A and J

what do you do?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Thats a good idea with the university thing, when EAD comes through which would also benefit me greatly if it was able to help towards tuition etc as i know i need to do more schooling in order to become a teacher I did a BA in England but never got round to doing a PGCE so would need to look to what has to be done here....bingo another thing i can do while board out of my mind when everything finally gets approved :)

You should absolutely check out the local universities and colleges. I started working for one just a month or so after I got my EAD and it's been wonderful! I started out in a job that was way below my abilities, but the nice thing is that my benefits eligibility started accruing right away, plus once you are 'in' you can quite easily (at least in mine) switch departments and move on up the ladder of interesting stuff - and working where there are professors and students doing interesting stuff is pretty motivating. Just to give you some idea: I'm going to graduate pretty soon with a darn good law degree that has cost me (aside from the tuition tax you have to pay, because certain tuition benefits are classified as extra income) the grand total of zero dollars. If you can find an evening program for your teaching skills, and then work during the day to get the credit then I say go for it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Alex I sent you a PM :).

We should all write down what we do each day... :) It would be nice to see what others are doing!

So far its 8:51am, I have made myself a egg white omlette, just about to do some pilates. Took my dog out for a walk, and am just about to re arrange my cosmetics in the bathroom before showering and doing my make up :).

This afternoon we are going to the VA office to find out about some kinda support for us, and then on to a Body Pump class and do a run at the gym so I can keep fit while here.

I also brought ShaunT beach body insanity to do over 90 days :) I also have p90x! However currently I am watching Stargate on Hulu and painting my nails.

I got myself P90X too (that was 3 months ago) but gave up after 2 weeks... How are you doing with yours?

Waiting sux! For sure.

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I got myself P90X too (that was 3 months ago) but gave up after 2 weeks... How are you doing with yours?

Waiting sux! For sure.

I just looked that up and boy do they both seem intense, but defo something to think about, had a look at some results too on youtube so who knows.

Feb 28 2015 - N400 Sent

Mar 21 2011 - Green card arrived - done with the USCIS for 21 months
Mar 14 2011 - Green card ordered
Mar 14 2011 - AOS interview Approved
Feb 15 2011 - EAD card arrived
Jan 25 2011 - EAD card ordered
Jan 18 2011 - Biometric appointment Tampa Fl
Nov 18 2010 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD
Nov 13 2010 - Sent application to AOS

Oct 23 2010 - Wedding day - Las Vegas LDS Temple
Oct 05 2010 - POE Charlotte NC
Jul 15 2010 - Interview date at 8:00am - Approved
Apr 28 2010 - Received P4 with Jun 10 2010 interview date (need to change)
Apr 20 2010 - Sent of P3
Apr 20 2010 - Medical in London
Mar 23 2010 - NVC sent case to London
Mar 22 2010 - NVC got our case - London case # issued
Mar 17 2010 - NOA2 approved and our 1 year anniversary
Dec 12 2009 - NOA1 hard copy
Dec 02 2009 - I-129F posted via USPS

Love is what happens through the grace of God and it is he who blesses its and allows it to grow

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I just looked that up and boy do they both seem intense, but defo something to think about, had a look at some results too on youtube so who knows.

It's pretty good. You should try it. I just need that determination back. Though, there are 2 CDs that I still

regularly use. And yah, I've seen those youtube clips- some good results there. Just one of the ways to kill

time, you know.

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

There is also a habit I have picked up from my in-laws of endlessly browsing Craigslist. I got my skis on there, I got my snowshoes on there, I got my car on there. My boss got a free hot tub! You should check it out for new snowshoes!

Couldn't help but notice that your local office is Sacramento, CA though. Do you have snow there? Maybe Tahoe? You mentioned altitude so I gues that's it.

As for yorkshire pudding. I'm pretty sure that there's something different about the ingredients here. I can't get that to work properly either. Tastes good, looks like a fat pancake. Ooops.

Oooo Craigslist is a great idea, thanks Hudons, will look after my first pay check arrives. Yep you were right by the way we live in Lake Tahoe.

The only yorkshire puddings we've got to work good here were a package mix `Goldenfry' we found in the hispanic aisle of a grocery store one day. Not a grocery store in our town though unfortunately!

I've said this before I think, but universities are outstanding places to work, and you can usually get entry level positions at them (unless you are trying the University of California at the moment, which is in a bit of a predicament). The other benefit is that you may be able to get help with tuition for graduate level education.

Thats a great idea Britbird. I'm going to do an MBA part time in August. I noticed even an entry level administrator (no degree required) makes pretty good money & benefits at a university. I def will keep my eye open for jobs at our nearest university once I have a car. Good to know you found it easy to switch depts too. My husband keeps telling me if it's the right organization starting at any level helps get your foot in the door :star:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Thats a great idea Britbird. I'm going to do an MBA part time in August. I noticed even an entry level administrator (no degree required) makes pretty good money & benefits at a university. I def will keep my eye open for jobs at our nearest university once I have a car. Good to know you found it easy to switch depts too. My husband keeps telling me if it's the right organization starting at any level helps get your foot in the door :star:

Absolutely right - I started out doing admin type work (they couldn't quite understand why I wanted the job, but after months of visa/AOS ####### I would have counted paperclips if it meant having a job) and very quickly moved departments. It's a great way of establishing a work history, plus if you check out their tuition benefits you may well be eligible for benefits from other universities too. Not only that, but there are lots of other benefits to be had: the ones with med schools typically have on campus doctors offices, they will probably all have very good gyms, not to mention sports clubs, libraries, visiting speakers, more informal classes, and professional development classes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Absolutely right - I started out doing admin type work (they couldn't quite understand why I wanted the job, but after months of visa/AOS ####### I would have counted paperclips if it meant having a job) and very quickly moved departments. It's a great way of establishing a work history, plus if you check out their tuition benefits you may well be eligible for benefits from other universities too. Not only that, but there are lots of other benefits to be had: the ones with med schools typically have on campus doctors offices, they will probably all have very good gyms, not to mention sports clubs, libraries, visiting speakers, more informal classes, and professional development classes.

Sad day today I had to leave the SO behind as my VWP is due to run out and i have my graduation this weekend, 3 weeks til he is here and hopefully not to long til i get back over there

Feb 28 2015 - N400 Sent

Mar 21 2011 - Green card arrived - done with the USCIS for 21 months
Mar 14 2011 - Green card ordered
Mar 14 2011 - AOS interview Approved
Feb 15 2011 - EAD card arrived
Jan 25 2011 - EAD card ordered
Jan 18 2011 - Biometric appointment Tampa Fl
Nov 18 2010 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD
Nov 13 2010 - Sent application to AOS

Oct 23 2010 - Wedding day - Las Vegas LDS Temple
Oct 05 2010 - POE Charlotte NC
Jul 15 2010 - Interview date at 8:00am - Approved
Apr 28 2010 - Received P4 with Jun 10 2010 interview date (need to change)
Apr 20 2010 - Sent of P3
Apr 20 2010 - Medical in London
Mar 23 2010 - NVC sent case to London
Mar 22 2010 - NVC got our case - London case # issued
Mar 17 2010 - NOA2 approved and our 1 year anniversary
Dec 12 2009 - NOA1 hard copy
Dec 02 2009 - I-129F posted via USPS

Love is what happens through the grace of God and it is he who blesses its and allows it to grow

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I need something to do, I was going to do my fitness instructing training and was hoping to have my EAD by late January...Not gonna happen. Sat bored all day around his parents house because we cant move out until I get a full time job. I am so depressed sitting about all day, just me and the dog :(. And no money.

I always suggest:

1. go to a chamber of commerce event / meeting in his city (if you don't know how to find the chamber of commerce, send me a pm with yer city name, i'll find it for you ) - the ones for breakfast and lunch time are the best, imo - anything in evening time is 'just for fun' .

2. attend a local toastmasters guild meeting. (see www.toastmasters.org )

3. volunteer to be a reader at the library for the 'kiddies hour'

4. volunteer at the hospital

whilst ya canna move at the moment, ya can get OUT of the house, nae?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Word - there are loads of free things you can go to (unless you live in a village in the middle of nowhere, but even then I'm sure there are some elderly residents for you to go keep company.

Here are a few of the things I did while waiting for my EAD

1) Volunteered with the national parks service (they are great - they have a Volunteers In Parks program. Lots of fun.

2) Volunteered at a local theater/museum.

3) Go to your local university and get a list of all the visiting speakers/lunchtime talks etc. Those are really good. If there are classes you are particularly interested in you could ask to audit them.

Other suggestions which you could do (but I didn't) - go to a local school and see if they need any student reader volunteers, or student tutors (that can be really fulfilling). Volunteer at a local animal shelter. Or go take a cooking or art class - sometimes if you help the teacher out you can get in for free.

And for those who are upset about separation....just think, in a few years time after being hitched for a while you'll actually think a few weeks apart is a healthy thing :) It's tough right now, but trust me - you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.