bobby_kvisa

Questions on Fiance Letter of Intent

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
Is this sample body sufficient for the purposes of the K1 visa? In your experience, is this example complete or are they looking for more than just this one line as intent to marry?

It really wouldn't be on the VJ download section if it weren't something that works. It is as simple as you see there. Plain, matter-of-fact and simple.

Also - does this document need to be notarized or stamped by some legal entity before it is sent out? Or do they simply want us to sign this document normally?

Does not need to be notarized.

Finally, since both the US Citizen and the Fiance will have their own personal letter of intent - I assume that:

* The US Citizen will use his permanent address in the USA and the address of his USCIS service center

* The Fiance will use her permanent foreign country address and the address of her Embassy in the foreign country

You will both do this letter of intent twice. Once with the initial I-129f petition, and again for the Embassy/Consulate interview stage. So the address' should match the addressee (the example letter shows both addresses but you'd only use one, depending on what stage you're using it for.

Thanks !

Thanks - but I am a little confused about how to setup the addresses twice.

On the first set of Letter of Intents with the I-129F - do you place BOTH the petitioner's and the beneficiary's address at the top?

If yes, I assume this will mean you place BOTH addresses on the second set of Letter of Intents as well.

If no, I assume this will mean you FIRST use US Citizen Address (on the I-129F petition package), and then you use the Fiance's foreign address with the Interview materials.

Also, if one set of Letter of Intents will be submitted at the interview stage, will it need to have an updated date? That is, can we place the date of our Engagement (which will be this coming Saturday) on all the Letter of Intents with - or will they need an updated date when the Interview stage is approaching.

It is a letter. Not a manned mission to the moon.

I presume if you can read this you know how to use a computer and a word processing prgram? Make ONE letter for YOU with YOUR address and name. Address it to the CSC if that is where you will send it. Print it. SIGN IT. Save it in your computer wherever you like. Now go back and change the name and address to your fiancee. PRINT IT. Save it in your computer. Have HER sign it.

Before you send anything to the USCIS make THREE copies of everything. One for you, one for her (YES give her a copy of everything) and one to send off just in case something is lost.

quick question - maybe i'm missing something here ...or maybe i did it and i don't remember doing it...

but i don't recall doing a letter of intent for the i-129f stage of the application that went to uscis.

i know the embassy of my fiance's country asks for it so i'm preparing that ...but i don't think i included it as part of the app for i-129f?!?!

what did i miss here?

thank you.

Lifting Conditions Journey

Sent Package: 6/14/12

NOA1: 06/15/12

NOA2 Biometrics Appt Notification: 7/12/12

Text/email alert: address changed 1/29/13

Interview:

Approval Date: 1/30/12

AOS Journey:

Sent AOS package: 03/23/10

NOA1 (AOS, EAD, AP): 03/31/10

EAD Card received: 06/14/10

AP Received: 06/14/2010

INTERVIEW: 07/07/10 @ 8:20AM

Greencard: Approved! 07/07/10

07/14/2010: AOS Welcome Letter Received

07/15/2010: AOS TEXT/EMAIL Alert Received! Post Decision Activity

K1 Journey:

NOA1 7/16/09

NOA2: 11/19/09

Embassy received: 12/07/09

Interview: 12/21/09

AP: Approved :) 12/21/09

Visa Received: 12/23/09

US Entry: 12/28/09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
quick question - maybe i'm missing something here ...or maybe i did it and i don't remember doing it...

but i don't recall doing a letter of intent for the i-129f stage of the application that went to uscis.

i know the embassy of my fiance's country asks for it so i'm preparing that ...but i don't think i included it as part of the app for i-129f?!?!

what did i miss here?

thank you.

UH OH, yeah, you should have sent that in at the beginning.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

what did i miss here?

thank you.

UH OH, yeah, you should have sent that in at the beginning.

So much for my attorney.

A letter of intent was not included in my original app.

(I only know of the letter of intent which must be included at the embassy stage)

SIGH.

Lifting Conditions Journey

Sent Package: 6/14/12

NOA1: 06/15/12

NOA2 Biometrics Appt Notification: 7/12/12

Text/email alert: address changed 1/29/13

Interview:

Approval Date: 1/30/12

AOS Journey:

Sent AOS package: 03/23/10

NOA1 (AOS, EAD, AP): 03/31/10

EAD Card received: 06/14/10

AP Received: 06/14/2010

INTERVIEW: 07/07/10 @ 8:20AM

Greencard: Approved! 07/07/10

07/14/2010: AOS Welcome Letter Received

07/15/2010: AOS TEXT/EMAIL Alert Received! Post Decision Activity

K1 Journey:

NOA1 7/16/09

NOA2: 11/19/09

Embassy received: 12/07/09

Interview: 12/21/09

AP: Approved :) 12/21/09

Visa Received: 12/23/09

US Entry: 12/28/09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think you may be going a tad overboard with the letter. I didn't put physical addresses on the letters. I wrote both letters for myself and my fiance but worded them slightly different and gave them just a brief summary of how we met. I started the letter off with a date and "To Whom It May Concern" Since its part of the I-129F I felt as though it didn't need a "Physical" address typed on it. I emailed my fiance his copy, he signed it and he faxed it back. They accepted it. Good luck to you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
WE used that exact format and had no problem. First ones are addressed to VSC or CSC. Second ones will be addressed to the Consulate.

Whose address is places onto the First ones?

Will only the petitioner's address be placed onto the Petitioner's Intent to Marry form?

Will onnly the beneficiary's address be placed onto the Beneficiary's Intent to Marry form?

Or should both versions contain BOTH the petitioner's and the beneficiary's addresses at the top?

Thanks !

As clarification - what I mean to ask is that at the very top of the example Fiance Letter of Intent it says:

" (petitioner’s / beneficiary’s address) "

I am confused by the SLASH - Does this mean EITHER the petitioner's or the beneficiary's address depending on who is signing the form ?

Or does the SLASH mean to put BOTH the petitioners and beneficiarys address?

The slash means that for the petitioner's form you use the petitioner's info and for the beneficiary's form you type the beneficiary's info.

You're obsessing too much over this but I understand you want to get it right. The exact format of this form is not a deal breaker for your petition.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

what did i miss here?

thank you.

You missed reading the I-129F instructions. Here it is from section 5:

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent; and

You'll most likely get an RFE for this omission; get an signed letter from your fiance(e) and do up yours and be ready to submit them.

Edited by baron555

Timeline

what did i miss here?

thank you.

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent; and

You'll most likely get an RFE for this omission; get an signed letter from your fiance(e) and do up yours and be ready to submit them.

And unlike your attorney, I'll give you my Friday Special and only charge you $50 for that information, which I found in less than 1 minute of searching the instructions. (They are written in plain English which may be why your attorney missed it. Yes a shot at the attorneys.)

what did i miss here?

thank you.

And unlike your attorney, I'll give you my Friday Special and only charge you $50 for that information, which I found in less than 1 minute of searching the instructions. (They are written in plain English which may be why your attorney missed it. Yes a shot at the attorneys.)

And here is a link to the instruction, which you may want to show your attorney when you go ask for a rebate.

I-129F Instructions

I did not include a letter of intent in my packet and we had no problems with our application. I submitted a letter in the format of a timeline that told the story of how we met and fell in love. I did state that we wanted to start our life together. I considered this my evidence. I found VJ after I filed and had no problems following the guidelines from USCIS. I don't remember the request for a letter but maybe I interpreted the request differently. Thanks VJ for the help and support. What would we do with out you?

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I reviewed the sample Fiance Letter of Intent on this VJ website - which essentially contains the following main body of text:

"I, (applicant’s or beneficiary’s name) , do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (petitioner’s or beneficiary’s name), and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa."

Is this sample body sufficient for the purposes of the K1 visa? In your experience, is this example complete or are they looking for more than just this one line as intent to marry?

Also - does this document need to be notarized or stamped by some legal entity before it is sent out? Or do they simply want us to sign this document normally?

Finally, since both the US Citizen and the Fiance will have their own personal letter of intent - I assume that:

* The US Citizen will use his permanent address in the USA and the address of his USCIS service center

* The Fiance will use her permanent foreign country address and the address of her Embassy in the foreign country

Thanks !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I reviewed the sample Fiance Letter of Intent on this VJ website - which essentially contains the following main body of text:

"I, (applicant’s or beneficiary’s name) , do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (petitioner’s or beneficiary’s name), and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa."

Thanks !

this is what I did when I submitted my letter of intent: I G.... and J..... do hereby state that we are legally able and willing to marry and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa. It worked becauseI just got approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I submitted our I-129F before I found Visa Journey, so I didn't have the benefit of the excellent guides.

My then fiancée and I had different ideas about what the letter of intent should be. So, I did my thing, and she did hers. Mine was a computer generated statement, much like a legal affidavit, which stated the obvious in paragraph form. My fiancée wrote out a hand written, single spaced, two page mini novel about how we met online, what we did when we met in person, how important I was in her life, and how much she loved me.

I got a kick out of her letter, it was really sweet, especially considering that English is not her first language. I guess neither way was right or wrong. Both letters made it through the USCIS and the Embassy without comment or question. The bottom line is that as long as you are honest, you probably can't go wrong here.

Good Luck!

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.