houseon24

How to find a good immigration laywer?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

i agree that your 4 years in afghanistan will result in some serious scrutiny on the part of USCIS. this is especially true in principle if the USC is an immigrant who has gained naturalisation by immigration from a muslim country, and if the intended bride is muslim. if so, i see a long period of administrative review.

i also see the issue of a home address in USA and sufficient income to sponsor as possible problems. the fact that your GF has been warned not to re-enter, even with a tourist vasa (as opposed to waiver) could mean that she appears to have immigrant intent - too much time in the states, looks like you will be married and adjust status, etc, or it could be a more serious issue, possibly related to her middle east connections (yes, iknow AFGST is not quite middle east, but most think of it as so)...

you can follow the guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

but you should prolly spend a few hundred bux in consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer first. could be you're just really nice folks, but with all the azzholes trying to get into USA and muslim terrorists flying planes into buildings and such, ANYTHING gets looked at these days.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Do yourself a favor: don't get a lawyer. Just tune into VJ, and get help every step of the way. YOu will save thousand$ and get things done quicker than if a lawyer becomes your middle man. Good luck.

Here's an example of how things can go horribly wrong when people think it's easy to do it yourself or think they can get by asking questions when they have no clue what to ask.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226644

I read that thread and had to bite my tongue when I saw some of the ridiculous claims in there regarding the guides on this site. Unfortunately, if the OP of that thread made it past #1 in the AOS guide, they would probably have an AP in-hand within the next week or so.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline
Another option open to you -- since you are currently in the US -- is to stay and adjust status. You will find that forum here: Adjustment of Status From Work, Student, & Tourist Visas

Moving from K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion.

I think we might hve to do a gamble and do a quickie - and then AOS....

and

Just to clarify! We are both totally 'normal', 'nice' people - as are most people from Muslim countries :)!

We both lived and worked in Afghanistan in the relief and support sector for Western (American) Companies. There is nothing fishy at all about it.

Regarding having sufficient income -that is not going to be a problem and everything in our relationship is totally legal and natural - except for the fact the we have probably waited a bit too long to get married.. But you know... some things you gotta be sure of before you make the final decision..

I was wondering if maybe it will help me that I actually have a Nato clearance and a security clearance from the Danish version of FBI? That means that they have gone through all my records (both financial and criminal) and found that I am one of the good guys (ehh... girls)...

I must say that I honestly don't understand how people go through this! I find it extremely depressing and what should be a beautiful celebration of love is now turning into legal mumbo jumbo... Blah! Not fun!

I am already addicted to this forum what a great resource!

Thanks

';l

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hello Everybody

We are brand new to this forum and we are (as a lot of other people here) feeling very frustrated with what to do.

We have been together for almost 5 years - but have both been living and working in another country (not his or hers country) together.

We are now looking into hiring an immigration lawyer to help us with this process but how do we find a good one?

When we google "immigration lawyer + the city the US Citizen live in" - we get a lot of hits - but when we look at each attorney's website - they don't appear to be specialized in immigration law or even write on their websites that they deal with it.

THe European fiancee in this couple is currently here on a tourist visa (visa-waiver) and we were planning to file for a K1 visa once she returns to Europe. Now we realized how long that can take - and are wondering if there might be other options for us.... (maybe a quickie and then go for the K3?) An immigration lawyer should hopefully be able to help us figure out the best way in this situation.

The fiancee can not return to the US again without it being a K-visa as she was barely allowed to enter the country on this last return t the US.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Houseon24!

If you are looking for help with a K1 Visa, I highly recommend Jim Phair. We used him to get our fiancee visa and I was very thankful for all of his help. Some people prepare their packages themselves, but the process was a little confusing to me, and since I am a worry wart, I didn't want to take any chances on getting it done wrong. He prepares all of the paperwork for you and will submit directly to USCIS - you just have to sign the papers.

Here is Mr Phair's website:

http://www.fianceevisas.net/

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Timeline

Just to clarify! We are both totally 'normal', 'nice' people - as are most people from Muslim countries :)!

We both lived and worked in Afghanistan in the relief and support sector for Western (American) Companies. There is nothing fishy at all about it.

I was wondering if maybe it will help me that I actually have a Nato clearance and a security clearance from the Danish version of FBI? That means that they have gone through all my records (both financial and criminal) and found that I am one of the good guys (ehh... girls)...

risky decision, but yours to make

most muslims are OK with me. i have several chinese muslim friends. there are so many different kinds of muslims it's hard to keep track, but wahibists have strong influence in the 'stan, so you will be scrutinised. finding a lawyer with relevant experience will be difficult, as your case is somewhat unique.

your nato clearance is worth nothing in this case. the USCIS has it's own rules, and will prolly hold you in "name check" for a long time if you were born in a muslim country or are of muslim parentage. you may also get administrative review. if you had been a caucasian dane, i think things would be easier. some say this is not fair, but it costs a lot of cash to put up 5 new buildings in new york, and to buy off the families of the dead.

Filed: Country: Denmark
Timeline

risky decision, but yours to make

most muslims are OK with me. i have several chinese muslim friends. there are so many different kinds of muslims it's hard to keep track, but wahibists have strong influence in the 'stan, so you will be scrutinised. finding a lawyer with relevant experience will be difficult, as your case is somewhat unique.

your nato clearance is worth nothing in this case. the USCIS has it's own rules, and will prolly hold you in "name check" for a long time if you were born in a muslim country or are of muslim parentage. you may also get administrative review. if you had been a caucasian dane, i think things would be easier. some say this is not fair, but it costs a lot of cash to put up 5 new buildings in new york, and to buy off the families of the dead.

hmmm... dont really want to get into a discussion over this but am a bit offended by your 9/11 comments. I am a totally Caucasian Dane - I only worked in Afghanistan... I think that was pretty clear from my first posts... but anyways - we will figure it out - thanks for your help.

Have a good day :)

Houseon24

Filed: Other Timeline

Firstly, the finance doesn't have a tourist visa. A tourist visa is a B2 and a visa waiver is not a visa.

Secondly, you do not have a clear cut, butter-smooth case.

Thirdly, there are cases where an experienced immigration attorney does come handy. I used one, and if I had to go back in time, would use the same one again.

Which attorney to use depends on where you live. I would almost always retain one I can visit in person, check out during an initial (and free of charge) consultation. Where do you live?

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
hmmm... dont really want to get into a discussion over this but am a bit offended by your 9/11 comments. I am a totally Caucasian Dane - I only worked in Afghanistan... I think that was pretty clear from my first posts... but anyways - we will figure it out - thanks for your help.

you can be offended all you like. it's my skyline and my tax dollars we're talking about.

the kill ratio has been about 100 to 1 since that day, so things are just about even. call it American justice.

hell, i still remember pearl.

it was not clear from your initial posts that you are a danish born caucasian. i understood that you were working for an American company that is attempting to change education and sentiment in the stan (my tax dollars since the 80's), and that we are losing to the wahibists hand and foot. i am aware that denmark has a strict immigration policy, especially in regard to muslims, but it seemed as though you were one, however unlikely that would seem.

in that case, you can reduce your concern for name check and administrative processing. good luck in your efforts to immigrate to USA, but don't complain when you get here that it's not like denmark. on the bright side, harleys are much cheaper in the USA. IIRC, my danish friend peter paid $40K euros to buy one in denmark in 2005. last i heard they threw him out of china for running the local girls, and FLS dropped him in egypt. he prolly has a thousand kilometers on that bike.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.