bebop + rocksteady

Tougher time the less amount of time you've known each other?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As Yodrak's always says, the best piece of evidence are the beneficiaries themselves. The way they handle the interview and the evidence collected build a strong case.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
I have read an article by an attorney/former poster here that one of the contributing factors to a denial *can* be a swift courtship and matrimony.

See the article HERE.

Whether or not that applies to the OP, I don't know. But if none of the other contributing factors mentioned in the article apply to you, then its probably much ado about nothing.

Good read :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I've seen some hints around the forum about people having a harder time getting a I-129f approval for knowing each other a shorter amount of time. Craig and I have a very legitimate relationship and have been to see one another 5 times (at least 8-10 by the time the interview comes around), but alas, we only met online in the beginning of February. And met in person in April. And were engaged in June. A relatively short amount of time compared to many couples on here.

Does anyone think this is going to cause a problem or has experienced a problem with this? We have very solid proof of both meeting in the past 2 years as well as an ongoing relationship. But that won't help much if they are biased because we haven't even known each other a year.

I think the more important factor here is do you REALLY want to live in Louisville? :lol: I kid, I kid... I'm down there a lot for work so I like to poke a little fun, but hey Stevie Ray's is pretty cool :dance:

I wouldn't worry to much about the time thing, I think you guys will be just fine. :thumbs:

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I called my lawyer today and was told not to worry as long as she doesn't lie in the interview and make sure there is plenty of evidence of an ongoing relationship. I was also told you have to be engaged. I haven't given a ring yet and I wanted to do an formal proposal later with the ring. I am not sure how she should answer if they ask her about her engagement/proposal.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hahah!

HECK NO We don't want to live in Louisville! I'm from Southern Indiana and work in Louisville but you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Just happens to be our closest local office.

I'll never be a Kentuckian!

I think the more important factor here is do you REALLY want to live in Louisville? :lol: I kid, I kid... I'm down there a lot for work so I like to poke a little fun, but hey Stevie Ray's is pretty cool :dance:

I wouldn't worry to much about the time thing, I think you guys will be just fine. :thumbs:

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Hahah!

HECK NO We don't want to live in Louisville! I'm from Southern Indiana and work in Louisville but you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Just happens to be our closest local office.

I'll never be a Kentuckian!

Heehee, that's funny. :lol:

Qiao

我爱小兔子

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I've seen some hints around the forum about people having a harder time getting a I-129f approval for knowing each other a shorter amount of time. Craig and I have a very legitimate relationship and have been to see one another 5 times (at least 8-10 by the time the interview comes around), but alas, we only met online in the beginning of February. And met in person in April. And were engaged in June. A relatively short amount of time compared to many couples on here.

Does anyone think this is going to cause a problem or has experienced a problem with this? We have very solid proof of both meeting in the past 2 years as well as an ongoing relationship. But that won't help much if they are biased because we haven't even known each other a year.

here's our timeline at the beginning of our courtship:

met online end of Jan 2004

met in person first two weeks of April 2004

met in person again mid May 2004, engaged May 23, and started filling out the K-1 paperwork 2 days later

sent in visa papers June 2004

so, remarkably similar to your timeline! During my visa interview, the CO did ask "so you were engaged the second time you met in person?" I stumbled over some sort of answer, and she followed up with "Have you met each others' families yet?" I said "Oh yeah definitely" and started reaching into my bag to get the pictures to prove that not only had we met each other's families, but our parents had the chance to meet each other for a weekend as well. I didn't get a chance to do that, since she just replied "Ok" and moved on to something else.

Personally, I wouldn't be all that worried, but be prepared for some questioning just in case. It sounds like you have ample evidence required.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

This is the conclusion I've gatherd from hearing & reading about other cases.

At the USCIS level, it could raise a few red flags, but I don't think it should be a big issue overrall. The USCIS seems to focus mainly on 1) making sure you're single 2) making sure you've met in the past 2 years. They're probably the only reason why you'd be denied, I highly doubt you would get denied because you haven't known each other that long.

I think it might be more of an issue later on at the Embassy/consulate level. From what I hear, this is where you're truly judged on literally EVERYTHING (physically, mentally, emotionally).

This is just my personal opinion.

Edited by seldi

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

From what I understand based on the article posted, you cannot be refused at the consulate based on something that was already known when the I-129F petition was processed in the US. In other words, the Consular officer can't refuse you the visa at the interview because you have had a "short" courtship if the length of the courtship was known by the USCIS and they approved the I-129F anyway.

Anyone else read it that way?

I wasn't worried about this before, and not too bad now, but it's one more thing on my mind :-) We met in October (in person, I was living in the UK at the time and we actually met in a bar, believe it or not), I moved back to America a month later, and we have visited each other 4 times since then for two weeks at a time. We were engaged in May (had known one another 7 months) and got the NOA1 at the beginning of July. We would have filed earlier, but just as I was about to mail the stupid thing I noticed that the expiration date on the I-129F was a week later, and had to wait for the post-IMBRA form, which I guess was a lucky thing. So let's hope that we're all worrying for nothing...I'm sure we are :)

There are always 3 sides to a story, your side, their side and the God's honest truth in the middle. I for one had a terrible marriage and it came after a short courtship. Met in Mar and married in Nov the same year. I will never do that again. That lack of knowing the other person had me married to Satan's sister for 9 years and took me another 3.5 years to get rid of her officially. I legaly separated from Satan's sister in Jun 2002 and remained single until I just happened to meet my GF in Sept 05 through mutual friends.

In Sept 05, Our friends knowing both of us had come out of bad relationships, thought we had a lot in common, so we agreed to at least chat online and wow it was like we had known each other an eternity. We had so much in common. Both of us had our reservations and doubts, so we kept our plans to meet simple. I was already scheduled for a 30 day rotation to the Embassy in Manila, so we set it up to meet with a large group of friends on 5 Nov. I arrived on 31 Oct but all I could think about was meeting her, so I got in touch with our mutual friend and she found my Maria and they came to Manila to meet me on 2 Nov instead of waiting for the 5th. I remember it well, I was so nervous because we had only seen each other on cam and people are usually so different in person. I was waiting in the Hotel lobby and getting more nervous by the minute... worrying if she would lke me, if I would like her.... you know the first meeting is so awkward.

The moment of truth... I saw our friend first, then I see the most beautiful woman in the world coming towards me and OMG it is my Baby ko. She is more beautiful in person than her pics and the cam. We hit it off like old friends.

That was Nov 2005. I have mad eit a point to try and get to see her as often as possible since that day and can not get her out of my mind. I snuck back in for 4 days unannounced in Jan 2006, she was so surprised. I had struggled through the holidays before going back to see her with the questions all of us should be asking ourselves. Was I ready to give up the single life; was I ready to settle down with one person again; why do I feel this way about her, what is different, is this real or just infatuation..etc.

We spent 4 wonderful days together in Jan and were making plans for my vacation in Mar. My eldest daughter was graduating in Mar form High School and we invited my Baby ko. By the time Mar rolled around, any doubts I had, were gone. I knew the feelings inside were real and not jsut a passing moment. I ordered us "Promise rings" with our names engraved on them. When I arrive in the Philippines, we promised ourselves to each other and said "Ilove you" or the first time. We spent two weeks of bliss just getting to know each other more and more. We also applied for a tourist Visa so my Baby ko could come visit me in Hawaii. We had schedueld the interview during this trip so I could be there yet we were denied... a whole different story.

My daughter wanted to stay in the Philippines until the summer time with her friends, so we planned for me to go back in June and pick her up. My Babyko and I agreed to try for the tourist visa once again and schedueld it for the time frame I was gonna be there to pick up my daughter. We were once again denied, but spent 4 wonderful days together.

We have plans to meet again in Sept for about 4 days as I swing through after some busines in Japan. I have also worked on and volunteered for AmEmbassy Manila duty for a 6 month rotation that should begin in late Dec or early Jan. This will give us more time to get to know each other and let the long drawn out 129F process work.

Bottomline, in my opinion, getting to know someone via chat shortens the dating process as there are many things you can learn about your significant other. Do not be worried about the shortened dating-to-marriage process, just make sure you are totally comfortable with each other. If something about the other bothers you, now is the time to talk about it, not after you get hitched. Be 100% honest no matter what. Good luck and God Speed to everyone. Payat

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.