Scott & LC

Do I have to apply for SSN before getting a Marriage Cert?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi all....

I am now in the US, for 3 weeks now. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to apply for Social Security Number before applying for a marriage certificate? I was admitted into the US on 20th November, and we're thinking of registering our marriage on the 5th of January... my 90 day visa expires on the 18th February... is there enough time to file for AOS?? I am 24 years old by the way. I hope someone could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all....

I am now in the US, for 3 weeks now. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to apply for Social Security Number before applying for a marriage certificate? I was admitted into the US on 20th November, and we're thinking of registering our marriage on the 5th of January... my 90 day visa expires on the 18th February... is there enough time to file for AOS?? I am 24 years old by the way. I hope someone could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

you cant apply your ssn before or after your married

my thoughts to you apply your ssn now and your state id

before your married my experince i apply ssn and state id 3 days i arrive in the us

I-129F Sent............................02-21-08

I-129F NOA1...........................02-24-08

I-129F NOA2...........................07-31-08

NVC Received.........................07-14-08

Consulate Received.................07-20-08

Appointment Letter Received....07-31-08

Medical Exam..........................08-26,27-08

Paid Delbros (DV)....................09-09-08

USEM released docs to N.S.O......09-15-08

Interview Date........................09-19-08 (pink slip and white slip for dv)

N.S.O forward dv to USEM...........10-10-08

Papers are ready for review at the Counsel....10-27-08

Waiting for the printing for my visa................11-3-08

Visa Received.........................11-7-08

flight to USA...........................11-15-08

POE DETROIT..........................11-16-08

Married..................................12-30-08

S.S.S.....................................Nov-20-08

State I.D ...............................Nov-22-08

Working Permit........................Feb-12-09

GreenCard...............................Jun-4-09

Let JESUS be

the owner of your Heart...

Let his love be

your inspiration

to live life For

his Glory.....

May the two Heart

finally beat as one

523135dk607du962.gif 2843e33xll20h8.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

age doesnt matter =)

you may want to get your SSN soon as you can, you might need it to get put on his bank account and things like that for proof in the AOS packet. SSN helps you get medical coverage etc too.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline
Hi all....

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

Some background:

K1 visa holders, unusually for nonimmigrants, are listed in Social Security guidelines as "aliens allowed to work" for Social Security purposes. This is because K1 visa holders are allowed and encouraged to apply for social security cards very shortly after they arrive [You should apply approximately 2 weeks after you arrive, and no later than 2 weeks before your I-94 expires]. The reason for this has to do with some poorly worded federal legislation that requires anyone applying for a state "license" to have a social security number. The intent of this legislation was to make social security numbers necessary for getting a driver's license. But different states have interpreted this in different ways. Some interpreted it to mean that a social security number was necessary to get a marriage license, as well.

Because some states require a social security number to get a marriage license, the K-1 visa, when it was designed, had to include the capacity to get a social security number, otherwise it would be useless for people living in those states.

So in some states, yes, you DO need to get a social security number before applying for a marriage license. You need to call your local county marriage license office to get the precise local requirements, as they vary quite a bit from state to state, and even sometimes from county to county. Be sure to ask a person, because sometimes their websites and written material [which are usually written with citizens, not recent immigrants, in mind] strongly imply that a SS number is necessary, but they don't actually require one if you don't have one yet.

[Note: "for social security purposes" is the ONLY circumstance under which K-1 visa holders can even pretend to be allowed to work. In the real world, outside the social security office, you cannot work without an EAD card in your hand, no matter what you put on your social security card application.]

In answer to your second question, if you register your marriage on the 5th of January, you'll have lots of time to file your AOS. One thing you should start doing now is preparing your AOS packet, gathering photocopies of documents and filling out forms. Just date all of your forms for the day after your marriage, even if you fill them out before. That way you can have the whole packet, except for the marriage certificate, ready to go before you even get married. Then when you get the marriage certificate, just put it in the packet and mail the thing.

We got married on September 12. I had all of my forms ready to go, all dated September 13. Of course, all of the information on them was accurate and truthful as of that date. After we got back from our honeymoon on the 21st, we registered our marriage with the county office on the 23rd, got our certificate right away, and mailed off the packet on the 25th. My I-94 expired October 3. Your timeframe is looser than mine was, so it should be no problem, especially if you have your forms ready to go before your wedding day [which is a really good idea anyways, because you won't want to do them after :)].

One more piece of advice, as stated in the Guides:

You can get your marriage certificate back much faster if, instead of letting the officiant mail your license to the county, you keep it and bring it back to the county office yourself and register your marriage in person. In many places, if you do this you can get your marriage certificate for the AOS packet right then, with no delay. When you apply for your license, make sure you find out if you can do this, some places won't let you. If the county will let you do this, make sure you talk to your officiant so he or she knows not to take the filled-in license with them when they leave your ceremony.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Hi everyone :)

Thank you soooo much for your replies. Right now, I'm trying to fill up the SSN application. I would like to know a few things below:

1. Do I need any other documents other than my Passport with I-94? (I have printed out the RM 00203.500 and EM-00154 as suggested in the guide)

2. How do I fill out the Question No. 5 on SSN application regarding CITIZENSHIP. Do I put a check on "Legal Alien Allowed to Work"??

I hope someone can shed some light here.

Thank you sooo much again :)

Sincerely,

LC

Timeline

Thank you soooo much for your replies. Right now, I'm trying to fill up the SSN application. I would like to know a few things below:

1. Do I need any other documents other than my Passport with I-94? (I have printed out the RM 00203.500 and EM-00154 as suggested in the guide)

2. How do I fill out the Question No. 5 on SSN application regarding CITIZENSHIP. Do I put a check on "Legal Alien Allowed to Work"??

Sincerely,

LC

1) I'm pretty sure your passport with I-94 is enough, as it contains 2 photo ids (the bio page, issued by your government, and the k1 visa itself, issued by the US). Just in case you need another form of id, it might be a good idea to also bring your (translated if necessary) birth certificate, just to save you a trip, but I don't think you need it.

2) Yes. You check "Legal alien allowed to work" as indicated in RM 00203.500. It might also be a good idea to highlight the line in that document that specifies that K-1 visa holders are included in the "Aliens authorized to work without specific DHS approval" section.

Worked for me, anyways.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I think in order to apply for a marriage license in NC, you need a SSN.

When I applied for my SSC, the clerk was just looking at my passport, visa, I-94 and my marriage certificate. I had my birth certificate with translation with me, you know just in case.

Are you in Charlotte?

Cheers..

Sincerely,

LC

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I applied for my SSC, the clerk was just looking at my passport, visa, I-94 and my marriage certificate. I had my birth certificate with translation with me, you know just in case.

Are you in Charlotte?

Cheers..

Sincerely,

LC

My hubby got in the country on 11/28/09

Got Married 12/4, civil Ceremony and got Marriage License

Change my name same day 12/4

Applied for SSN on 12/10 but already went there 12/2 but told us to wait till he gets in the system

We are are still waiting for the SSN in the mail hopefully during this week sometimes, they said it takes a week.

We got our license before we are getting the SSN

All the Best

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi all....

Thank you.

Sincerely,

LC

You do not need an SSN to get married or file for AOS but I suggest you get one ASAP. You WILL need it for bank accounts, insurance and lots of other things. My wife got hers 16 hours after she arrived. I suggest you get it before you unpack your bags.

Get the card in your maiden name (exactly as in your passport) change it later if you want. Do not leave until they process your application. As a K-1 you ARE entitled to an SSN from the moment you arrive until 14 days before your I-94 expires and you do not have to be married or anything else first. If you have any trouble at the SS office, ask for a superviosr.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Are you in Charlotte?

Cheers..

Sincerely,

LC

No. States cannot require you to thave an SSN. They can ASK for one but cannnot require it. If you have none, answer "none" they cannot refuse a marriage license for lack of SSN

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Hi all :)

My fiance took me to the SSA office today... I applied for the SSN and there weren't any problem. I asked the officer how long it'll take, she told me, 4-6 weeks but sometimes it'll be shorter than that. She said that they have to check my records first and all that. Hopefully, things go alright in their office. I guess if I don't get it, I will apply for the marriage license/cert first...

I have a few more questions:

1. Can I check the SSN status on the SSA website?

2. What are the differences between marriage license and certificate? Which one should I go thru with first? Thank you.

Thank you all so much for the support :)

Really do appreciate it!

P/S: NCWife... I'm not in Charlotte... I'm in Cary/Raleigh area.... are you in Charlotte??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi there fellow Malaysian.

Wow, lots of Malaysians in NC. I managed to get my SS done two weeks after I arrived and they asked for my passport. BC was not required. I got it in the mail 7 days later.

They said we needed a SS# to apply for marriage license as well but the lady also mentioned that you can sign a waiver if you cannot or are not entitled to one. Anyway, thats moot now you have your SS# on the way.

License comes first, you fill it up with a register of deeds or county clerk.

http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-lic...north-carolina/

Find out your county and call a number on that list there. Ours was Burke county since we're in Morganton, NC. You can ask all the questions to your hearts desire there. Usually its 60 bucks for a marriage license. You fill up stuff like name of you and your future hubby, parents name and address and education level. Bring along your passports, drivers license, birth certificate and translation and social security card for identification. The entire process of getting our license took all of 10 minutes, however long it took to fill up the form ourselves.

When you get married, you need to have two witnesses to sign the certificate along with the person marrying you. After its all said and done and signed, bring back to the certificate to the register of deeds (where you originally got it from) and ask for a copy of your marriage license.

We got ours on the spot for 10 bucks each. Our certificate of marriage has an embossed seal on it and is green in color. Not sure if that's the standard but I'm pretty sure that takes care of all that is needed to flaunt youre married to the government when needed.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Timeline

Thank you Leo&Farah for the reply! Now, I'm more well versed in all these marriage mumbo-jumbo thing! Ah then I guess we should've gotten our marriage license yesterday since my fiance took 1/2 day off. Oh well, maybe we will only get it in the morning of the day we're gonna get married. It's gonna be interesting alright :) Heh... a totally new journey ahead! Thank you again :) I hope things are going good for you! Oh, we're in Wake County by the way :)

Enjoy your married life! :) Celebrate!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
you cant apply your ssn before or after your married

This is wrong.

Perhaps you meant

you can apply your ssn before or after your married

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

----------

re: waiting 4 to 6 weeks.

YIKES - this is wrong.

This tells me the person that dealt with you, is a moron.

You have to be 'found' in the SAVE database, then if the names match, is immediate approval, with 1 to 7 day turn around. A properly trained clerk with know that, and do that, in real time, with you at the window.

Suggest you go back, get a supervisor at that office, have him check status of your case (face to face, not use telephone ) .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.