thongd4me

POE at JFK - How much time from plane landing

30 posts in this topic

I flew with China Airlines before in year 2005 when I came here with my K-1 visa, flew from BKK-Taipei-Anchorage-JFK. We did the POE at Anchorage so when I got to JFK, I could just go get my luggage and get out. Well that's how I did that time.

I've had mixed replies on this issue and yours is valid too.

Do you remember how long you spent at Anchorage?

She only has 1 hr. 45 min. between landing & takeoff.

I'm assuming if they do the POE formalities they will have

to unload her checked baggage and do the full check on that.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

I saw on the news that some international flights are running about 2 hrs late because of all the tighter airport screenings, mainly in the form of individual pat downs and closer inspection of carry ons. Some flights are requiring ALL bags to be checked in and NO carry ons permitted. Congratz, Bro. You are waking up next to her in the morning! :dance:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

I saw on the news that some international flights are running about 2 hrs late because of all the tighter airport screenings, mainly in the form of individual pat downs and closer inspection of carry ons. Some flights are requiring ALL bags to be checked in and NO carry ons permitted. Congratz, Bro. You are waking up next to her in the morning! :dance:

Thanks my friend,

It's tomorrow morning but actually my mistake was assuming the POE would be Dec. 30 and I'm glad it's 29 because that gives us more wiggle room for getting the

marriage license on the 30th so we can avoid the "judicial waiver" to have it the same day. I want to file taxes as married for '09 and I think having your anniversary

on Dec. 31 will insure that nobody forgets it :whistle:

Have to catch xome "Z's" as tomorrow will be very busy.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-06-27 Biom,

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Thanks my friend,

It's tomorrow morning but actually my mistake was assuming the POE would be Dec. 30 and I'm glad it's 29 because that gives us more wiggle room for getting the

marriage license on the 30th so we can avoid the "judicial waiver" to have it the same day. I want to file taxes as married for '09 and I think having your anniversary

on Dec. 31 will insure that nobody forgets it :whistle:

Have to catch xome "Z's" as tomorrow will be very busy.

You are BRILLIANT my friend to consider the tax benefits of marriage with all the excitement and stress going on. To marry just before the end of the year and yet get credit taxwise for the whole year is fantastic! I always wanted to do that. To have an anniversary every new year's eve is double cool! :star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I've had mixed replies on this issue and yours is valid too.

Do you remember how long you spent at Anchorage?

She only has 1 hr. 45 min. between landing & takeoff.

I'm assuming if they do the POE formalities they will have

to unload her checked baggage and do the full check on that.

Hmm I don't remember how long I spent there exactly but I don't think its over 2 hrs. We flew with the same plane from Taipei to Anchorage and Anchorage to JFK. They just asked us to get out for POE and then go back to the same plane. We didn't have to do any unload checked baggage. But remember that was in year 2005, I dont know if they still run the same system now.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello my dear fellow VJrs,Its been such a long time talking to you guys.Hope everyone is hanging tuff.I am sorry i couldnt update you guys about my POE experience which by the way was horrible.First of all i left Pakiland to arrive in Los Angeles but instead my flight got delayed at KHI for 2 hours and i missed my connecting flight at Dubai and ended up staying in dubai for a day at Millenium hotel.So the start was not so good...finally, i arrived at LAX and stood in visitors visa line for about 15 mins,i handed my passport and the yellow envelope to the officer he asked if it was K-1 he then looked at my passport and the visa while he was looking another officer came to the counter and asked me to follow him.He ,while walking towards his own counter said that he will ask me couple of questions and i will be on way asap.He then statrted asking basic personal info about myself,my parents and my fiancee.After entering that info he took my finger prints and the pic and then he asked me to follow him to get my luggage from carousel which we did and then he took me to this seperate counter where 4 officers were working and he handed my passport and yellow envelope to those officers.I was called by one of those officers and was handed a form to fill out. At this point i had no idea what was happening so i asked the officer,she said i was going thru nseer process(Special Registration) she gave me a form to fill out again and asked me the same questions all over again she then stampped my I-94 and said welcome to America so now i am here in cali, married and getting paperwork ready for AOS.Will be going back to NYC for new years..........So wheres everybody????????? Feisal bro whats the update?Hopeful786 whats happening? .............Best wishes for you all for the new year may 2010 be full of good news for all of you.... God bless and merry christmas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline
That's a relief. The scheduled arrival is 7:40 Pacific time and takeoff is 9:25 - That's an hour & 45 min.

I can't believe they would do the POE formalities with that tight a schedule.

If they had to change planes unloading one and loading the other would likely take 2 hours.

Compared to Emirates, United and Thai (others that I've flown) China Airlines gives precious little info.

She used a Thai travel agent because she had very little time. Their electronic ticket printout had

very sketchy info - just departure/arrival times at BKK & JFK, 2 pc luggage and no mention of Anchorage.

Only after I went to their site and plugged in the flight number did I see Anchorage.

Then all kinds of alarm bells started going off. :shocked:

Best of luck on Linh's VN trip next month. :thumbs:

If she is only deplaning for a fuel stop and a brief plane cleaning, she will most likely remain near the gate and this would not be considered her POE.

I believe she would arrive at the international arrivals building at JFK, which services a large number of airlines. Expect at least 2 hours, if not more to deplane, immigration, baggage and customes. I met a friend there who was waiting for his fiancee and we were there almost 4 hours before she showed up. So dont get nervous if the wait is a bit longer than you expect. If China Air has there own immigration service, then the wait would be less. This you need to check out exactly what terminal she will be coming into. Wish you the best.

Filed: Timeline
You are BRILLIANT my friend to consider the tax benefits of marriage with all the excitement and stress going on. To marry just before the end of the year and yet get credit taxwise for the whole year is fantastic! I always wanted to do that. To have an anniversary every new year's eve is double cool! :star:

Hey guys I have a question about this tax issue... my husband is not too sure about this whole filing taxes thing since we got married (I'm his first wife, he's getting used to the legalities of being married I guess, lol) and I'm still completely clueless as to how to correctly file... So from what I'm reading here even if you've only been legally married for 1 day in 2009 you can file joint tax returns and claim your foreign spouse as a "dependant" in April? What is this "credit taxwise" generally speaking, in terms of $'s?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey guys I have a question about this tax issue... my husband is not too sure about this whole filing taxes thing since we got married (I'm his first wife, he's getting used to the legalities of being married I guess, lol) and I'm still completely clueless as to how to correctly file... So from what I'm reading here even if you've only been legally married for 1 day in 2009 you can file joint tax returns and claim your foreign spouse as a "dependant" in April? What is this "credit taxwise" generally speaking, in terms of $'s?

It is probably best not to "hijak" a thread to ask a totally different topic than what the OP started it as. You would get better answers beginning a topic "fresh" or finding one of the many tax threads on VJ.

But to answer your question:

You do not claim your wife as a 'dependant' but as you WIFE (tax results would be quite a bit different if you only claimed her as a 'dependent'). Tax rates/thresholds for a married filing joint return are quite a bit different than for a married filing separate or single tax return. The actual benefit is wholly dependent on your individual tax situation, so it is hard to put $$$ to it other than generally speaking, it is typically advantageous to file MFJ.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline
It is probably best not to "hijak" a thread to ask a totally different topic than what the OP started it as. You would get better answers beginning a topic "fresh" or finding one of the many tax threads on VJ.

But to answer your question:

You do not claim your wife as a 'dependant' but as you WIFE (tax results would be quite a bit different if you only claimed her as a 'dependent'). Tax rates/thresholds for a married filing joint return are quite a bit different than for a married filing separate or single tax return. The actual benefit is wholly dependent on your individual tax situation, so it is hard to put $$$ to it other than generally speaking, it is typically advantageous to file MFJ.

Thanks, will have to do some more research then as we're still a little clueless on the subject. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just noticed the interesting tidbit on trying to get married before the year ends for joint filing in April.

She is arriving China Airlines Flight CI 0012 via Taipei & Anchorage, estimated arrival at 8:20 PM at JFK.

I almost can't imagine it's happening so soon. :dance:

How long did you wait after the plane landed at JFK to pick up your fiancé(e)?

If the POE is JFK which it probably is (usually Anchorage is just a refuel and passengers stay within the enclosed transit lounge), it will take around 1-1 1/2 hrs for her to clear immigration and customs. My wife recently arrived from Manila (Cathay Pacific Flight - Manila-Hong Kong-JFK) and she took about that long. One thing that did not help the situation was that four international flights arrived at the same time so the line was really long.

Once my wife got to the immigration officer, she gave her packet and he instructed her to go to the immigration office within the customs area. She was in the office for around 10-15min and was finger printed (I guess this was for her conditional green card?).

When waiting at the arrival hall, it might seem that everyone was let off the plane ahead of her. It might take some time to get her documents processed. Don't worry..Trust me I had that feeling!

Have a blast picking your wife! It will be very memorable!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I hope that she won't forget the EAD at Anchorage - because THAT is where it will be offered, not JFK

- we didn't talk at all about Anchorage because she was only concerned with the departure and arrival

at BKK and NYC. :blush:

My wife took the same flight four years ago, we were planning for her to get her EAD at JFK and I did not know about the Anchorage stop. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but she will not be offered an EAD stamp in Anchorage.

My internet is DOWN :crying: at home so I had to go to the library to get the wireless lan.

Her scheduled arrival is in about 5 hours so I'm doing some last minute checking to see if she is on schedule.

I called China Airways and they confirmed she is on the flight, but the person I spoke to seemed more

confused than I was and said she would be landing in Taipei in about an hour :blush:

- that's because when I called, her trip was already more than 15 hours old and it doesn't

take 15 hours to get from BKK to Taipei!

They gave me another (local) number to call at JFK and that was even MORE worthless.

They gave skechy info about a flight that ARRIVED at JFK on the 27th; a lot of good that

does me - yeah what's Chinese for "Have a Nice Day?" *&%$#@!!!

I just checked China air online now and they didn't even log the arrival in Anchorage.

I'll have to check in a few hours and see what develops.

I thought China Airlines was from the non-communist country (Taiwan) but they certainly

keep their "sensitive" information close to the vest...the customer doesn't have a clue.

When I first called their help line I asked to get information on a flight that left Bangkok

and the girl on the line started trying to sell me a ticket! I said if I was on that flight I

wouldn't be looking for a ticket now...I don't think she got the humor but she did

verify that my fiancée was on the flight. :thumbs:

OH YES - I asked her about the POE and she said that customs would be taken care of

in Anchorage - I don't know if I can call that reliable information yet, but tonight I will

know for sure...

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-06-27 Biom,

The eagle has landed!

But they took a middle-aged Chinese woman off the plane in chains first (originated in Taipei).

Wedding tomorrow!

02/2003 - Met

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-06-27 Biom,

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.