David-J

In retrospective just a tip for everyone starting their K1 process

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

HI everyone.

I received my Green Card today. :dance: . Now that I have pretty much finished the process I just wanted to share a couple of things that may help you in your process.

- I know everyone says it but it needs to be repeated. Be honest in all your applications, don't lie or conceal any information. Makes things easier and faster.

- Be patient and don't rush your application. Make sure you have all the paperwork for it. I know you want to be with your significant other as soon as possible but triple check everything.

- One thing I noticed that it helped us a lot and I didn't see it posted here, was our K1 visa evidence. We submitted a lot of stuff. Lots of telephone calls and I mean a lot. Lots of emails, several photos, etc. Because of the amount of things we submitted when I had the interview at the consulate for the K1 they didn't ask me much. They just looked at all the phone calls and said WOW. Same thing with the interview for the Adjustment of Status. They just looked at all the phone calls and the officer said " you sure called each other a lot", 5 mins later we were out the there approved. I'm not saying you must do as I did, I'm just telling you how it affected us in a very positive way.

So in summary, make sure you prepare very well that K1 visa because it's going to affect the rest of the process. Hope it all works out for you as it did for us. Also remember to stay calm, if you prepare everything right and triple check it, everything will be alright.

Cheers and if you look at my timeline and my circumstances and you think I can help you out; send me a message and I will be more than gladly than try to help you.

Cheers and good luck everyone!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Mexico City, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-08

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-02-27

NVC Received : 2009-03-02

NVC Left : 2009-03-13

Consulate Received : 2009-03-16

Packet 3 Received : 2009-04-28

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-04-29

Packet 4 Received : 2009-04-28

Interview Date : 2009-05-19 Around 9 am

Visa Received : 2009-05-19 Around 2 pm

US Entry : 2009-30-05

Marriage : 2009-12-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 81 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 162 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

HI everyone.

I received my Green Card today. :dance: . Now that I have pretty much finished the process I just wanted to share a couple of things that may help you in your process.

- One thing I noticed that it helped us a lot and I didn't see it posted here, was our K1 visa evidence. We submitted a lot of stuff. Lots of telephone calls and I mean a lot. Lots of emails, several photos, etc. Because of the amount of things we submitted when I had the interview at the consulate for the K1 they didn't ask me much. They just looked at all the phone calls and said WOW. Same thing with the interview for the Adjustment of Status. They just looked at all the phone calls and the officer said " you sure called each other a lot", 5 mins later we were out the there approved. I'm not saying you must do as I did, I'm just telling you how it affected us in a very positive way.

You provided evidence of phone calls after you were married for the AOS interview?? Why??

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

HI everyone.

- I know everyone says it but it needs to be repeated. Be honest in all your applications, don't lie or conceal any information. Makes things easier and faster.

- Be patient and don't rush your application. Make sure you have all the paperwork for it. I know you want to be with your significant other as soon as possible but triple check everything.

So in summary, make sure you prepare very well that K1 visa because it's going to affect the rest of the process. Hope it all works out for you as it did for us. Also remember to stay calm, if you prepare everything right and triple check it, everything will be alright.

Cheers and if you look at my timeline and my circumstances and you think I can help you out; send me a message and I will be more than gladly than try to help you.

Cheers and good luck everyone!

I whole heartedly agree - PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! Understanding the entirety of the process (and the different options) before you start can be a huge help and keep you from being blind sided later.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
make sure you prepare very well that K1 [petition] because it's going to affect the rest of the process.
Si, man -- and it goes without saying that K-1 petitions from Ecuador filers need to be front-loaded with the "kitchen sink" as far as evidence of relationship. See the Regional forum, Latin American subforum, "U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil, Ecuador" thread for just the tip of THAT iceberg.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm a firm believer in you cannot have too much evidence.

Congrats.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Everyone seems to agree we need a lot of evidence for the K1 application, but I seem to remember a thread from "Gary and Alla", relaying information from an official at the Vermont service center, who said that you really just need to prove you've met in person:

"What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa."

I guess the rationale of providing extra stuff with the initial K1 application is that it makes the visa interview process easier because your entire file is forwarded to the embassy and is thus available to the office before the actual interview. Maybe I'm misguided here, but it seems like you need to prove two things:

1. You've met in person in the two years previous to K1 application (must provide with the I-129F)

2. You have an ongoing relationship (must provide at visa interview)

Is this on the right track?

A journey begins...

-----------------------------------------------------------

06-Nov-09 - sent I-129F to CSC

10-Nov-09 - NOA1 date

21-Jan-10 - NOA2 date

29-Jan-10 - Left NVC

11-Feb-10 - Returned packet 3

26-Feb-10 - Received packet 4

05-Mar-10 - Medical

16-Mar-10 - Interview

24-Mar-10 - POE Houston

Everyone seems to agree we need a lot of evidence for the K1 application, but I seem to remember a thread from "Gary and Alla", relaying information from an official at the Vermont service center, who said that you really just need to prove you've met in person:

"What about extra documents? Proof of relationship? We don't need it, only that they have met for the fiancee visa."

I guess the rationale of providing extra stuff with the initial K1 application is that it makes the visa interview process easier because your entire file is forwarded to the embassy and is thus available to the office before the actual interview. Maybe I'm misguided here, but it seems like you need to prove two things:

1. You've met in person in the two years previous to K1 application (must provide with the I-129F)

2. You have an ongoing relationship (must provide at visa interview)

Is this on the right track?

It is highly country dependant. For London (like my experience) relationship evidence is (almost) never asked for. For Ecuador or other high fraud or difficult consulates, they make the decision before the interview, and there is no opportunity given to submit evidence at the interview, so sending with the petition to be sent with the rest of the file is recommended, so it is dangerous to just say across the board one way or the other. The consulate needs to be considered.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

That makes sense.

Anyone know if Trinidad is a high fraud / difficult country??

A journey begins...

-----------------------------------------------------------

06-Nov-09 - sent I-129F to CSC

10-Nov-09 - NOA1 date

21-Jan-10 - NOA2 date

29-Jan-10 - Left NVC

11-Feb-10 - Returned packet 3

26-Feb-10 - Received packet 4

05-Mar-10 - Medical

16-Mar-10 - Interview

24-Mar-10 - POE Houston

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
HI everyone.

You provided evidence of phone calls after you were married for the AOS interview?? Why??

I'm just telling you my experience. You don't need phone calls for your AOS interview but like they have said before they forward your case. So for the AOS they have all the paperwork and forms you have submitted. In our case when they were reviewing our case it helped us when they saw our evidence. When they saw it they just knew that ours was a serious relationship and therefore the interview was a mere formality. Just my experience.

Cheers and good luck!

Consulate : Mexico City, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-08

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-02-27

NVC Received : 2009-03-02

NVC Left : 2009-03-13

Consulate Received : 2009-03-16

Packet 3 Received : 2009-04-28

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-04-29

Packet 4 Received : 2009-04-28

Interview Date : 2009-05-19 Around 9 am

Visa Received : 2009-05-19 Around 2 pm

US Entry : 2009-30-05

Marriage : 2009-12-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 81 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 162 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

HI everyone.

I'm just telling you my experience. You don't need phone calls for your AOS interview but like they have said before they forward your case. So for the AOS they have all the paperwork and forms you have submitted. In our case when they were reviewing our case it helped us when they saw our evidence. When they saw it they just knew that ours was a serious relationship and therefore the interview was a mere formality. Just my experience.

Cheers and good luck!

Yes I undestand that of course thay have your case file at the AOS interview (and all the info submitted with the I-129F or for the embassy interview). I thought you were saying you submitted additional data on phone calls made after marriage, but not so.

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.