Nubby

Divorcing before removing conditions.

13 posts in this topic

Hi There. I really need some advice from everyone. Here is my situation. I married my US love this year, but after a couple of months, found out he had been cheating the entire time. So I left him - I had no choice! I would not want to stay with a cheater.

I received my GC with conditions prior to seperating. But now, im faced with the difficult task as to what to do when it comes time to submit my papers to remove the conditions.

Hubby and I are not legally seperated yet. Right now we are just living apart doing our own thing (well mind you..he has vandalised my car and sent my numerous abusive txt msgs to me AND he is also going around telling everyone i married him for papers which is totally not true!!!!!). I just found out he has left the state as well and moved north.

So my question is, if i apply for a divorce - will this be detriment to me? Will they deny me my GC without conditions? Seeing as my husband commited adultery and left me for other women? We married for love, everything is genuine with regards to us being a couple at the time we got married.

What would happen if i applied for divorce and then got married to another American (assuming i fall in love again) prior to submitting my papers for removal of confitions?

Or is it in my best interest to try and patch things up with this a**hole and have him come with me to the interview to remove my conditions. (do we actually need to interview ??)

Has anyone been through this situation? I really need some help. Thanks!

It's been done before; do a search on the forums.

One of the most important things that you'll need is to have proof of a bonafide marriage, like a joint lease, joint bank accounts, etc.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

WOW HOPE UR OK AFTER ALL WHAT HAPPED :(

WELL SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST LIKE THIS CAN'T B WITH JUST ONE PERSON...

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION...I THINK THAT THE BEST THINK U CAN DO IS TO FIND A LOWER ANYWAY YOU WILL NEED ONE FOR THE DIVORCE PROCEDURE.

BUT ANYWAY YOU NEED TO CONTACT YOUR EX AND DISCUSS THIS SITUATION WITH HIM LIKE A GROWN PERSON. BECAUSE EVEN IF U DECIDE TO DIVORCE HIM NOW HE NEED TO SIGN THE PAPERS TOO. AND IF THE CONTINUOUS TO SUPPORT THE VERSION ABOUT THE FAKE MARRIAGE IT WILL NOT B GOOD FOR U. ON MY OPINION THE BEST THING IS IF U CAN FIND A LOWER AND TALK TO HIM B4 U CALL AND CANCEL WUTEVER IT IS.

WOW HOPE UR OK AFTER ALL WHAT HAPPED :(

WELL SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST LIKE THIS CAN'T B WITH JUST ONE PERSON...

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION...I THINK THAT THE BEST THINK U CAN DO IS TO FIND A LOWER ANYWAY YOU WILL NEED ONE FOR THE DIVORCE PROCEDURE.

BUT ANYWAY YOU NEED TO CONTACT YOUR EX AND DISCUSS THIS SITUATION WITH HIM LIKE A GROWN PERSON. BECAUSE EVEN IF U DECIDE TO DIVORCE HIM NOW HE NEED TO SIGN THE PAPERS TOO. AND IF THE CONTINUOUS TO SUPPORT THE VERSION ABOUT THE FAKE MARRIAGE IT WILL NOT B GOOD FOR U. ON MY OPINION THE BEST THING IS IF U CAN FIND A LOWER AND TALK TO HIM B4 U CALL AND CANCEL WUTEVER IT IS.

yeah...find a lower!

I'm in the midst of my I-751 with a waiver based on divorce. My lawyer was very pleased to know, that my divorce was finalised *before the I-751. This is crucial he said and makes things "easier". So, the most important thing right now, is that you get that final divorce decree. Depending on the state where the divorce is filed, it could take a few months. So, start right away. You should file for the divorce if he's not willing to.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Hi Nubby, sorry to hear your story and hope you're doing well in spite of all.

I am also separating (for different causes than you), so I went to a Legal Aid lawyer and she told me that the MOST important thing is to prove that you ENTERED the marriage in good faith. Basically, showing what you had during your AOS interview (things that prove you entered the marriage in good faith) plus of course stuff from the joint life after marriage if you have it (hopefully you do). She said that it doesn't really matter who is applying for divorce as long as it is not detrimental to you of course (saying that you married for immigration purposes only, etc.) But I am not 100% sure about this last part, I was not really convinced that it makes no difference who applies for the divorce.

In my case, he abandoned me (love was still there but we had other issues), but I don't want to file on grounds of abandonment so we are signing a separation first and waiting 1 year to divorce - with no grounds.

But I have this feeling in the back of my mind that of course they are going to ask all the details about it, who asked for divorce etc... oh man, having to go through it and also talk about it to complete strangers (IOs)... no one deserves it in life.

Mar. 2011: I-751 waiver petition sent (divorce decree missing); decree rcvd' & sent: Apr. 2011

Oct. 2011: permanent GC approved (no interview); rcvd': Dec. 2011

Dec. 2013 - Citizenship application N-400 (90 days to 5 yr. LPR)

Sorry, I deleted my personal data / timeline info because of a crazy person/stalker in the site - you never know what a disturbed person can do...

if you need any info, feel free to ask me =)

hey resilient! sorry to hear about your situation too. i have replied to you on a few other threads =)

just a quick one...so.... you can use Legal Aid even though we are a conditional PR??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
What would happen if i applied for divorce and then got married to another American (assuming i fall in love again) prior to submitting my papers for removal of confitions?

not a solution for your current situation.... a new USC spouse would not be a participant or be able to provide any help in your "removing conditions" petition. To remove conditions it must be based on the facts surrounding your original marriage that was the basis of your original status adjustment.. not any subsequent marriage

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Hi There. I really need some advice from everyone. Here is my situation. I married my US love this year, but after a couple of months, found out he had been cheating the entire time. So I left him - I had no choice! I would not want to stay with a cheater.

I received my GC with conditions prior to seperating. But now, im faced with the difficult task as to what to do when it comes time to submit my papers to remove the conditions.

Hubby and I are not legally seperated yet. Right now we are just living apart doing our own thing (well mind you..he has vandalised my car and sent my numerous abusive txt msgs to me AND he is also going around telling everyone i married him for papers which is totally not true!!!!!). I just found out he has left the state as well and moved north.

So my question is, if i apply for a divorce - will this be detriment to me? Will they deny me my GC without conditions? Seeing as my husband commited adultery and left me for other women? We married for love, everything is genuine with regards to us being a couple at the time we got married.

Or is it in my best interest to try and patch things up with this a**hole and have him come with me to the interview to remove my conditions. (do we actually need to interview ??)

"What would happen if i applied for divorce and then got married to another American (assuming i fall in love again) prior to submitting my papers for removal of confitions?"

Don't even think about it until you have your GC.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

"What would happen if i applied for divorce and then got married to another American (assuming i fall in love again) prior to submitting my papers for removal of confitions?"

Thanks Dakine. Yeah that was just a hypothetical. I dont think i'll be marrying so soon again. After the break down of this marriage i think its time to reflect (and to choose carefully!!)

Thanks Dakine. Yeah that was just a hypothetical. I dont think i'll be marrying so soon again. After the break down of this marriage i think its time to reflect (and to choose carefully!!)

ERRRR... Why is that we can't even think about it (finding someone new)? In my age, I do /should want to find a new person as soon as possible so I can still have kids... What's the problem with finding someone new between the separation and getting the permanent GC? Meaning, not TO GET a GC, but to have a new love in life and a future with someone? I don't see any problem with that. Does someone? And why?

Mar. 2011: I-751 waiver petition sent (divorce decree missing); decree rcvd' & sent: Apr. 2011

Oct. 2011: permanent GC approved (no interview); rcvd': Dec. 2011

Dec. 2013 - Citizenship application N-400 (90 days to 5 yr. LPR)

Sorry, I deleted my personal data / timeline info because of a crazy person/stalker in the site - you never know what a disturbed person can do...

if you need any info, feel free to ask me =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.