Sand

About Lawyer

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Sand,

In answer to your question, no a lawyer is not needed for the N-400 Citizenship application. The lawyer will not be allowed in the interview room with you, and more likely than not, will just be a waste of time and money to hire them, if you have a straight-forward case.

Instead, you can prepare for the N-400 by:

-Filling out the forms yourself and sending it in...

-Studying for the civics/history/English tests....(maybe taking a local community course can help too)

-Getting the help you need here on vj from vj guides and posts from other vjers... (which helped me the most, I admit...)

Likewise, I was nervous about my interview too, when it was my turn. I had to do it alone (though my husband and son were in the waiting room area for moral support)....but nevertheless, passed....

For more information, you can read about my detailed interview experience here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=229435&hl=

N-400: Ant’s Citizenship INTERVIEW PASSED.…BUT….(Part 1 of 2)…., (11/18/09) My Helpful Very Detailed N-400 Buffalo, NY Experience Here

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Ant

Hi, i would like to take a lawyer with me to my interview, i have nothing to be worried about but the thing is i get a lil bit nervousm so my question is, i can file for myself with no problem i can fill all the N-400 application and send it to USCIS . without a lawyer but is there any attorney can go to the interview just like this i mean to hire him/her just to go sit with u ??? and how much he /she will charge and what if i want to hire him/her to file for me ? how much will charge ???

Thanx alot,

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline
and if u live the curiosity u will be better, and this is non of ur business. just take care of urself and leave people alone.

First of all, YOU asked explicitly on a public forum for advise in your case. Therefore, you solicited my and other people's advise. If you now state this is non of my business and I should leave people alone, you obviously have an intellectual problem that manifests itself in the apparent lack of comprehension.

My response to your question was right on the money and given in order to help you.

You asked if you should have a lawyer present and I responded: No. No, because you are not even allowed to have a lawyer with you at the interview, and if you need somebody to hold your hand before you get into the room, you certainly find a more affordable companion than an immigration lawyer.

Secondly, also in an attempt to give you valuable advise, you should work on your English skills. If a 75 year-old woman from China, Japan, or Vietnam has problems with English, Immigration Officers tend to be more forgiving than when a relatively young Arab man sits in the hot chair. Learning the language of the country you want to become a citizen of is about as important as it gets and helps you in so many ways you are most likely unable to comprehend right now.

Finally, many people have deep emotional wounds since the Muslim terror attacks of September 11, and many have lost loved ones in those attacks, among them Immigration Officers.

Like at any interview, be it for a job or when applying for citizenship of a country, it is the first impression that often has a greater impact than anything else. If you wear a button telling the Immigration Officer that you want the deaths of the American Imperialist pigs who threaten the Islamic way of life, you are setting yourself up for possible failure as much as it gets. Whether you say that directly, or wear a button that implies such motion doesn't matter; as aforementioned, what matters is what is perceived by the observer or, in your case, they Immigration Officer across the table from you. That has little to do with freedom of religion, but everything to do with common sense and sensibility to the incredible suffering the American people had to endure.

I have no duck in this hunt, and I should care less if you become a US citizen, but after your uncalled for response to my helping hand, I once again am confirmed in my personal beliefs.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I did hire an attorney to help me bring my wife to be and her daughter here, a ton of foreign forms, which one to use, and the fastest easiest way to bring them here. Was totally new to immigration. If was also quite a learning experience for me and nice to deal with somebody that does this 24/7. Plus I had my work to do and wanted to spend what little time I had left over talking or chatting with my wife to be.

But when it came time for the I-751 and N-400, the I-751 was extremely simple, did call him, he said, do it yourself. I think I know why, would be pestering him every five minutes for our case status. Just those few questions on the N-400, out of politeness, asked him if he wanted to handle it again, he said no.

But if you have been through the AOS and lifting of conditions stages, shouldn't really have problems with the N-400, can always ask someone here for suggestions on filling out the form.

One time you may really need an immigration attorney is, if you have been naughty or wasn't quite honest on your application.

and if u live the curiosity u will be better, and this is non of ur business. just take care of urself and leave people alone.

First of all, YOU asked explicitly on a public forum for advise in your case. Therefore, you solicited my and other people's advise. If you now state this is non of my business and I should leave people alone, you obviously have an intellectual problem that manifests itself in the apparent lack of comprehension.

My response to your question was right on the money and given in order to help you.

You asked if you should have a lawyer present and I responded: No. No, because you are not even allowed to have a lawyer with you at the interview, and if you need somebody to hold your hand before you get into the room, you certainly find a more affordable companion than an immigration lawyer.

Secondly, also in an attempt to give you valuable advise, you should work on your English skills. If a 75 year-old woman from China, Japan, or Vietnam has problems with English, Immigration Officers tend to be more forgiving than when a relatively young Arab man sits in the hot chair. Learning the language of the country you want to become a citizen of is about as important as it gets and helps you in so many ways you are most likely unable to comprehend right now.

Finally, many people have deep emotional wounds since the Muslim terror attacks of September 11, and many have lost loved ones in those attacks, among them Immigration Officers.

Like at any interview, be it for a job or when applying for citizenship of a country, it is the first impression that often has a greater impact than anything else. If you wear a button telling the Immigration Officer that you want the deaths of the American Imperialist pigs who threaten the Islamic way of life, you are setting yourself up for possible failure as much as it gets. Whether you say that directly, or wear a button that implies such motion doesn't matter; as aforementioned, what matters is what is perceived by the observer or, in your case, they Immigration Officer across the table from you. That has little to do with freedom of religion, but everything to do with common sense and sensibility to the incredible suffering the American people had to endure.

I have no duck in this hunt, and I should care less if you become a US citizen, but after your uncalled for response to my helping hand, I once again am confirmed in my personal beliefs.

What the heck? You seriously think it makes ANY sense at all to spew intolerance and ignorance on a very multicultural forum? That's... well, it's really something.

God, I love the "ignore" function on this site.

Anyway, I don't have any advice for the O.P., so I'll just wish you the best of luck! And for the record, I think your english is just fine.

Edited by Holliday

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

Someone call the Waaammmmbulance.

November 8, 2004-Submitted AOS application

December 10, 2004-Application returned

December 31, 2004-Resubmitted application

February 28, 2005-Notice of Reciept

March 28, 2005-Appointment to pick up EAD

April 16, 2005-Fingerprinting

April 27, 2005-Interview in Sacramento-A Success!!

August 20, 2009 Mailed application for citizenship to Phoenix

August 25, 2009 Recd package in Phoenix

August 28, 2009 Date of NOA

September 1, 2009 Check Cashed

September 22, 2009 Appointment for fingerprinting

October 9, 2009 NOA of Interview

November 23, 2009 Interview date-A success

December 16, 2009-Oath at 8:30AM Merry Christmas!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I did hire an attorney to help me bring my wife to be and her daughter here, a ton of foreign forms, which one to use, and the fastest easiest way to bring them here. Was totally new to immigration. If was also quite a learning experience for me and nice to deal with somebody that does this 24/7. Plus I had my work to do and wanted to spend what little time I had left over talking or chatting with my wife to be.

But when it came time for the I-751 and N-400, the I-751 was extremely simple, did call him, he said, do it yourself. I think I know why, would be pestering him every five minutes for our case status. Just those few questions on the N-400, out of politeness, asked him if he wanted to handle it again, he said no.

But if you have been through the AOS and lifting of conditions stages, shouldn't really have problems with the N-400, can always ask someone here for suggestions on filling out the form.

One time you may really need an immigration attorney is, if you have been naughty or wasn't quite honest on your application.

Thank you NickD.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
It's normal to be nervous... but I'm sure that everything will go fine and go off without a hitch. Best of luck to you!

Thanks alot berber mama, well when i remember that i am going to the interview i get nervous, oh i went thru it 2 times first time when i was interviwed for my visa and the second time for my AOS. and now this is the time for the third .. well Thank you so much, and good luck to you too :)

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

We had our interview in Kuwait....They would not let anyone come with my husband or myself when we were there and interviewed us separately. Really I dont think a lawyer would be of benefit to you. There are translators there and believe me everyone is nervous. They are really very nice there. If everything id truthful and you are sincere in all your dealings, it will be OK.

Izzat and Eliza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
We had our interview in Kuwait....They would not let anyone come with my husband or myself when we were there and interviewed us separately. Really I dont think a lawyer would be of benefit to you. There are translators there and believe me everyone is nervous. They are really very nice there. If everything id truthful and you are sincere in all your dealings, it will be OK.

Tis weird indeed, in no way could my wife apply for USC with the three year marriage privilege without me. But at her interview I was non-existent as far as they were concerned. But she did have to show them my papers to get her USC, it's like they adopted their policies from Nazi Germany.

Since then, if anyone asks me for an ID, I use a very strong German accent and say, here are my papers. Sometimes I get a laugh or more likely, a weird look. I am nothing without my papers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.