12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

My current wife entered the country on a K Visa with her maiden name. After the marriage, she took my last name. Does any one else have a similar experience. We went to the DMV as soon as we got her EAD card and the DMV folks told us that the SAVE system shows a different name than what her EAD card. Turns out, it was the maiden name. We have applied for her SSN, EAD, GC all in her married name.

We then went to a DMV office abt 50 miles from where we live and filed the application for SAVE validation. A couple of weeks later we got a letter stating that there are no issues w/ the name. We wanted to wait till we get the permanent card and went to the DMV office after that...this time w/ the permanent card. This time around, the DMV folks raised the same objection...however, since we had the previous letter, they allowed us to get learners permit.

Now, has someone else faced this issue w/ SAVE and name change after marriage?

Will this create a problem, if we leave the country and at the POE immigration w/ her permanent card?

How do we actually get it fixed in the "system," whatever system means?

Thanks.

9/19/2008 - Mailed I-129F by USPS Priority

9/22 - Mail reached USCIS - CSC

9/23 - Check Cashed

9/23 - NOA1 Notice Date (now wait and pray that NOA2 should come soon!!)

9/27 - NOA1 received by mail

9/29 - Touched (probably to correct typos)

9/30 - Touched

1/14/2009 - NOA2 approved

1/20 - NOA2 hard copy received

1/22 - NVC received petition

1/26 - NVC sent petition to Embassy

1/29 - Received NVC Hard copy

1/30 - Embassy received petition

2/3 - Received P3 from Embassy

2/3 - P3 sent by Courier from India

2/10 - Confirmed that P3 is in embassy's system (called embassy, DOS)

2/23 - Called DOS - Got interview date verbally

3/9 - Medicals Completed

3/31 - Interview Successful

4/3 - Received Visa

4/20 - Arrival

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
\

Will this create a problem, if we leave the country and at the POE immigration w/ her permanent card?

Thanks.

When leaving/entering the country it shouldn't be a problem as long as she carriages her marriage certificate.

When my wife travels outside the usa, we buy the plane ticket in her maiden name because her passport is still in her maiden name, and is also easier to go through the TSA agents that way.

When returning to the usa, at the exiting country she shows her passport that has her maiden name, along with the marriage certificate that shows her new name, and she also shows the greencard that has the married name.

Upon entering the usa, she only shows the greencard. They could ask for the passport and marriage certificate, but that has not happened.

Also, if the DMV showed her maiden name, why didn't you show the marriage certificate to prove that she changed her name?

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Of course, we showed that and it also proved that we were married. In fact her SSN is in her married name and we went with the SSN. EAD is in her married name. We even went and got it changed at the SAVE system - which came after two weeks indicating all clear. Still when we went with the permanent card, they said, there was a discrepancy...It's annoying...

\

Thanks.

When leaving/entering the country it shouldn't be a problem as long as she carriages her marriage certificate.

When my wife travels outside the usa, we buy the plane ticket in her maiden name because her passport is still in her maiden name, and is also easier to go through the TSA agents that way.

When returning to the usa, at the exiting country she shows her passport that has her maiden name, along with the marriage certificate that shows her new name, and she also shows the greencard that has the married name.

Upon entering the usa, she only shows the greencard. They could ask for the passport and marriage certificate, but that has not happened.

Also, if the DMV showed her maiden name, why didn't you show the marriage certificate to prove that she changed her name?

9/19/2008 - Mailed I-129F by USPS Priority

9/22 - Mail reached USCIS - CSC

9/23 - Check Cashed

9/23 - NOA1 Notice Date (now wait and pray that NOA2 should come soon!!)

9/27 - NOA1 received by mail

9/29 - Touched (probably to correct typos)

9/30 - Touched

1/14/2009 - NOA2 approved

1/20 - NOA2 hard copy received

1/22 - NVC received petition

1/26 - NVC sent petition to Embassy

1/29 - Received NVC Hard copy

1/30 - Embassy received petition

2/3 - Received P3 from Embassy

2/3 - P3 sent by Courier from India

2/10 - Confirmed that P3 is in embassy's system (called embassy, DOS)

2/23 - Called DOS - Got interview date verbally

3/9 - Medicals Completed

3/31 - Interview Successful

4/3 - Received Visa

4/20 - Arrival

• 1 month later...

how do you have the name changed with the SAVE system? and where do you get that done?

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all,

My current wife entered the country on a K Visa with her maiden name. After the marriage, she took my last name. Does any one else have a similar experience. We went to the DMV as soon as we got her EAD card and the DMV folks told us that the SAVE system shows a different name than what her EAD card. Turns out, it was the maiden name. We have applied for her SSN, EAD, GC all in her married name.

We then went to a DMV office abt 50 miles from where we live and filed the application for SAVE validation. A couple of weeks later we got a letter stating that there are no issues w/ the name. We wanted to wait till we get the permanent card and went to the DMV office after that...this time w/ the permanent card. This time around, the DMV folks raised the same objection...however, since we had the previous letter, they allowed us to get learners permit.

Thanks.

The "system" that they were talking about is the homeland security. Eventhough the GC that has been issued to her has her married last name on it, her name in homeland security system has not been changed yet. DMV, SSN, and homeland security are all connected to each other, they can verify with each other if the person applying is legally staying here.

Same thing that happened to me, I had my SSN, EAD and GC but they they didn't issue me at first, they showed me a print out of my file in DHS still with my maiden name on it. They let me take the test after 2 visits to DMV, and after I insisted that what is the use of all these identification cards DHS has given if they will not honor it.

Do not worry about traveling abroad, just bring your card along with you and better yet the letter that came with it and the welcome letter to the US as well :P

We can't fix the system, only the DHS people are the ones that can update our names.

God bless you guys!

Edited by josedetshane

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Hello all,

Thanks.

The "system" that they were talking about is the homeland security. Eventhough the GC that has been issued to her has her married last name on it, her name in homeland security system has not been changed yet. DMV, SSN, and homeland security are all connected to each other, they can verify with each other if the person applying is legally staying here.

Same thing that happened to me, I had my SSN, EAD and GC but they they didn't issue me at first, they showed me a print out of my file in DHS still with my maiden name on it. They let me take the test after 2 visits to DMV, and after I insisted that what is the use of all these identification cards DHS has given if they will not honor it.

Do not worry about traveling abroad, just bring your card along with you and better yet the letter that came with it and the welcome letter to the US as well :P

We can't fix the system, only the DHS people are the ones that can update our names.

God bless you guys!

I am having the same problem with DMV right now, that they want to cancel my license because they claim that they found evidence that I am not lawfully staying here. All my evidence came from DHS, but they keep telling that their SYSTEM does not show I am lawful. I am running out of an option to fight with them. How did you convince DMV? Now I am fighting against head quater, have our congressman involved...waiting for how their negotiation goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The EXACT same thing happened to me. Name change issues as well. It's been 4 weeks and I'm still waiting on my SAVE letter. According to the officer at my interview two weeks ago, when they issue my Green Card the name should be changed in "the system" and he said he would make a note for them to do so. I'm not sure if this actually happened, and I'm reluctant to try to go back down to the DMV with my Green Card but without the letter, despite what the immigrations officer told me. He also told me that they should have issued the license using my marriage license as prof of identity, but that I ended up with an individual who didn't completely understand the rules. I'm not sure who is right here: the DMV of the interviewing officer. I'm growing impatient.

Dilbert- Are you in Denver by any chance? Denver does this to A LOT of immigrants. I know of two others who have had the same problem, for name issues as well. When I went down to the SAVE office in Lakewood people were lined up out the door. I ended up using the office down in Pueblo, as I would rather drive 2 hours than wait in an office for 5.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

I hear you. DMV is ordering me to surrender my license (which once issued) and accusing me of providing faulse documents. I guess that I now only have EAD, they only see me as what my maiden name's immigration status. I dont know how to fight with the SYSTEM. They dont even give me a chance show my evidence...they only trust what they call the SYSTEM. Now, I have my congressman reviewed my proof that I am lawfully waiting for my greencard and trying to convince DMV that they should restore my right. This is so stressfull, being accused of something that I did not do.

I will update if my problem resolves, hopefully yours too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello all,

Thanks.

SAVE records her entrance in her name as in her passport. You should bring a copy of your marriage license and EAD to the DMV and asked for tranined employee. Has anyone else experienced what happens when they encounter untrained employees in government offices? YES

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Hello all,

Thanks.

SAVE records her entrance in her name as in her passport. You should bring a copy of your marriage license and EAD to the DMV and asked for tranined employee. Has anyone else experienced what happens when they encounter untrained employees in government offices? YES

If SAVE records my entrance as my immigration status, I am definately out of visa on their record because my K-1 expired

a long time ago. I hope it will be fixed...

DMV is

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I hear you. DMV is ordering me to surrender my license (which once issued) and accusing me of providing faulse documents. I guess that I now only have EAD, they only see me as what my maiden name's immigration status. I dont know how to fight with the SYSTEM. They dont even give me a chance show my evidence...they only trust what they call the SYSTEM. Now, I have my congressman reviewed my proof that I am lawfully waiting for my greencard and trying to convince DMV that they should restore my right. This is so stressfull, being accused of something that I did not do.

I will update if my problem resolves, hopefully yours too.

So, according to the DMV the "system" indicates you are out of status here in the US? And they want to revoke your US license? Wow, what a mess. What have you done to remedy the situation? Did you try to go down to the DMV with evidence of your status? Not sure if that would help, if it they would listen, but it may be worth a try if you have not already done so. Hopefully you get it straitened out, I wish you the best.

Hello all,

Thanks.

In my case I went to a different DMV and spoke to the supervisor on duty and she told me the same thing. They refused to process me. Unfortunately I think even she was unaware of the correct procedures, but as she put it, once they "flag" my name in the database they cannot or will not even attempt to help me without the proper notification from SAVE.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

Yes. It seems that they are making irrational accusation that I am an ilegal alien who obtained a license with false documents. Can you believe it?

Now congressman's office is trying to talk sense with them. They are on my side.The worst case senario, I might have to apeal my case to the judge, and the judge will order DMV to restore my right to have a license. I cannot belive that they can make such a mistake like this...arent they afraid of being sued for mistreating legal resident? After following all legal steps to be with my husband...it has been two years since I had to leave him for K-1. Now we are finally legally together, trying to settle down... how could the government treat us like this? This is such a disappointment. :crying:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.