Alex&Brittany

Passport Return - Urgent Help :(

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all

I went for my interview at the embassy on Thursday 19th November, and then had my medical in the afteroon,

At the time of the interview I told the lady that I had my flights booked for Wednesday 9th December (this wednesday coming)

The embassy received my medical results (which I passed) on the 24th November

I have called the embassy helpline (the £1.20 a minute) and they just say my case is open and it hasn't bee 'sent to print' yet...

Unless I get the passport back by tuesday, I am going to lose my flights and not be able to make the journey !!

Can anyone please help , and let me know if there is anything I can do to let the embassy know that I need this back by Tuesday ?!

Please help !

Thanks

Alex

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you have refundable tickets....you will need to get your money back.

Unfortunately this is one reason why they state to not make any travel arrangements until you actually have the visa in your hands.

There's nothing you can do to make them issue the visa any faster in order for you to make the flight that was booked already.

Good luck and best wishes :star:

Oh and welcome to the US....for when you do arrive

Married: 02/12/2009

Mailed I130 (Chicago Lockbox): 04/23/2009

I130 Received (Chicago Lockbox): 04/26/2009

I130 Received CSC: 04/30/2009

I130 Processed CSC: 04/30/2009

NOA1 Mailed: 04/30/2009

Check Cashed: 05/04/2009

Touch1: 05/05/2009

Touch2: 05/14/2009Touch3: 05/15/2009 Address change online?

Touch4: 05/22/2009Touch5: 05/26/2009 Called to check on address change, change made over the phone?

Touch6: 08/11/2009 Hopefully beginning to be processedTouch7: 08/12/2009

Touch8: 08/20/2009 RFE !! Response 09/01/2009

Touch9: 09/14/2009 Touch10: 09/21/2009

I130 APPROVED!! 09/21/2009

NVC case # assigned: 10/02/2009

BABY GIRL BORN 10/5/2009!!!

AOS bill generated:10/14/2009 Paid 10/15/2009

DS3032 e-mailed and mailed:10/21/2009

I864 mailed:10/22/2009

DS3032 accepted:11/09/2009

Received checklist letter for missing ds230: 11/09/2009

IV bill generated/paid/IV docs overnighted to NVC: 11/10/2009

IV docs received 11/12/2009

AVR:all docs received: 11/19/2009

SIGN IN FAILED!! 11/28/2009 woot woot!!

CASE COMPLETE!! 11/30/2009

Received Interview Letter: 12/02/2009

INTERVIEW: JANUARY 12, 2010

APPROVED!!! : 01/11/2010 interviewed after medical on 11th

POE JFK : 02/11/2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

the tickets aren't refundable,

The lady at the embassy said that I was going it all in plenty of time to make the 9th :( they didn't seem at all phased that I had already booked the flights and they even asked me about who I was flying with as a point of interest.

Anyone help ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi all

I went for my interview at the embassy on Thursday 19th November, and then had my medical in the afteroon,

At the time of the interview I told the lady that I had my flights booked for Wednesday 9th December (this wednesday coming)

The embassy received my medical results (which I passed) on the 24th November

I have called the embassy helpline (the £1.20 a minute) and they just say my case is open and it hasn't bee 'sent to print' yet...

Unless I get the passport back by tuesday, I am going to lose my flights and not be able to make the journey !!

Can anyone please help , and let me know if there is anything I can do to let the embassy know that I need this back by Tuesday ?!

Please help !

Thanks

Alex

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Its a hard pill to swallow. I hope your flight can be rebooked - usually for a fee. The Embassy warned you not to book your flights before you get the VISA in hand. You jumped the gun. There's nothing that can be done.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Its a hard pill to swallow. I hope your flight can be rebooked - usually for a fee. The Embassy warned you not to book your flights before you get the VISA in hand. You jumped the gun. There's nothing that can be done.

What they said. Lesson learned, you may be OK.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hi all

If I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Keep checking the DX site and plugging in your courier tracking number. The day before your visa is delivered, it will show up as a valid tracking number and tell you what day it's going to be delivered (which will be the next day, of course).

2. Hang in there until Dec 8. If your tracking number is still not valid, then call the airline and tell them you need to reschedule. Usually, they will do this for a fee (the last one I used was $250), which is better than losing your whole ticket price.

The embassy staff tells people 3-5 days. This doesn't account for broken printers (has happened before) and other unforeseen circumstances which might delay your visa.

I agree that you may be OK. I'll be hoping everything slides thru in time for you! :)

Edited by Snowbunnies

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Wow.. my wife had a similar issue. She had her interview and everything went fantastically well until it came time to get the fingerprints. Turns out her fingerprints are so shallow that the scanning machines cannot read them (the same thing happened here at the AOS biometrics appointment). The interviewer told her that she would have to come back in a few days when they could get a fingerprint expert to take her prints on paper. She made a pouty face and said, "Awww, but I already have my ticket... " And he said (very apologetically), "Well, we can't give visas based on that..." She said that she looked dejected and he said, "Oh... I'll let USCIS deal with this when you get to the states." And he passed her through without prints!

Timeline

Wow.. my wife had a similar issue. She had her interview and everything went fantastically well until it came time to get the fingerprints. Turns out her fingerprints are so shallow that the scanning machines cannot read them (the same thing happened here at the AOS biometrics appointment). The interviewer told her that she would have to come back in a few days when they could get a fingerprint expert to take her prints on paper. She made a pouty face and said, "Awww, but I already have my ticket... " And he said (very apologetically), "Well, we can't give visas based on that..." She said that she looked dejected and he said, "Oh... I'll let USCIS deal with this when you get to the states." And he passed her through without prints!

Well. if my wife looked like a movie star - like yours - I would let her pass too! LOL

Timeline
Hi all

If I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Keep checking the DX site and plugging in your courier tracking number. The day before your visa is delivered, it will show up as a valid tracking number and tell you what day it's going to be delivered (which will be the next day, of course).

2. Hang in there until Dec 8. If your tracking number is still not valid, then call the airline and tell them you need to reschedule. Usually, they will do this for a fee (the last one I used was $250), which is better than losing your whole ticket price.

The embassy staff tells people 3-5 days. This doesn't account for broken printers (has happened before) and other unforeseen circumstances which might delay your visa.

I agree that you may be OK. I'll be hoping everything slides thru in time for you! :)

Hey, I didn't notice you're in my home town - Minneapolis!! HOWDY. And your timeline is very close to ours. Send me an email and stay in touch.

Well. if my wife looked like a movie star - like yours - I would let her pass too! LOL

Haha.. She's back in Bangkok this week, so I will say "thank you" for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.