SimoAndYvette

The First Year...

32 posts in this topic

Well, you should explain to your husband about the missing sock theory. It's been almost three years since my husband has been here and it still amazes him that two socks go in and sometimes only one makes it through...lol

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I kinda miss spoke for us, we will be married 2 years in Nov but he has just been here since the end of last January

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Lot's of good comments here. :thumbs:

Hicham and I will be married 9 years next year! Whew!!!!! He'll have been home 2 years next March. Even though we lived together for a couple of years before he got stuck in Morocco, we still had an adjustment phase when he came back. And quite honestly, the first year was HELL!!!! Things were different as well since we had a son that changed the dynamics of our relationship.

I can tell a BIG difference now approaching the 2 year mark. We've also had our moments that our relationship was at the breaking point. BUT, we have struggled through trying to communicate better and get better and better at it everyday.

The biggest things that I've learned are that:

1) Language is STILL a barrier. Even though Hicham's English is exceptional, there are still words that he might not understand or that have a different meaning to him. This can result in disagreements, but again, communicate through it.

2) Being away from their family is EXTREMELY difficult. I would venture to say that many MENA SOs are very tight with their family and it's hard to be so far away. Hicham has certain times that he calls his family each week and I make sure he doesn't have interruptions.

3) Don't expect them to know what you want from them. When it comes to housework, jobs....whatever! They can't read your minds. Let them know what your expectations are.

Different things work for different people, this is just what has worked for us!

Good luck to everyone trying to find their way through this journey! (F)

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Timeline

:luv: Thanks, love!

:thumbs:

I appreciate your honesty, Sara. We've had those not sure we're gonna make it moments, too. We've been together 5 yrs, married nearly 4. We still have ups and downs, but don't all marriages? Or at least most? I thought the "visa journey" was the worst but never expected that living day to day life would actually be the most difficult. I laugh now when I remember myself back in those "vj" days. What a wuss I was! :D

I have no real advice to give as what works for us may not work for anyone else. I will say that an open line of communication is real important. Also, lots of understanding on both ends. Some common interests help. I know this is TMI but an active/exciting sex life doesn't hurt either.

I'm not going to list out all our ups and downs but I am with Moody on this one, it was more like 2 years for us to settle in and work out the kinks. the rough times were rough, I wont sugar coat it, and I wasnt always sure we would make it, but right now we are one month away from our 5th anniversary. So those of you who find the adjustment period MUCH harder than you expected, take heart :)

I agree :thumbs: We've been together almost 4 years and he has been here 1.5 years. It has been total work for both of us but I agree with you Astarte...you make a lot of sense.

Filed: Timeline

Yeah I'm with you about the mind reading thing. I used to sit and stew because Moh wasn't helping out enough and I *thought* he should be thoughtful enough to just pitch in without asking. Yeah, no. My husband can be thoughtful but I have to put the bug in his head about what I want first.

Here's a shocker for all of you, I'm not always easy to live with. I can be selfish about my own space. It took awhile for me to get back into sharing my home with a man again. I want things done when I want and how I want and many of our problems were due to me not wanting to let go a little. So the adjustment phase troubles were mostly due to two ppl who had to learn to live with each other and adjust themselves accordingly.

Hicham and I will be married 9 years next year! Whew!!!!! He'll have been home 2 years next March. Even though we lived together for a couple of years before he got stuck in Morocco, we still had an adjustment phase when he came back. And quite honestly, the first year was HELL!!!! Things were different as well since we had a son that changed the dynamics of our relationship.

I can tell a BIG difference now approaching the 2 year mark. We've also had our moments that our relationship was at the breaking point. BUT, we have struggled through trying to communicate better and get better and better at it everyday.

1) Language is STILL a barrier. Even though Hicham's English is exceptional, there are still words that he might not understand or that have a different meaning to him. This can result in disagreements, but again, communicate through it.

2) Being away from their family is EXTREMELY difficult. I would venture to say that many MENA SOs are very tight with their family and it's hard to be so far away. Hicham has certain times that he calls his family each week and I make sure he doesn't have interruptions.

3) Don't expect them to know what you want from them. When it comes to housework, jobs....whatever! They can't read your minds. Let them know what your expectations are.

Different things work for different people, this is just what has worked for us!

Edited by Astarte

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Bite your tongue, sugar. I just dont beleive that for a minute

:P

Yeah I'm with you about the mind reading thing. I used to sit and stew because Moh wasn't helping out enough and I *thought* he should be thoughtful enough to just pitch in without asking. Yeah, no. My husband can be thoughtful but I have to put the bug in his head about what I want first.

Here's a shocker for all of you, I'm not always easy to live with. I can be selfish about my own space. It took awhile for me to get back into sharing my home with a man again. I want things done when I want and how I want and many of our problems were due to me not wanting to let go a little. So the adjustment phase troubles were mostly due to two ppl who had to learn to live with each other and adjust themselves accordingly.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Better than living with Len. She won't do the dishes... <_<

Our first year was rough too. And we still have our ups and downs after he has been here almost 3 years. We are both stubborn, so an extra challenge. We are having our 5 year anniversary next week, and yes we are still very much in love. There is always give and take to a marriage. Some marriages are easier than others. Cross culture marriages are almost always going to bring in a new set of difficulties. The key is patience and lots of communication. You're doing great so far! :thumbs:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just wanted to say that I enjoy all of the advice and stories that everyone is posting. This really gives me a heads up of what to be mindful of and expect once Aziz gets here in almost 3 weeks. I am so scared and not sure how to handle myself, but I will definitely be looking forward to posting about it a year from now.

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yah and dont look at it for companionship and 50/50

look at it as long term international adoption of say 13 yo boy

likes girls, computers, video games, holly wood , fame and fortune.

then you be allright

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:lol:

In some cases, I'd say you're spot on with that observation.

then you be allright

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

you know what i say, whatever floats grandmas boat. It is good alternative to empty nest syndrome. however plan on sharing wages and social security to its fullest extent.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
:lol:

In some cases, I'd say you're spot on with that observation.

then you be allright

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You're simply the best!

you know what i say, whatever floats grandmas boat. It is good alternative to empty nest syndrome. however plan on sharing wages and social security to its fullest extent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.