Seven

Help...it's killing me

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everybody!

I have a question...coz of that can't sleep and spend the days crying because of that

I got into USA 2 days ago visit my boyfriend...I've already been this year another 3 months using the VW and come this time using VW as well...I called the embassy and even asked to a USA border officer if would be any problem for me to use the VW for 2 months after waiting 4 months not going to USA from my last visit and they told me no problem.

But yeah, i had a problem and i was sent to second inspection where the officer was checking my checked in bags and doing thousand of questions...One of the questions was: do you have a boyfriend? i was so scared to be sent back home and told them no and then they asked again and i said no. After one hour they let me go in the states. But when i was waiting in my boarding gate i broke down and cry like crazy because we are planning to apply for a k1 visa after i leave back to my country and i don't know if will be a problem or a reason of denial i told the officer i dont got a boyfriend. I wanna let you know i wrote his address (well, his parents address where he is living) in the papers to fill in the plane and ESTA.

Maybe we should of wait more to apply for the k1 since that happened?

I can't believe after all what we went through and all we are going to go through maybe it would be all ###### up and can't be with the man i love for life just because i said i don't got a boyfriend. Please i would be happy of an early reply.

Thanks so much

It's never a good idea to lie to either USCIS or a border patrol agent. But, what's done is done.

The visa waiver program has specific guidelines, and 'overusing' it isn't something that CBP are too happy about. I suspect if you try it again, it won't work and you'll be turned back.

Will all these VWP entries effect your K1 application? Likely not. Will the lie to the agent hurt you in the K1 process? Hard to say. But there's nothing you can do about it now.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

You should have told the truth, but it's not a problem. You'll just need to return home before your VW expires and let him begin the K-1 process. Good luck!

Is there some reason you aren't starting the K1 process *now*? You can wait out a large portion of the processing period now that you are here in the US.

Anyway, as we say here, "No use crying over spilled milk" That means, Don't spend time dwelling on and worrying about things you've done in the past that you can't change. Keep your chin up and move past it. Enjoy your time with your fiance, and stop letting this get in the way of that.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I don't think I would stress over it too much. When I went to visit Rob I flew into Manchester and took the train up to Scotland. When the agent asked me why I was visiting, I said "to visit my fiance". I thought he was not going to let me in after that. All of a sudden it was:

Where does he live?

Where do you live?

Do you have a job?

Where?

What day are you going back to work?

How much money do you have access to?

How do I know you can afford to leave the country? (I flew on a friends flight discount so the return ticket wasn't booked, although it was already paid)

How are you going to get home if you don't have your ticket booked right this sec?

Why did you land in Manchester? (DUH it was cheaper with the discount)

How are you getting to Scotland? (Really? There is a train station at the Manchester airport...I'm certainly not walking.)

*Continue the drill for about 15 minutes*

I finally looked at the guy and told him I was there to meet my fiance's family, but I was NOT getting married while I was there. I also told him my brother was in the U.S. Military and he backed down a lot then. I think they just try to be elusive to trick you into saying something. I just called him out on it, gave him a very dirty look, and he finally backed off and let me in.

If there is a next time for you, just tell the truth right off the bat, and then you won't have to stress about it later. ;)

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

I can't believe after all what we went through and all we are going to go through maybe it would be all ###### up and can't be with the man i love for life just because i said i don't got a boyfriend. Please i would be happy of an early reply.

I think we can all understand you're upset about this - but I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if you had said you had a boyfriend, there is no real reason to believe they wouldn't have let you in anyway (its possible, but having a boyfriend/girlfriend isn't reason alone to be denied entry). To me, you've really done nothing wrong except be nervous when you got 'interviewed' - who wouldn't?

And if you want to file the K-1 now (or while you're in the US), I'd say "If it were me, I'd file now and not give it a second thought."

Filed: Other Timeline
I don't think I would stress over it too much. When I went to visit Rob I flew into Manchester and took the train up to Scotland. When the agent asked me why I was visiting, I said "to visit my fiance". I thought he was not going to let me in after that. All of a sudden it was:

Where does he live?

Where do you live?

Do you have a job?

Where?

What day are you going back to work?

How much money do you have access to?

How do I know you can afford to leave the country? (I flew on a friends flight discount so the return ticket wasn't booked, although it was already paid)

How are you going to get home if you don't have your ticket booked right this sec?

Why did you land in Manchester? (DUH it was cheaper with the discount)

How are you getting to Scotland? (Really? There is a train station at the Manchester airport...I'm certainly not walking.)

*Continue the drill for about 15 minutes*

I finally looked at the guy and told him I was there to meet my fiance's family, but I was NOT getting married while I was there. I also told him my brother was in the U.S. Military and he backed down a lot then. I think they just try to be elusive to trick you into saying something. I just called him out on it, gave him a very dirty look, and he finally backed off and let me in.

If there is a next time for you, just tell the truth right off the bat, and then you won't have to stress about it later. ;)

No offense, but that was your experience with UK immigration. Doesn't really relate to what happened to the OP.

I hope you learned never to lie to the IO in the future. It *can* have serious effects on your success on entering and even present a ban from the country in some situations.

But what's done is done.

Personally I don't think you'll have any problems because as far as I know they don't record every detail about the answers you give. I know that there was one time I claimed my fiance was my "boyfriend", even though I had already used the word "fiance" many times on other visits (one of those times being difficult). But then, I don't know why they sent you to secondary and what happens to your file afterwards.

Edited by Gemmie

They have no way of knowing that you're not 'visiting a friend' who becomes your boyfriend during this trip and you decide you want to get married and file a K1 application. Unless they ask, of course! You only need to prove that you've met in person during the 2 years prior to applying for the K1, but that doesn't mean you need to be 'an item' at the time of meeting. They will probably ask you when you got engaged, so be honest about that but if he hasn't formally yet and you don't have a ring, get one during this trip. :yes:

I agree that you should file the K1 asap so you can wait out about half the NOA1 to NOA2 waiting time together. You don't need to be in Spain when he sends it off.

And yup, next time just be honest and say he's your boyfriend (or fiance if you've sent in the K1 and you're travelling while waiting). Just take your NOA1 with you and tell them that you want to join him legally in the country so applied for a K1 but want to spend some time together during the waiting process and will return when your VWP has expired or you need to return to complete the process with the embassy in Spain. It's reasonable, understandable and most importantly where immigration is concerned: honest :)

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everybody!

I have a question...coz of that can't sleep and spend the days crying because of that

I got into USA 2 days ago visit my boyfriend...I've already been this year another 3 months using the VW and come this time using VW as well...I called the embassy and even asked to a USA border officer if would be any problem for me to use the VW for 2 months after waiting 4 months not going to USA from my last visit and they told me no problem.

But yeah, i had a problem and i was sent to second inspection where the officer was checking my checked in bags and doing thousand of questions...One of the questions was: do you have a boyfriend? i was so scared to be sent back home and told them no and then they asked again and i said no. After one hour they let me go in the states. But when i was waiting in my boarding gate i broke down and cry like crazy because we are planning to apply for a k1 visa after i leave back to my country and i don't know if will be a problem or a reason of denial i told the officer i dont got a boyfriend. I wanna let you know i wrote his address (well, his parents address where he is living) in the papers to fill in the plane and ESTA.

Maybe we should of wait more to apply for the k1 since that happened?

Thanks so much

I doubt it will affect anything. DO NOT lie to anyone in this process about anything.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you...yeah makes sense...anyway now thinkin bout it better...they're not forced to make u call boyfriend or girlfriend someone nowadays...maybe we're just been getting to know each other even can sleep together but u don't need to call boyfriend or girlfriend someone coz of that...so yeah we will get officially engaged during this trip so all the information we give will be honest...we first met 2 years ago and we'll be recently engaged by the time of filling...Btw...we decided to apply for it when i go back to my country since i have to end my bachelors in my country first.

But yeah...def i will forget what happened and take it as a life lesson i won't lie even in the most insignificative detail next time. Thanks for your answers is very helpful

Thank you! Yup he b my hubby...true love won't fail after all. Thanks all of you...i'm going to do what i came here for and is enjoy thanksgivin and xtmas with my man!

Erm, nope, he won't. He'll be your fiance! lol... Sounds like I'm picking bones, but you have to be ueber-careful in this process to call people by what they are. He'll be your fiance until you enter the US on a K1 and get married. Then he'll be your hubby :D

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.