indignant and pushed it back...and then gave me the documents I needed. We were finally done.

Timeline

;)

You are a Russian and also said he wouldn't need the letter. WRONG. Why do you now advise him to "follow the law" when you said the law didn't require the letter. The OP should follow the advice of those of us who have been there and done that (inclduing our RUB wives) You are simply way off base here.

My advice to other VJers...this will be required. IF your fiancee has children, get this letter DONE and out of the way BEFORE you file the petition. The OP has surrendered a lot of power to this addicted pig and his sister because he is caring about this now when the interview is near. it means their price just went up. Such things can really be a deal breaker for women, If Alla could not have taken her children we would not have been moving to the USA, it is that simple. What would be the point of filing a petition if some drunk could stop us at the last moment? I mean that just was NOT going to happen.

For the OP it means he is going to have to pony up enough cash to satisfy two greedy Russians. probably still under $1000.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Russian Federal law #114 of 1996 (http://base.consultant.ru/cons/cgi/online.cgi?req=doc;base=LAW;n=95210 ) says what i said - "An underage child normally travels abroad with one of the parents. If a child travels alone than the consent of both parents is required. In case either of the parents objects the underage child to travel abroad, such parent must submit his/her objection to the court and the possibility to travel outside Russia will be reviewed by the court".

I strongly recommend the author (his fiancee actually) to contact a lawyer, not a forum. And to read the instructions / laws more attentive.

And find out if they really have a problem or it's more one of those 'fear has big eyes' (Russian saying) situations :).

And I wasn't asked to present that consent during my K1/K2 interview. What else to say?

Russian law does not matter, US law rules for visa issuance. If you were not asked for it, it was a mistake. The OP should not rely on the consulate making the same mistake. A Russian lawyer cannot tell the US consulate what to do.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Another stereotype...all Russians are crooks and will accept bribes.

A number of years ago I went to visit my first Russian girlfriend at her apt. in the city of Ryazan. I screwed up and didn't get the proper home stay visa documents because it was my first such visit and my girlfriend didn't inform me. Of course, I need an invitation letter. I just had a regular tourist visa.

To make a long story short, we ended up at the OVIR office dealing with Russian's most notorious bureaucrats. We had to deal with this one woman and she kept making us get more documents (faxed or emailed from USA to a friend's machine). This went on for 3 days and I was getting nervous and my girlfriend was getting more and more annoyed. Finally my girlfriend decided maybe this woman wanted a bribe, so we got one of those envelopes people use to insert bribe money and put in $100. We went to meet this woman again and my girlfriend pulled out the envelope and pushed it to the woman across the table. The woman looked indignant and pushed it back...and then gave me the documents I needed. We were finally done.

I dealt wqith Ukrainian government officials every day in building projects for the Ukrainian government, our client. Every one accepted and expected bribes. You found a very rare woman that was willing to actually do something and not take money.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary, on the web site of the US Embassy in Moscow there is a list of documents that must be submitted for K1/K2. I don't see that Consent anymore but i thought it was there actually when we started our own K1/K2 journey.

Moscow and Kiev Embassies have different requirements about children. I know that Ukranian women have more troubles with that Consent to Departure.

Russian law is less strict when a kid is leaving with one of the parents. But here - while they are still under the Russian jurisdiction - problems might take place at passport control that's why I went a bit further and even if they get k1/k2 without the father's permission, I think they should still either read the law (this is the way i would use - go to the source) or talk to a lawyer.

In what I agree with you is that the GENERAL advice should be - get that Consent if you can. Sure it's better to have it rather than not. Who argues?

Dixi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I dealt wqith Ukrainian government officials every day in building projects for the Ukrainian government, our client. Every one accepted and expected bribes. You found a very rare woman that was willing to actually do something and not take money.

I had a similar experience at the OVIR in Rostov. They were very willing to take "gifts" such as a bottle of wine or candy but would not accept money because too many people were watching.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline
I had a similar experience at the OVIR in Rostov. They were very willing to take "gifts" such as a bottle of wine or candy but would not accept money because too many people were watching.

Yes, for certain things, particularly low level "favors" such as speeding up the delivery of documents or for "tipping" someone for good service such as a doctor a "gift" is more customary than cash. We used to keep (and still do) a few bottles of wine, some particularly good tea, some chocolates, etc. around our flat for just such things. It is very bad form NOT to give a gift to someone who has done something "out of the ordinary" for you.

Cash works well for other things. :devil:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.