flsusi

Driving me nuts.....!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have my interview scheduled to be on Jan 19 - a mere 12 days from now, yet the waiting is driving me up the WALL!!!!

I have studied all the questions, organized my papers to be ready, got the additional passport pictures, and now there is nothing to do but WAIT WAIT WAIT.

don't get my wrong, I am not complaining. so far the whole N400 process has gone smoothly and quickly. It's just that I am so excited about it, and want to get it all done.... :wacko:

how did everyone deal with the waiting? did it drive you crazy also?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I have my interview scheduled to be on Jan 19 - a mere 12 days from now, yet the waiting is driving me up the WALL!!!!

I have studied all the questions, organized my papers to be ready, got the additional passport pictures, and now there is nothing to do but WAIT WAIT WAIT.

don't get my wrong, I am not complaining. so far the whole N400 process has gone smoothly and quickly. It's just that I am so excited about it, and want to get it all done.... :wacko:

For my wife, had to schedule a day off, but they let her work a 4/10 so she didn't have to take a vacation day, we were both busy, but had to set the alarm for 4:00 AM that day. Reviewed the test questions twice in our long drive over, had to wait another couple of hours as they are always slow and never keep appointments, and were pretty dead tired when we got home. Really no excitement, with that long drive, again, more like dread.

For us it was more of a question of getting everything right the first time, a couple of her friends had to go back which meant an overkill with evidence all neatly organized in a folder type briefcase. After her interview, went through that to make sure she got everything back. Then another wait of that oath letter, then another wait for her US passport. Wait is the name of the game. But wasn't concerned about her getting deported if she didn't pass the first time so didn't have that stress.

Filed: Timeline

Oh yes, it drove me insane. And turned out to be the easiest part! I got all the paperwork ready too, looked through it, double checking it a thousand times. Counting down the days. Me and my husband had our interview last month, Dec 22nd. It was easy breezy. This little, young, sweet, soft spoken lady was our interviewer. It was a small room. She asked us a few questions about how we met and where we lived. The only paperwork she asked us for was our kids birth certificates. I had all these pictures ready too. We were literally in and out in about 15 minutes. And I hear a lot of people have interview's like this, so don't worry too much. If you're like me, all the worrying is for nothing! Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congratulations on reaching this point in your journey, you say you have all your papers ready. Have you completed your passport application, a new SSN application and Voters enrolment, it may be possible to hand them in on the day, it seems endless waiting but there is a lot to do too!!

Good luck for a terrific day

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Oh yes, it drove me insane. And turned out to be the easiest part! I got all the paperwork ready too, looked through it, double checking it a thousand times. Counting down the days. Me and my husband had our interview last month, Dec 22nd. It was easy breezy. This little, young, sweet, soft spoken lady was our interviewer. It was a small room. She asked us a few questions about how we met and where we lived. The only paperwork she asked us for was our kids birth certificates. I had all these pictures ready too. We were literally in and out in about 15 minutes. And I hear a lot of people have interview's like this, so don't worry too much. If you're like me, all the worrying is for nothing! Good luck.

Does the spouse have to attend the N400 interview? I thought only the applicant was requested to go...

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

I hope you already received your Beibehaltigungsbescheinigung. That would be my only concern.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

IO in St. Paul was as sweet as can be during our AOS, wife and daughter were with me, they were nervous, she told them to relax, and didn't even want to see our original evidence. Wasn't even going to bother bringing that for the USC interview, but changed my mind. Wife's IO for that interview was a witch spelled with a B.

You never know. Stress is getting there on time, traffic, accidents, car problems, etc., how long will you wait until called, even though you were on time, then what kind of IO you will get. Hope you get a nice one. Still feel your green card is enough evidence.

Hi Flsusi,

Good luck with your interview coming up on January 19. From the looks of it, you're all prepared already, so you should be ok there. Don't forget to study for the civics/history too, in addition to preparing the extra paperwork and photos.

Likewise, the wait for me drove me up the wall too...Lol..and while I was waiting, for about a month or so (from interview letter to interview date), I did the following....

1) Stuck around and posted on VJ, which was definitely a great help to me (lol..and I'm still on VJ...after my journey is over too..why am I still here?)

2) Studied for the history/civics test:

-Played the study CD over and over again in the car until my husband and I got bored of it and my son fell asleep to it..lol..

-Went through the homemade (I made myself with index cards and pen) study flash cards with all the questions and answers on it...My husband and I took turns asking each other questions and answering the questions from these cards (needless to say, we were both 'even' knowledge-wise there...it was fun...)

-Read the study book/guide over and over again.

3) Organized the orginal paperwork and other paperwork for the inteview..lol..95+ pages of it all..(which they didn't want to see..oh well..at least I brought it with me just in case...)

Don't worry, you're almost done with your citizenship journey. Just the interview and the oath to go...Not too long to go after this......My guess is that you will be a US Citizen very soon (maybe by February?)!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your interview and oath. And yes, do post about that on vj afterwards too!

Ant

P.S. If you want, you can read about my interview experience too....

N-400: Ant’s Citizenship INTERVIEW PASSED.…BUT….(Part 1 of 2)…., (11/18/09) My Helpful Very Detailed N-400 Buffalo, NY Experience Here

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=229435&hl=

Hope this helps too!...

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Does the spouse have to attend the N400 interview? I thought only the applicant was requested to go...

Hi Everyone,

In answer to the question about spouses during the interview:

My husband has always been there for me for all of my immigration appointments and non-appointments to my "local" office, especially so that I need him to drive me there, since it is a long-distance drive (about 200+ miles round-trip) to the city (I hate driving in cities), and more so that I need him for moral support. He doesn't mind though, and I'm always glad to have him there with me. And yes, he was there when I had my N-400 interview.

As well, I brought along my baby son to the interview too, as I had no other childcare arrangements and had no choice but to bring him. But both my husband and my son had to wait in the waiting room/area while I was interview by myself (which was ok, though a bit nerve-wracking)....

And at the end of the interview, the Immigration Officer got to see both my husband and my son that day in the waiting room when my interview was completed(lol..while I was nursing...very awkward.......oh well baby has to eat...), as I had to wait a bit longer in the waiting room after the interview for my interview results to be given due to requesting for accomodations. The immigration officer was very nice though, and didn't mind meeting my family there.

For more about my N-400 interview experience, you can read about it here:

N-400: Ant’s Citizenship INTERVIEW PASSED.…BUT….(Part 1 of 2)…., (11/18/09) My Helpful Very Detailed N-400 Buffalo, NY Experience Here

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=229435&hl=

In my opinion, overall, yes, I think it is beneficial for one to have their spouse attend, even if they are just waiting in the waiting room. It is good to know that there is "someone there by your side for support through this difficult immigration process", and can actually be quite beneficial that way. However, if they can't make it though, for some valid reason or other, I'm sure the immigration officials would understand their absence (if they are required to attend for such an interview or for whatever else). Just make sure though, the immigration officials have a good explaination as to why that is the case and a way to contact that spouse if need be. For example, give them your spouse's work or cell phone number and have your spouse answer the phone call from them.

Lol...with all that extra "joint evidence" that one sends in, you would think that would be enough for them......

Then again...maybe it's better to appear in-person anyways..."To put a human face to all that paperwork..."

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journeys.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband is and has always been very supportive. However, we both work and we both have to travel a lot for work sometimes. Sometimes it is already hard for me to coordinate all these immigration appointments with my work schedule. Having to coordinate with his would be even worse! I just wanted to know if it is REQUIRED for the spouse to attend an interview (if you are applying for N400 based on the 3 year married/3 year GC). And it seems it is not required.

I am sure he would like to be present during the oath ceremony, not because he has to, but because I think it would make him proud and relieved that the immigration journey would be finally over.

Edited by NycBra

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Timeline
My husband is and has always been very supportive. However, we both work and we both have to travel a lot for work sometimes. Sometimes it is already hard for me to coordinate all these immigration appointments with my work schedule. Having to coordinate with his would be even worse! I just wanted to know if it is REQUIRED for the spouse to attend an interview (if you are applying for N400 based on the 3 year married/3 year GC). And it seems it is not required.

I am sure he would like to be present during the oath ceremony, not because he has to, but because I think it would make him proud and relieved that the immigration journey would be finally over.

Well, he can't sit in the waiting room and stare at a portrait of GWB anymore, will have to stare at that new guy at your interview.

Your moment of glory will last only two seconds when they hand you your certificate, the rest could be considered, kind of boring. You can vote together, and you can use your bathroom without carrying your green card. Guess you will have to settle with that. Wife's IO couldn't even say hi to me. Also just realized, since we live several hundred miles away, always managed to get an early morning appointment. Wonder if they do that intentionally?

Well, he can't sit in the waiting room and stare at a portrait of GWB anymore, will have to stare at that new guy at your interview.

Your moment of glory will last only two seconds when they hand you your certificate, the rest could be considered, kind of boring. You can vote together, and you can use your bathroom without carrying your green card. Guess you will have to settle with that. Wife's IO couldn't even say hi to me. Also just realized, since we live several hundred miles away, always managed to get an early morning appointment. Wonder if they do that intentionally?

Lol....You're spouse is going to stare at Obama instead...... :blink:

As for if the IO will meet your spouse..It depends..some do, some don't..but it's up to you and your spouse as to if they go or not..

Lol...the IO that inteview me met both my husband and baby there....which was good..though awkward while I was feeding the baby...lol....

But I think overall it does help and is supportive if the spouse is there. If not, that's ok too, as no manditory need to be there, really.

Now if only I can get my USC husband to vote with me too...lol....He went to the interview..so we'll see if he makes it to the polling station too..lol...

Yeah..the moment of glory at the oath last for a few moments...about 10 mins in all, really..with oath and certificate and a few photos...

(literally...that's how long it took for me at my private ceremony...skipped the hoopla and other stuff...before the baby got too cranky..lol....)

But yeah..good to have your spouse there for the traditional ceremony...as that is a special occasion, which loved ones should attend with you!

Funny, my local office is a hundred miles or so away from where I am too...but they gave me the late afternoon appointment for the interview (the last appointment of the day)...I guess they wanted to make sure that we got there on time...lol...we had all day to get there...for "10 minutes of fame"...lol..

Either way, good luck at your interview, regardless of if you bring your spouse or not...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Driving me nuts.....

A pirate walks into a bar with a parrot hanging out of him pants and a steering wheel in its talons.

He orders a beer and strikes up a conversation with the bartender who could help notice the parrot so asked the guy whats with the parrot and the steering wheel.

Arrrrrrr, he's been driving me nuts all day :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
I hope you already received your Beibehaltigungsbescheinigung. That would be my only concern.

Beibehaltunsgenehmigung is approved, paid for, and in my possesion. so all I need now is my interview and oath... :hehe:

Then you mastered the most difficult part of the journey. Everything else is just peanuts.

Congratulations!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.