helpneeded

Can I change name before applying for citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline

"10 year" Greencard holder (already married and currently go by my married last name). Can I apply for name change (first name) before applying for citizenship or do I have to get US citizenship first? I am finally able to apply for citizenship this year and it seems like it would be easiest to just get everything in my new name. Married to a US citizen. Please provide as many process steps/links, etc. as possible. I am not sure about the steps needed to change things like SS card, Passports, Drivers License, etc. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Helpneeded,

You can apply for a name change at any time you want, regardless.

But...You have a chance to do it for FREE with your citizenship application! No extra costs there, other than the $675 needed for the Citizenship Application anyways, regardless of name change or not. There is a part on the N-400 Application form (which you can find on the USCIS website), that asks "Would you like a legal name change"? (or something along those lines). Just checkmark the box "yes", and put the names that you want to change to, in the new "first name" and new "last name" spaces provided. The immigration officer will then confirm this name change at your citizenship interview, and when it is time for your oath ceremony, your naturalization certificate will be in your new legal name, and is legal to use as a document showing a legal name change.

With the Naturalization Certificate in your new changed name, you can then change your other documents afterwards to reflect such. No need to get a new green card or anything like that (lol..would save you the money for a replacement card too). Just change your SS Card, Passports, Driver's License, etc. after citizenship, to your new name, while at the same time updating your new US Citizenshp status too.

So if you can wait another year...Change it then...It will definitely be easier and more cost-effective this way.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your journey too.

Ant

"10 year" Greencard holder (already married and currently go by my married last name). Can I apply for name change (first name) before applying for citizenship or do I have to get US citizenship first? I am finally able to apply for citizenship this year and it seems like it would be easiest to just get everything in my new name. Married to a US citizen. Please provide as many process steps/links, etc. as possible. I am not sure about the steps needed to change things like SS card, Passports, Drivers License, etc. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

• 7 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is sooo helpful. Thanks for the tip as I'm considering changing my last name on my naturalizaiton.

Hi Helpneeded,

You can apply for a name change at any time you want, regardless.

But...You have a chance to do it for FREE with your citizenship application! No extra costs there, other than the $675 needed for the Citizenship Application anyways, regardless of name change or not. There is a part on the N-400 Application form (which you can find on the USCIS website), that asks "Would you like a legal name change"? (or something along those lines). Just checkmark the box "yes", and put the names that you want to change to, in the new "first name" and new "last name" spaces provided. The immigration officer will then confirm this name change at your citizenship interview, and when it is time for your oath ceremony, your naturalization certificate will be in your new legal name, and is legal to use as a document showing a legal name change.

With the Naturalization Certificate in your new changed name, you can then change your other documents afterwards to reflect such. No need to get a new green card or anything like that (lol..would save you the money for a replacement card too). Just change your SS Card, Passports, Driver's License, etc. after citizenship, to your new name, while at the same time updating your new US Citizenshp status too.

So if you can wait another year...Change it then...It will definitely be easier and more cost-effective this way.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your journey too.

Ant

04/07/2007 - I-130, I-485, I-765 mailed to Chicago Lockbox

04/22/2007 - Notice of Receipt for I-130, I-485, I-765 received

05/05/2007 - Biometric Appointment

08/23/2007 - Request status update on I-765

09/10/2007 - Response of Service Request on I-765 received: I-485 and I-765 denied on 08/28/2007

09/12/2007 - Denial Notice Re-sent (original lost in the mail)

09/17/2007 - Denial Notice received. I-485 and I-765 are denied due to lack of response to RFE for medical exmination

09/24/2007 - 2nd RFE received to submit original birth certificate of US husband as I-130 evidence

09/25/2007 - Re-filed I-485 and I-765, along with I-131(with attorney involved)

09/27/2007 - 2nd RFE evidence sent

10/09/2007 - 2nd RFE response received by NBC, I-130 resumed (60 days estimate for a decision/update)

10/10/2007 - NOAs issued, check cashed

10/15/2007 - NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

10/15/2007 - I-130 approved!! NOA on its way

10/18/2007 - NOA for Biometric received, appt on 11/1/2007

10/19/2007 - I-130 approval letter received!

11/01/2007 - Biometric Done

11/02/2007 - 3rd RFE received to submit W-2 for 2006; response sent the same day

11/08/2007 - 3rd RFE response received by NBC, I-485 resumed (60 days estimate for a decision/update)

12/06/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered, I-131 Approved! (Day 72)

12/15/2007 - AP received in the mail (Day 81)

12/17/2007 - EAD Card received in the mail (Day 83)

12/31/2007 - Received Interview Letter (Day 97)

2/22/2008 - AOS Interview; received Welcoming email from USCIS on the 25th, green card on its way. yeah! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

This is sooo helpful. Thanks for the tip as I'm considering changing my last name on my naturalizaiton.

Be careful, though. Not all USClS locations do automatic name change during the N400 process. And that includes SFO! I tried to do the same thing but during the interview I was informed that it was not going to happen. Had to go to the court house after the oath ceremony and request a formal name change. So in my case, unfortunately, I ended up paying $355 court fee plus running ads for 4 weeks (!). The name change process this way takes over 2 months. Good luck when you get there.

4/03/10 N-400 sent

4/05/10 arrived (priority date)

4/22/10 NOA received (dated 4/16/10)

4/26/10 FP notice received (dated 4/23/10), FP scheduled 5/10/10

4/28/10 FP done, walk-in

5/17/10 Interview letter received (dated 5/13/10)

6/21/10 Interview date

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Be careful, though. Not all USClS locations do automatic name change during the N400 process. And that includes SFO! I tried to do the same thing but during the interview I was informed that it was not going to happen. Had to go to the court house after the oath ceremony and request a formal name change. So in my case, unfortunately, I ended up paying $355 court fee plus running ads for 4 weeks (!). The name change process this way takes over 2 months. Good luck when you get there.

This is so stupid, but true. It was NOT the case before but it IS the case now. My wife just came back from her interview and the interviewing officer wouldn't allow her name change. She said USCIS no longer allows you to do a name change along with the N400 process. One has to initiate a formal name change through the normal court process and that it would cost a lot of money. This is LAME!!! But true. This was for the San Jose, CA office.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

AS of July 25, 2016, the USCIS is still saying that you CAN change your name during the naturalization process. No additional filings or fees should be necessary.

Per https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf, the Instructions for Application for Naturalization, Form N-400

Item Number 4. Name Change (Optional) A court can allow you to change your name when you are naturalized. Any
name change you request on this application will not be final until you are naturalized by the court. If you want the court
to change your name at your naturalization oath ceremony, select “Yes” and complete this section. You do not need to
request a name change if your name has changed through marriage, divorce, or other court order.

NOTE: USCIS cannot process name change requests for members of the military, or their spouses, who are naturalizing
overseas

Perhaps it would be wise to print out the instruction document and bring it with you to the SSA office, since the staff oftens seems unaware of their own rules.

Filed: Timeline

Ok lets just clarify this for those reading:

Nothing has changed recently. Technically USCIS does NOT have the authority to change your name. However there are 2 ways you can get a new name on your nat certificate.

1. You present them with a court ordered name change. This includes going to your local court and changing your name as others have described above, or presenting them with a marriage or divorce certificate showing you changed your name

2. Taking the oath in a ceremony in a court. Not all ceremonies are done in court (hence being told 'we dont do that') But if you are getting the court ceremony the judge can authorize the name change.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Several Field Offices in Northern California only conduct Administrative Oath Ceremonies and do not hold any Judicial Oath Ceremonies. This change occurred about 2 or 3 years ago. Since a name change at the time of naturalization can only be legalized at a Judicial Oath Ceremony, applicants at these field offices cannot request a name change through the N400 process. If you fill out that section, the interviewer will inform you of this limitation at the interview and will cross out the name change request. If USCIS and the Federal District Court for Northern California decide to reinstate Judicial Ceremonies at some point in the future, then the name change option will return.

There's some more information here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/549894-information-on-name-change-during-naturalization/

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.