Peepod

K-129F

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, so I'd just like to say hi and a big thanks for all the information that is available on the website. It really has helped me understand the process much clearer (I think :whistle:).

Before I continue, I'll give a little background on my situation. I'm from the UK and my fiancée is from the US. While on a three month sabbatical from work, I met my fiance in New York on Christmas Day a few years back. Since then we've been doing the usual calling and skyping (sometimes till silly o'clock in the morning for me). We've been back and forward a few times to visit each other; I had some trouble entering the US last time due to the frequency of my visits, however after secondary interview I was admitted - phew! Last month, when my fiancee visited me in the UK, I asked her to marry me and she said......YES! :star::dance::thumbs: So here we are, about to embark on the visa petition journey.

Like a number of filers, my fiancée and I have had such a difficult time in deciding what would be the best angle of approach for us. After much to-ing and fro-ing from K-129F Fiancé Petition to the I-130 Spouse Petition, I think we have finally decided on the K-129F Fiancé petition. Judging by the experiences of others, it looks like our application will take in the region of 8, looooooooooong months :blink: .

So, I'm meticulously preparing the K-129F Fiancé Visa Petition now, and hope to have it sent off quick smart. I hear that the Vermont Office is shifting towards a blitz on the K-129F visa, so hopefully we will have a quick response time too. :dance:

Can I just clarify a few things on the process:

- Can I still come to visit my fiancée in the US from the UK on the Visa Waiver Programme, while a K-129F Visa Petition has been filed?

- Once I obtain the K-129F Visa, we will not be allowed to go aboad to get married? We must get married in the US, right?

- Will it affect/harm my application if I state my parents address for my place of residency? I am in the process of renting out my property and will move back in with them until my petition is approved.

- I hear the process can be speeded up by paying of the fee online. Is this possible to do with the K-129F Fiancé Petition?

Thanks once again to all who contribute, and good luck to all fellow filers, especially October filers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

HI and welcome to VJ. You're in the right place

Just to clarify your terminology, the K1 is the visa, the I-129F is the form your fiance will file to petition for the K-1 visa. There is no K-129F.

You can still go and visit, length and admittance into the US is up to the CBP at the port of entry.

Once you are admitted into the US on the K-1 visa, you MUST marry in the US within 90 days of entering

If you are living with your parents when you file, then list it. NO problems living with your parents

Good luck, I hope you have a speedy journey

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

:blush: Well spotted, obviously I put that in as a test to see who was paying attention :star:

Thanks for your responses to my questions, K-1 visa, I-129F petition - gotcha!

Is there anyway for me to change the title of my post to I-129F as opposed to K-129F?

Edited by Peepod

Timeline
Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, so I'd just like to say hi and a big thanks for all the information that is available on the website. It really has helped me understand the process much clearer (I think :whistle:).

Before I continue, I'll give a little background on my situation. I'm from the UK and my fiancée is from the US. While on a three month sabbatical from work, I met my fiance in New York on Christmas Day a few years back. Since then we've been doing the usual calling and skyping (sometimes till silly o'clock in the morning for me). We've been back and forward a few times to visit each other; I had some trouble entering the US last time due to the frequency of my visits, however after secondary interview I was admitted - phew! Last month, when my fiancee visited me in the UK, I asked her to marry me and she said......YES! :star::dance::thumbs: So here we are, about to embark on the visa petition journey.

Like a number of filers, my fiancée and I have had such a difficult time in deciding what would be the best angle of approach for us. After much to-ing and fro-ing from K-129F Fiancé Petition to the I-130 Spouse Petition, I think we have finally decided on the K-129F Fiancé petition. Judging by the experiences of others, it looks like our application will take in the region of 8, looooooooooong months :blink: .

So, I'm meticulously preparing the K-129F Fiancé Visa Petition now, and hope to have it sent off quick smart. I hear that the Vermont Office is shifting towards a blitz on the K-129F visa, so hopefully we will have a quick response time too. :dance:

- Can I still come to visit my fiancée in the US from the UK on the Visa Waiver Programme, while a K-129F Visa Petition has been filed? Yes you can. Just make sure you have PLENTY of prove to ties back here in the UK. Rental agreement, letter form work stating when they expect you back, return ticket (although I don't think this is much good on it's own) that sort of thing

- Once I obtain the K-129F Visa, we will not be allowed to go abroad to get married? We must get married in the US, right? K1 Fiance Visa - You HAVE to get married in the US

- Will it affect/harm my application if I state my parents address for my place of residency? I am in the process of renting out my property and will move back in with them until my petition is approved. Not at all

- I hear the process can be speeded up by paying of the fee online. Is this possible to do with the K-129F Fiancé Petition? I'm not aware of this, or for that matter, any other way to 'speed up' the process. I think the best way to make sure it doesn't take longer than they has to, is to do your homework and have PLENTY of evidence to show them. Dot your i's, cross your t's and then go back to check them again!!

Thanks once again to all who contribute, and good luck to all fellow filers, especially October filers!

Out of interest, when you say you had some trouble entering the US last time due to the frequency of your visits. How frequent were they? I'm just asking as I'm also traveling to the states a fair bit now, and wondering how frequent, is TOO frequent. Thanks!!

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just curious, why are you preparing the I-129F petition? Your fiance is the one who has to sign the petition and submit evidence for it. The petition is her end of the process - the visa application at the US embassy is your part. The only things you should be preparing for the petition submission are your G-325A biographical data form, and your signed letter of intent.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Just curious, why are you preparing the I-129F petition? Your fiance is the one who has to sign the petition and submit evidence for it. The petition is her end of the process - the visa application at the US embassy is your part. The only things you should be preparing for the petition submission are your G-325A biographical data form, and your signed letter of intent.

You are correct when you say she has to file, however, there's nothing to stop me preparing the forms on her behalf. Teamwork you see! Once I have everything prepared, I'll send the information over to her and she can add the things she need to add and then file. She will still have to sign and date everything and, ofcourse, include the cheque for payment. Do you forsee any issues with this approach?

Timeline
Hi everybody,

- Can I still come to visit my fiancée in the US from the UK on the Visa Waiver Programme, while a K-129F Visa Petition has been filed? Yes you can. Just make sure you have PLENTY of prove to ties back here in the UK. Rental agreement, letter form work stating when they expect you back, return ticket (although I don't think this is much good on it's own) that sort of thing

- Once I obtain the K-129F Visa, we will not be allowed to go abroad to get married? We must get married in the US, right? K1 Fiance Visa - You HAVE to get married in the US

- Will it affect/harm my application if I state my parents address for my place of residency? I am in the process of renting out my property and will move back in with them until my petition is approved. Not at all

- I hear the process can be speeded up by paying of the fee online. Is this possible to do with the K-129F Fiancé Petition? I'm not aware of this, or for that matter, any other way to 'speed up' the process. I think the best way to make sure it doesn't take longer than they has to, is to do your homework and have PLENTY of evidence to show them. Dot your i's, cross your t's and then go back to check them again!!

Out of interest, when you say you had some trouble entering the US last time due to the frequency of your visits. How frequent were they? I'm just asking as I'm also traveling to the states a fair bit now, and wondering how frequent, is TOO frequent. Thanks!!

Not that often to be honest. Dates and durations as follows:

- November 2008 (12 days)

- December 2009 (14 days)

- March 2009 (12 days)

- April 2009 (10 days)

- June 2009 (31 days) [this is where I was sent for seconday interview]

The immigration official advised me to spend a little more time outside the country than inside. I advised him I was planning to return again around November 2009 and he said that shouldn't be a problem. However, it will be in my mind next time I travel to the US :wacko:

Does the frequency / duration seem excessive to anyone?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You are correct when you say she has to file, however, there's nothing to stop me preparing the forms on her behalf. Teamwork you see! Once I have everything prepared, I'll send the information over to her and she can add the things she need to add and then file. She will still have to sign and date everything and, ofcourse, include the cheque for payment. Do you forsee any issues with this approach?

No problem. As I said, just curious! :)

Not that often to be honest. Dates and durations as follows:

- November 2008 (12 days)

- December 2009 (14 days)

- March 2009 (12 days)

- April 2009 (10 days)

- June 2009 (31 days) [this is where I was sent for seconday interview]

The immigration official advised me to spend a little more time outside the country than inside. I advised him I was planning to return again around November 2009 and he said that shouldn't be a problem. However, it will be in my mind next time I travel to the US :wacko:

Does the frequency / duration seem excessive to anyone?

Doesn't really matter what we think. Obviously, the CBP officer thought it was too often. They have the discretion to make that decision. But yes, 5 trips in 7 months does seem excessive for a casual visitor. When you are able to visit that often the CBP is going to have suspicions about just how strong your ties are with your home country that would compel you to return at the end of your visit. A tourist entering on the Visa Waiver Program can often gain entry with nothing more than a round trip ticket and a passport. Once you have a K1 visa petition submitted, you can expect the CBP will want to see evidence of strong ties to your home country before granting you entry.

There are people on this forum who are only able to see their fiancee once or twice a year who are going to be insanely jealous of you. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I'm filling out my petition now and have a quick question on the G-325A, Biographic Information form....

1. Why do they provide forms where the answer (date) won't fit? I am trying to enter date of births for parents and I can only fit six digits. So for example I could fit 01/01/60 but not 01/01/1960. Should i a) use the short date format (I guess not when the instructions clearly state mm/dd/yyyy), or B) hand write this information in ink?

2. For similar reasons to the above, is it ok to use abbreviations for city, for example Phil, PA. Or again, should I hand write Philadelphia, PA to be complete?

Sorry for the pedantic question, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry if the form is rejected due to the above. Many thanks in advance.

I don't know why the date isn't fitting. Perhaps you're supposed to not use any slashes or hyphens? Try checking some of the example forms (they can be found in the Guides). They were a Godsend to us when we did our K1 paperwork. Double check EVERYTHING. Don't leave blanks.

You should be able to write the entire city name in. We used the whole name (Swindon, London, Middleboro) just fine.

Your visits do seem a bit frequent to me. Especially towards the end when you doing every month in and out. I had some trouble entering the country once after spening 6 weeks in the US, returning to the UK for 5 weeks and then trying to re-enter. They let me in, but it was tough. I had to show lots of evidence that I was leaving afterwards.

Edited by Gemmie

I don't know why the date isn't fitting. Perhaps you're supposed to not use any slashes or hyphens? Try checking some of the example forms (they can be found in the Guides). They were a Godsend to us when we did our K1 paperwork. Double check EVERYTHING. Don't leave blanks.

You should be able to write the entire city name in. We used the whole name (Swindon, London, Middleboro) just fine.

Your visits do seem a bit frequent to me. Especially towards the end when you doing every month in and out. I had some trouble entering the country once after spening 6 weeks in the US, returning to the UK for 5 weeks and then trying to re-enter. They let me in, but it was tough. I had to show lots of evidence that I was leaving afterwards.

Some dates don't fit on the NEW form. Until USCIS fixes it people have been just putting 2 numerals for the year.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Some dates don't fit on the NEW form. Until USCIS fixes it people have been just putting 2 numerals for the year.

I had the same problem, and I know a few other people have too. The form will not accept to digits for the year. I printed out the form and hand wrote the information in.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey
07/09/08 - Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.
06/04/09 - 2nd Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

04/29/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet
07/14/2010 - AOS Approved!
07/24/2010 - Green Card in Hand!

04/26/2012 - Mailed ROC Packet
01/03/2012- ROC Approved

01/10/2013 - 10 year Green Card in Hand

04/14/2102 - Mailed N400 Packet

05/13/2013 - Biometrics
08/19/2013 - Citizenship interview

09/18/2013 - Oath Cermony.

It's finally all over! He's a citizen :)

I'm filling out my petition now and have a quick question on the G-325A, Biographic Information form....

1. Why do they provide forms where the answer (date) won't fit? I am trying to enter date of births for parents and I can only fit six digits. So for example I could fit 01/01/60 but not 01/01/1960. Should i a) use the short date format (I guess not when the instructions clearly state mm/dd/yyyy), or B) hand write this information in ink?

2. For similar reasons to the above, is it ok to use abbreviations for city, for example Phil, PA. Or again, should I hand write Philadelphia, PA to be complete?

Sorry for the pedantic question, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry if the form is rejected due to the above. Many thanks in advance.

1. When in doubt, or when something just isn't working right, as in this case, I strongly suggest printing it out with a blank and filling in the information by hand with a black pen. Just make sure your handwriting is legible :D You could fill out the entire form by hand if you wanted to, there's no penalty!

2. Again, handwriting is probably the way to go here. If the abbreviation is commonly accepted (such as the PA for Pennsylvania), then abbreviate, but if it is not commonly accepted (like Phil for Philadelphia), just hand write it. I ended up writing West Midlands a number of times on our paperwork before I filed our I-129F!

Oh yeah, and if you print out the form and fill in the blanks by hand, don't forget to double, triple, and quadruple check that you didn't leave anything out! :thumbs:

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.