Danno

What a turnaround! Democrates scramble to hang on to Democrat turf.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Democrats Scramble to Prevent GOP Victories in Key Races

In a coup of sorts for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the Republican candidate who just dropped out of the race for an upstate New York congressional seat endorsed her former Democratic opponent Sunday. President Obama also stumped for Gov. Jon Corzine at two New Jersey campaign events.

Gov. Jon Corzine listens to President Obama at a campaign rally Nov. 1 in Camden, N.J. (AP Photo)

President Obama and his Democratic allies pulled out the stops Sunday in a bid to prevent Republicans from sweeping the major state and local elections Tuesday.

In a coup of sorts for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the Republican candidate who just dropped out of the race for an upstate New York congressional seat endorsed her former Democratic opponent.

Dede Scozzafava's decision to back Democrat Bill Owens could help stanch the expected migration of her supporters toward Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman's campaign.

Obama also personally vouched for New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine Sunday in his tough race for re-election against Republican Chris Christie. The president traveled to two Democratic strongholds in the Garden State to urge supporters to drive up voter turnout on Tuesday just as they did for him a year ago.

"You need to work hard on Tuesday," Obama told a Camden crowd. "I need you to go back into your neighborhood. I'm going to need you to knock on doors. ... I'm going to need you to do the same thing you did last year."

But the last-minute maneuvers come ahead of a perilous election for Democrats. In the other major race, Virginia's gubernatorial election, Republican Bob McDonnell appears poised for victory over Democrat Creigh Deeds. A Richmond Times-Dispatch poll released Sunday showed McDonnell leading Deeds by double digits, which is consistent with other recent surveys.

The White House is aware Democratic losses would be spun as a referendum on Obama. The results of Tuesday's elections could also foreshadow next year's elections, when 37 governorships come up for grabs.

The Obama administration seems to view the New Jersey race as its best hope for victory, and has devoted the president's final campaign push to that race.

On Sunday, Obama attended a rally first in Camden and then in Newark, both areas where Democrats far outnumber Republicans. The strategy is to drive up turnout among the Democratic base to give Corzine the edge in what has become an airtight contest. In a Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Poll released Sunday, Christie led Corzine by just 1 point among likely voters.

In Camden, Corzine repeatedly said his opponent is "wrong when it matters most."

Obama called Corzine an "honorable" man who has provided property tax relief and reduced the size of government.

But Christie was continuing a grueling schedule of rallies and diner visits as well. He was capping off Sunday's events with a get-out-the-vote rally in Republican-heavy Toms River. Though he can't claim White House support, Christie has been joined lately by several prominent New Jersey Republicans and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

The New York congressional race, meanwhile, has attracted an unusual amount of attention. Hoffman, a third-party candidate, experienced of surge of support and endorsements late in the race, leading Scozzafava to drop out Saturday.

The move was expected to consolidate GOP voters behind Hoffman. But on Sunday, Scozzafava backed Owens.

"I am supporting Bill Owens for Congress and urge you to do the same," she said in a written statement. "In Bill Owens, I see a sense of duty and integrity that will guide him beyond political partisanship. He will be an independent voice devoted to doing what is right for New York. Bill understands this district and its people, and when he represents us in Congress he will put our interests first."

Hoffman and Owens are competing for the 23rd Congressional District seat formerly held by Republican John McHugh, who was lured away by the Obama administration to be Army secretary.

Scozzafava was criticized by members of her party for being too moderate on social issues. However, it's unclear how much of an impact her endorsement will have. Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, downplayed the endorsement Sunday.

"There are only two candidates that remain in this race," he said in a written statement. "Only Doug Hoffman is willing to stand up to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and put the brakes on her agenda of massive government takeovers and less jobs."

And poll numbers suggest Owens would have to make significant inroads among Republican moderates to pull support away from Hoffman. A Siena Research Institute survey showed 64 percent of Scozzafava voters were self-identified Republicans -- only 19 percent identified themselves as Democrats.

Democrats, though, were clearly banking on Scozzafava to try to tilt the balance in their favor.

White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett said on ABC's "This Week" that Democrats would "love" to have the former Republican candidate back Owens.

And she criticized Hoffman's surging candidacy as a sign that the Republican Party is squeezing out moderates.

"It's rather telling when the Republican Party forces out a moderate Republican and it says, I think, a great deal about where the Republican Party is right now," she said. "I think it's becoming more and more extreme and more and more marginalized."

Senior Adviser David Axelrod echoed that point on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"It sends a clear message to moderates within that party that there's no room at the inn for them," he said.

DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., said in a statement that the developments in New York should send a "chilling message" to other moderate Republicans.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, though, said on CNN's "State of the Union" that New York represents an "unusual circumstance" and that "we want moderates in our party."

In Virginia, McDonnell and Deeds barnstormed church services Sunday morning before rousing partisan crowds in their last blitz before Tuesday's governor's election.

But Obama, who stumped for Deeds last week, is not expected to return to Virginia.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Democrats Scramble to Prevent GOP Victories in Key Races

In a coup of sorts for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the Republican candidate who just dropped out of the race for an upstate New York congressional seat endorsed her former Democratic opponent Sunday. President Obama also stumped for Gov. Jon Corzine at two New Jersey campaign events.

Gov. Jon Corzine listens to President Obama at a campaign rally Nov. 1 in Camden, N.J. (AP Photo)

President Obama and his Democratic allies pulled out the stops Sunday in a bid to prevent Republicans from sweeping the major state and local elections Tuesday.

In a coup of sorts for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the Republican candidate who just dropped out of the race for an upstate New York congressional seat endorsed her former Democratic opponent.

Dede Scozzafava's decision to back Democrat Bill Owens could help stanch the expected migration of her supporters toward Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman's campaign.

Obama also personally vouched for New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine Sunday in his tough race for re-election against Republican Chris Christie. The president traveled to two Democratic strongholds in the Garden State to urge supporters to drive up voter turnout on Tuesday just as they did for him a year ago.

"You need to work hard on Tuesday," Obama told a Camden crowd. "I need you to go back into your neighborhood. I'm going to need you to knock on doors. ... I'm going to need you to do the same thing you did last year."

But the last-minute maneuvers come ahead of a perilous election for Democrats. In the other major race, Virginia's gubernatorial election, Republican Bob McDonnell appears poised for victory over Democrat Creigh Deeds. A Richmond Times-Dispatch poll released Sunday showed McDonnell leading Deeds by double digits, which is consistent with other recent surveys.

The White House is aware Democratic losses would be spun as a referendum on Obama. The results of Tuesday's elections could also foreshadow next year's elections, when 37 governorships come up for grabs.

The Obama administration seems to view the New Jersey race as its best hope for victory, and has devoted the president's final campaign push to that race.

On Sunday, Obama attended a rally first in Camden and then in Newark, both areas where Democrats far outnumber Republicans. The strategy is to drive up turnout among the Democratic base to give Corzine the edge in what has become an airtight contest. In a Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Poll released Sunday, Christie led Corzine by just 1 point among likely voters.

In Camden, Corzine repeatedly said his opponent is "wrong when it matters most."

Obama called Corzine an "honorable" man who has provided property tax relief and reduced the size of government.

But Christie was continuing a grueling schedule of rallies and diner visits as well. He was capping off Sunday's events with a get-out-the-vote rally in Republican-heavy Toms River. Though he can't claim White House support, Christie has been joined lately by several prominent New Jersey Republicans and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

The New York congressional race, meanwhile, has attracted an unusual amount of attention. Hoffman, a third-party candidate, experienced of surge of support and endorsements late in the race, leading Scozzafava to drop out Saturday.

The move was expected to consolidate GOP voters behind Hoffman. But on Sunday, Scozzafava backed Owens.

"I am supporting Bill Owens for Congress and urge you to do the same," she said in a written statement. "In Bill Owens, I see a sense of duty and integrity that will guide him beyond political partisanship. He will be an independent voice devoted to doing what is right for New York. Bill understands this district and its people, and when he represents us in Congress he will put our interests first."

Hoffman and Owens are competing for the 23rd Congressional District seat formerly held by Republican John McHugh, who was lured away by the Obama administration to be Army secretary.

Scozzafava was criticized by members of her party for being too moderate on social issues. However, it's unclear how much of an impact her endorsement will have. Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, downplayed the endorsement Sunday.

"There are only two candidates that remain in this race," he said in a written statement. "Only Doug Hoffman is willing to stand up to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and put the brakes on her agenda of massive government takeovers and less jobs."

And poll numbers suggest Owens would have to make significant inroads among Republican moderates to pull support away from Hoffman. A Siena Research Institute survey showed 64 percent of Scozzafava voters were self-identified Republicans -- only 19 percent identified themselves as Democrats.

Democrats, though, were clearly banking on Scozzafava to try to tilt the balance in their favor.

White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett said on ABC's "This Week" that Democrats would "love" to have the former Republican candidate back Owens.

And she criticized Hoffman's surging candidacy as a sign that the Republican Party is squeezing out moderates.

"It's rather telling when the Republican Party forces out a moderate Republican and it says, I think, a great deal about where the Republican Party is right now," she said. "I think it's becoming more and more extreme and more and more marginalized."

Senior Adviser David Axelrod echoed that point on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"It sends a clear message to moderates within that party that there's no room at the inn for them," he said.

DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., said in a statement that the developments in New York should send a "chilling message" to other moderate Republicans.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, though, said on CNN's "State of the Union" that New York represents an "unusual circumstance" and that "we want moderates in our party."

In Virginia, McDonnell and Deeds barnstormed church services Sunday morning before rousing partisan crowds in their last blitz before Tuesday's governor's election.

But Obama, who stumped for Deeds last week, is not expected to return to Virginia.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Once again, it appears you post without reading as your OP title has NOTHING to do with the article. Salient point, or summation of the article being:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Once again, it appears you post without reading as your OP title has NOTHING to do with the article. Salient point, or summation of the article being:

It's a little odd you are clinging to the attempted political spin to downplay the clear desperate situation these races are in.

Or maybe you are jesting and I missed it?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

The very fact that the RINO dropout then endorsed the liberal ** only proves that she wasn't a moderate, but a liberal. Dims try to create the impression that "conservative" = extremist, but they are loathe to admit that moderate = liberal. I'm not in favor of sucking up to so-called moderates; they have no core values and will compromise their principles in a minute. They're too wishy washy to stand their ground. Conservatives are sick of Republican "moderates" like McCain and Sazzafava, who has sunk her chances to be anybody in the GOP. Moderates sell their souls to be liked by Dims, so they may as well be Dims.

Filed: Timeline

Actually, what it proves is that moderate Republicans have an issue backing radical cadidates representing the fringe on the far, far right. I hope the GOP is taking over by the fundamentalists and fanatics for the time being so that this fringle element may learn that they're not a significant political force int his country. Nah, what am I saying? Radicals could learn something?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
The very fact that the RINO dropout then endorsed the liberal ** only proves that she wasn't a moderate, but a liberal. Dims try to create the impression that "conservative" = extremist, but they are loathe to admit that moderate = liberal. I'm not in favor of sucking up to so-called moderates; they have no core values and will compromise their principles in a minute. They're too wishy washy to stand their ground. Conservatives are sick of Republican "moderates" like McCain and Sazzafava, who has sunk her chances to be anybody in the GOP. Moderates sell their souls to be liked by Dims, so they may as well be Dims.

You peddle the same garbage that Joe (aka Joe & Ana) peddles & it comes across as (at best) sour grapes.

Here's reality tootz:

Conservatives are Conservatives

Moderates are Moderates

Liberals are Liberals

The far Right (like you & Joe) simply can't comprehend the fact that your beliefs are by nature a minority opinion (I'd guess that something like 20% at most are far Right & 20% far Left). With that being said you will never have a majority unless you make alliances with those wishy-washy, scum sucking Moderates. In most cases you end up just ranting & raving & blaming "libs" for everything (which in your world means the other 80% that aren't far Right).

I see Moderates as being able to see both sides of the issue & being best equipped to arrive at a decision that benefits the greatest number of people. I'll take that over an angry, bitter extremist any day.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The US political system is the most adversarial certainly that I've seen, with no shortage of politically active yet surprisingly ignorant people shouting the odds and doing the "nyah nyah" thing across the partisan divide.

All that can be said is that you really do get the politicians you deserve.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well its not actually that difficult to debate an extremist - though they usually have the monopoly on shouting people down to avoid discussion (not unlike certain Talk Radio personalities / TV news commentators)