Hugglebuggles

Some Travel Questions

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After almost 7 months I've decided its about time I make a trip home to Canada. I haven't decided on a date yet, but I have a free flight with Delta/NWA so I can decide basically anytime.

Being my paranoid self I have a few travel questions:

I have my GC now, so I don't need to worry about AP right? I can just leave that at home?

My GC is in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name still. I'm going to fly from Denver to Buffalo and drive across. Should I book my tickets in my married name and present my GC as ID at the airport, or should I book my tickets in my maiden name and present my Canadian passport?

When I reenter the US, do I need to present my GC and my Canadian passport, or just the GC? Will having a passport and a GC with different last names cause my any problems at the border? Should I bring my marriage license along?

Are the new airport security guidelines of not allowing a carry on are just for flights leaving Canada and entering the US, or for US domestic travel as well? I've heard some conflicting information from family members and friends.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Hugglebuggles,

In answer to your questions..

I don't know about the flying aspect of things...(as I don't fly)...but....

You have your Green Card now, so no need to bring your AP at all.

Likewise, I was in the same situation too, with my former expired passport in my maiden name (though with married name notation) when I went back to Canada for a trip by land from Buffalo, NY. No problems there, crossing over the border as a US Permanent Resident before. When you go to Canada, present your Canadian Passport as country of citizenship and Green Card as country of residence. When you come back to the USA, present your Green Card to show your country of residence and Canadian Passport to show your country of citizenship. Bring along your marriage certificate, "just in case" they do ask (though very unlikely) about the different names in these two documents.

I would recommend you book your tickets in your maiden name, since they will have to match the ticket name with the passport name.

Sorry, I have no clue about the baggage stuff...maybe other vjers can help there...

Be careful when driving through Buffalo..as yeah, the snowy weather is brutal here! Dress warmly too!

Oh, and make sure you check the bridge and weather conditions before you go. I recommend the Peace Bridge as the best way to get to Canada.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. Happy Travels back home to Canada too!

Ant

After almost 7 months I've decided its about time I make a trip home to Canada. I haven't decided on a date yet, but I have a free flight with Delta/NWA so I can decide basically anytime.

Being my paranoid self I have a few travel questions:

I have my GC now, so I don't need to worry about AP right? I can just leave that at home?

My GC is in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name still. I'm going to fly from Denver to Buffalo and drive across. Should I book my tickets in my married name and present my GC as ID at the airport, or should I book my tickets in my maiden name and present my Canadian passport?

When I reenter the US, do I need to present my GC and my Canadian passport, or just the GC? Will having a passport and a GC with different last names cause my any problems at the border? Should I bring my marriage license along?

Are the new airport security guidelines of not allowing a carry on are just for flights leaving Canada and entering the US, or for US domestic travel as well? I've heard some conflicting information from family members and friends.

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Thanks Ant!

I'm just thinking that since I'm flying domestically, a PR card is acceptable identification. Would they care about my passport? I was kinda thinking that the only time my passport would be needed was when I was entering Canada, and then possibly when I was coming back to the US. I was just thinking that It would be good to have the tickets match the name on my GC for when I reenter the US, but maybe it wouldn't matter.

Anyone else travel domestically and just use their GC as photo ID?

I've heard you're getting hit with snow today! My parents live in the Niagara Falls area in Canada and they said its coming down good. We usually get nothing compared to the Buffalo side! And the Peace Bridge is where I always cross, I agree, its the best way to go.

Timeline

I traveled with a passport in maiden name and GC in married name without issue, mostly because I carried my marriage certificate with me. I presented the passport and GC at the US customs (which a passport is required to enter the US) and the agent noted the different names and asked for the marriage cert. and it was not an issue. You can travel domestically with your green card, that's not a problem.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but maybe carry the marriage certificate for easier transition into the US. If you are going to use your GC as identification for your domestic flight then maybe book in your married name so the GC and ticket match.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
I'm so jealous your getting to go home to Canada! Have fun.

Its been almost 7 months, I didn't come home for Christmas and my mom is a little mad at me :lol:

thanks for the advice canadian_wife! I'll bring my marriage certificate along to be safe. So, from that, I gather it doesn't really matter what name I book my ticket in, it just depends on what I want to use as ID at the airport.

Timeline
I traveled with a passport in maiden name and GC in married name without issue, mostly because I carried my marriage certificate with me. I presented the passport and GC at the US customs (which a passport is required to enter the US) and the agent noted the different names and asked for the marriage cert. and it was not an issue. You can travel domestically with your green card, that's not a problem.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but maybe carry the marriage certificate for easier transition into the US. If you are going to use your GC as identification for your domestic flight then maybe book in your married name so the GC and ticket match.

Good luck.

That's all I've done is carry my marriage cert with me. The Cdn border guard only cared about my Cdn passport and the US border guard only looked at my GC anyway - didn't need my Cdn passport at all.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I cross at the peace bridge every 6-8 weeks and I tell you it just depends who you get!..lol a couple of times crossing into canada they have asked to see my greencard(could be becuse I always rent a car in buffalo) but they never give a reason(and I don't ask! haha..I just whip it out!) and when crossing back to the USA they ALWAYS ask to see both...My greencard is hyphenated(did I spell that right??lol) so I have never had an issue..and just for the record..I always book my airline ticket in my maiden name..so it matches my passport..In this day and age flying...it makes me nervous if you end up with someone at the airline who doesn't know what a greencard is..and insists on other ID..and then the names don't match..just a thought...a couple of weeks ago flying out of buffalo the airport security guy asked my daughter if she was under 18 and when she said yes..didn't bother checking her passport....very wierd..haha..so like I said..you just never know who is going to decide what rule they feel like following

and congrats on going home!! enjoy the timmies...and swiss chalet...oh and mmmmmm ketchup chips!

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When i traveled with my Greencard coming back into the USA, sometimes they asked to see my Cdn passport sometimes they didnt. I know once i just gave the USA POE dude my greencard and he in a very demanding voice asked where my passport was! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

When i traveled with my Greencard coming back into the USA, sometimes they asked to see my Cdn passport sometimes they didnt. I know once i just gave the USA POE dude my greencard and he in a very demanding voice asked where my passport was! lol

LOL I had one guy stare me down for no apparent reason! he asked who I was visiting and when I answered he just stared at me forever(well it seemed like forever but 30 seconds is a longtime if you have that dude staring at you! lmao

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

03/25/08 RFE sent

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/16/08 AOS touched

ROC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

07/10/10 card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

People forget they are trained (some better than others) to find people lying and they have various methods in finding those cheaters,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I've never had a problem crossing in the past, I just hope re-entering the US with my GC won't be to much of a headache! I think I'll just book my tickets in my maiden name and use my passport as ID. It seems easier that way since all my air miles information and my member card is still in my maiden name as well. And you brought up a good point shawna, sometimes I use my GC as ID and I get weird looks or people say, "I haven't seen one of these before..." I doubt the US CBP will really care to see my flight information considering I'm just going home, I don't need to prove I'm going to return to Canada this time!

People forget they are trained (some better than others) to find people lying and they have various methods in finding those cheaters,lol

I hear ya..I wasn't doing anything wrong so I just sat there waiting out the stare..if I had been a wrongdoer..I surely would have crumbled!

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

03/25/08 RFE sent

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/16/08 AOS touched

ROC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

07/10/10 card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you were booking an international flight then you would have the ticket in the same name as your passport.

Domestic travel - a drivers license or GC is fine. Again, the name on the ID and ticket must match.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just flew international myself 2 weeks ago. You are allowed one carry on. So if you have a purse, that would be your one carry on now. So if you have a bag, put the purse in the bag so it acts as one, otherwise one will have to be checked.

Another rule is you no longer can get up or have anything on your lap 1 hour before landing. No cell phone type things are allowed to be on at all. Unlike domestic flights where the signal just has to be turned off on take off and landing, on international flights the phone must be completely turned off which is also new.

Some of these rules may have been discontinued as I flew the weekend of that attempted attack and the flight crew said they weren't sure how long all these new rules would remain in place...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.