karenros

What should i do first after the oath?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I am going to take my oath on Jan 6.. So i was wondering after the cermony should i go to SSN office first or should i go to the dmv first?

what did you guys do??

Thanks,

Karen

I-751

1/12/08 - sent I-751 to TSC

2/7/08 - money order cashed

1/24/08 - Transferred to VERMONT

1/26/2008 - NOA

2/23/2008 -Biometrics

12/16/2008 finally Approved

N-400

12/03/08 Eligible to file N400

10/03/09 Mailed N-400

10/07/09 NOA

10/13/09 Check cashed

10/30/09 FP appointment

11/07/09 Case sent to Local office for interview

11/23/2009 Received interview letter with an as of date of 11/18/2009

12/15/2009 Interview scheduled ---Approved

01/06/2010 Oath Ceremony

Hi,

I am going to take my oath on Jan 6.. So i was wondering after the cermony should i go to SSN office first or should i go to the dmv first?

what did you guys do??

Thanks,

Karen

Call USCIS and tell them what a sh1tty information service they have. :whistle:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
Call USCIS and tell them what a sh1tty information service they have. :whistle:

I think they have heard enough and they know about it.. cause if u see my timeline all my other application have taken a year to 10 months to be processed but the citizenship was done in record time...

I-751

1/26/2008 - NOA

2/23/2008 -Biometrics

N-400

10/03/09 Mailed N-400

10/07/09 NOA

10/13/09 Check cashed

10/30/09 FP appointment

01/06/2010 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi,

what did you guys do??

Thanks,

Karen

First thing my wife wanted to do was to show her certificate to her employer as our state ( WI) was making a big deal out of illegals, then she applied for a US passportm her foreign passport was now worthless for coming back. That you need your certificate for as well as the SS office, no rush on that, ours is 40 miles away, I took care of that for her when I had business in that town and was about a month later.

In our state, you don't need proof of USC for voters registration or the DMV, you simply declared you are a USC. But if you lie, can find yourself in jail or even deported. But when she was a LPR and checked that box on the application, she had to show her green card, so go figure. SS would have been happy with just her US passport, so in effect, for us, only the DOS wanted to see it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi,

what did you guys do??

Thanks,

Karen

My guess would be its different in each State... (We're in NY) My wife recently changed her name and the first thing she did was get her new passport issued, then she went to the DMV however they they wont issue a name change drivers license without first having a new SSN Card issued. Go figure, its harder to get a NY State Drivers licnese than a US Passport! lol!

I'm planning on doing the following after taking the oath.

1. US Passport (expedited)

2. New SSN Card

3. Drivers Lic. (& Register to Vote)

Congrats on your oath ceremony in Jan... what a great way to start the New Year!

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Filed: Other Timeline

(One more vj post before the holidays...I'll reply to other posts after the holidays...)

Hi Karenros,

Congratulations on getting your oath date! Good luck with your oath ceremony coming up on Jaunuary 6th.

In answer to your question, this is what I did after my oath ceremony:

"Ant's things to do after US Citizenship" list...

-2009-11-23: Received Naturalization Certificate (1/2 hour...the shortest time of all the things to do..go figure....)

No more USCIS!

I also 1 black and white photocopy (1 copy for personal use only is legal to do) of my Naturalization Certificate afterwards, and then put the actual certificate in a safe place, along with all of my other important documents.

-2009-11-24: Updated the Social Security Administration/SSN (1 hour)

They took a photocopy of my certificate....They updated my immigration/citizenship status...

As additional ideitification I also showed them my driver's license, they printed out my new updated SSN information, I signed for it....

They said they would send me a new card, even though I didn't need a new one, but they insisted anyways...so now I have 2 cards...lol....

2009-11-25: Updated the Social Services (1 hour)

They took a photocopy of my certificate....They updated my immigration/citizenship status...

Note: There is no need to update social services about one's immigration change in status. I had to update social services though, as our family had a HEAP (heat energy assistance program) case, my son had a WIC (women infants children) case with them, and they required such information as to who is a USC or not. Lol....Oh well, better safe than sorry....Don't want to lose our heating in the winter or food for the baby, because I didn't update such.

-2009-11-25: Updated the DMV (1-2 hours...very busy day there)

They took a photocopy of my certificate, verified it with social security by phone...They updated my immigration/citizenship status..

I also applied for an NYS Enhanced Driver's License, which is good for cross-border land travel between the USA and Canada...valid for 8 yrs...

As well, for the EDL, they needed proof of residency, which I provided them with such.

-2009-11-25: Registered to Vote (at the DMV, with Driver's License)

-The application was at the bottom of the Enhanced Driver's License Application form...

I just checkmarked a few boxes at the bottom of the form

They said that I will get something in the mail from Voter's Registration confirming this. How long does it take for such?

I'm still waiting for the voter's registration card! I'll have to contact someone about this...It's been 4 weeks already..and still no card.....

Lol..Now, if only I can convince my husband to register to vote too...lol....(he's never voted before, despite being a USC....lol...)

-2009-12-03: Received new Social Security Card in the mail

Wow, that was quick! 9 days! (lol..wish the same thing happened when I got my first card...which took a lot longer than that....)

-2009-12-07: Got my New York State Enhanced Driver's License in the mail

All in 12 days...From application to getting the card in the mail...That was quick!

And no worries about travel documents or a driver's license for the next 8 years...all for $80....Good deal here......

To those of you who don't know what an EDL is- In a nutshell, this is what it is: Basically, it is a driver's license only for US Citizens in the USA, but with an extra barcode on it (like the green card barcode), which is good for land travel between the USA and Canada, and is used in lieu of a US Passport. So for land and sea travel, one can come home to the USA, as a US Citzen, using the EDL, with no problems.....

One card...driver's license and travel document...all in one! Good for many years, easy to get, and less expensive too!

By the way, EDLs are offered in other states in the USA (New York, Michigan, Vermont, Washington)

For more information about EDLs, you can read here.....http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/EDL_map.html

-2009-12-08 to 2009-12-09: Went back to Canada for a birthday trip

Just in time for my birthday on 12/08!!! What a great present, indeed!

My immigration journey is officially over! I am free to live and travel as a US Citizen!.... :dance:

*As for the US passport, at first I wanted to do such, but finally decided against it, and am happy with travelling with just an Enhanced Driver's License. I'm afraid that I they will lose my original certificate, which I paid so much and took so long to get. Sigh, why can't they be satisfied with a photocopy or certified/notarized copy, instead of the original, despite applying for a passport in-person? Surely they can trust an in-person application, right? Other agencies are ok with that, so what gives with the passport agency?

It's one thing to lose a $30 birth certificate, that can be replaced in a few weeks....It's another to lose a $400+ certificate of naturalization, that takes a few months to replace...Someone should complain about this...Seriously! Lol..Because of all this, I'm not taking that risk, and decided not to apply for a US Passport after all.

For more info, you can read my message thread/post here:

Ant's things to do after US Citizenship list...., Am I done yet? Anything else I need to do?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=231598&hl=

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your life journey as a US Citizen soon! Happy Holidays too!

Ant

Hi,

what did you guys do??

Thanks,

Karen

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did SSN first, then passport and voter's registration. As my DL is still valid for a few more years I will change it then.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks for the answers and Merry Christmas everyone...

I will take a copy, go to the SSN office, then Passport office, the DMV and voters registration.. Cause on the back of my drivers licence it says legal to stay until 2017... and they told me to come back and change it when i get my citizenship...

I-751

1/26/2008 - NOA

2/23/2008 -Biometrics

N-400

10/03/09 Mailed N-400

10/07/09 NOA

10/13/09 Check cashed

10/30/09 FP appointment

01/06/2010 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.