yehaww

Confused about forms sent to fiance

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I've submitted all my forms for a K1 fiance visa. They were approved and my fiance in Sweden has received her packet of forms, the DS-230, DS-156 and 156k. But we're a little confused. The forms appear to be something that should be filled out AFTER marriage. There are references to "spouse" everywhere. They are asking for "date of marriage". So my questions are:

Form DS 230:

question #14: Name of Spouse - Should she just enter my name and info even though we are only engaged?

question #18: Date of marriage - Do we just put N/A? Or put the date we intend to marry?(we haven't decided that date yet)

questions #19-28 - These are asking for information on Father and Mother, directly after asking for her "spouse" information. Are they asking for my mother and father's info, or hers? I assume it's her parent's info, but the placement on the question is such that I want to make sure they aren't asking for my mother and father's info.

Form DS 156:

There are more spouse questions here like #18 and 19 spouse name and DOB. Just put N/A or my info?

#26 How long do you intend to stay in the US? Indefinitely?

#27 What is the purpose of your trip? Marriage?

#28 Who will pay for your trip? We will both be paying for the expenses, should we just put both of our names?

#29 Have you ever been to the US? She has been here multiple times, but there is only a small box, do we attach a separate sheet?

#30 Have you ever been issued a US Visa? She has always come on the visa waiver program, so should she just write "visa waiver"?

#31 Do you intend to work in the US? She does, but we don't know what sort of job she will be able to find. Just write "Unknown"?

Form 156k:

They state that "The Following Documents should be attached in order to apply for a fiance nonimmigrant visa": Birth certificate, Evidence of Engagement to your fiance and Spousal support document. Her packet from the American Consulate in Stockholm came with instructions stating that these documents wouldn't be needed till her interview, after she submitted the 230 and 156 and 156k forms. But now I see that they are asking for these documents now. Is this the case?

How do we show evidence of Engagement? We never bought rings or anything. Should she just include a renewed "letter of intent", like we wrote for the original packet? I've read on this site that some people say that these forms aren't necessary and that a Consulates instructions trump what is listed on the forms. My concern is that I'm wanting to wait about a month to send her my affadavit of support because I'm getting off of disability next week and getting a job and want to have some paystubs to send. But we're wanting to get the process rolling by sending in the forms. I realize I'm asking a lot of questions but I would be very grateful for any help here.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Sweden

03-01-2007 - Met at a bar one weekend when I was working in Sweden

Continued to keep in touch

06-12-2007 - Came to US for first visit

She's been here 4 times, I've been there three times and we've traveled together to Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Spain and Hungary

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

05-19-2009 - check cashed

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

09-13-2009 - Approval here in US, Stage 2 Packet received by fiance in Sweden

forgot exact dates but:

02-25-2010 - Interview - Passed

03-05-2010 - Visa arrived in mail

06-20-2010 - Fiance arrives from Sweden

07-23-2010 - Married in Venice, CA

09-07-2010 - Sent I-485 Packet with work permit request

10-23-2010 - Received Work Permit

11-30-2010 - Interviewed and approved for 2 year conditional Green Card

Have you taken a look at the "Example Forms" we have here on the site at the top?

They helped me fill in those parts. Take a look at those ones, they should help you.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I've submitted all my forms for a K1 fiance visa. They were approved and my fiance in Sweden has received her packet of forms, the DS-230, DS-156 and 156k. But we're a little confused. The forms appear to be something that should be filled out AFTER marriage. There are references to "spouse" everywhere. They are asking for "date of marriage". So my questions are:

Form DS 230:

question #14: Name of Spouse - Should she just enter my name and info even though we are only engaged?

question #18: Date of marriage - Do we just put N/A? Or put the date we intend to marry?(we haven't decided that date yet)

questions #19-28 - These are asking for information on Father and Mother, directly after asking for her "spouse" information. Are they asking for my mother and father's info, or hers? I assume it's her parent's info, but the placement on the question is such that I want to make sure they aren't asking for my mother and father's info.

Form DS 156:

There are more spouse questions here like #18 and 19 spouse name and DOB. Just put N/A or my info?

#28 Who will pay for your trip? We will both be paying for the expenses, should we just put both of our names?

#29 Have you ever been to the US? She has been here multiple times, but there is only a small box, do we attach a separate sheet?

#30 Have you ever been issued a US Visa? She has always come on the visa waiver program, so should she just write "visa waiver"?

#31 Do you intend to work in the US? She does, but we don't know what sort of job she will be able to find. Just write "Unknown"?

Form 156k:

They state that "The Following Documents should be attached in order to apply for a fiance nonimmigrant visa": Birth certificate, Evidence of Engagement to your fiance and Spousal support document. Her packet from the American Consulate in Stockholm came with instructions stating that these documents wouldn't be needed till her interview, after she submitted the 230 and 156 and 156k forms. But now I see that they are asking for these documents now. Is this the case?

How do we show evidence of Engagement? We never bought rings or anything. Should she just include a renewed "letter of intent", like we wrote for the original packet? I've read on this site that some people say that these forms aren't necessary and that a Consulates instructions trump what is listed on the forms. My concern is that I'm wanting to wait about a month to send her my affadavit of support because I'm getting off of disability next week and getting a job and want to have some paystubs to send. But we're wanting to get the process rolling by sending in the forms. I realize I'm asking a lot of questions but I would be very grateful for any help here.

Do not be confused; whatever apply to you and your fiance should be answered correctly; if it does not apply put N/A. Re the DS230 form, the info should be for the intending immigrant. If you are not married then put N/A. For the DS156, put the type of visa; also put the last time your fiance entered the US.

JNR

Timeline
Have you taken a look at the "Example Forms" we have here on the site at the top?

They helped me fill in those parts. Take a look at those ones, they should help you.

AH, no I hadn't seen that. I've been searching posts and there is so much information that ALMOST helps, but not quite what I need. But the example forms look helpful, thanks for pointing that out. I will take a look at them right now and adjust my post as I answer my own questions :blush:

Thanks.

She's been here 4 times, I've been there three times and we've traveled together to Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Spain and Hungary

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Form DS 230:

Form DS 156:

Form 156k:

Form DS 230:

question #14: Name of Spouse - (none)

question #18: Date of marriage - (n/a)

questions #19-28 - They are asking for your fiances parental information

Form DS 156:

There are more spouse questions here like #18 and 19 spouse name and DOB. Just put N/A

#26 How long do you intend to stay in the US? (K1 Visa - Applying for permanent residence following marriage)

#27 What is the purpose of your trip? (K1- Visa - marriage)

#28 Who will pay for your trip? Put one name, yours or his... best to keep it short

#29 Have you ever been to the US? Attach a seperate sheet, saying "Suppliment for form DS-156 Question 29: Have you every been in the U.S. And give same information its requestion on the form. Make sure you sign the bottom of the attachment.

#30 Have you ever been issued a US Visa? Unsure

#31 Do you intend to work in the US? It states "if yes, give address of employer", but it sounds lame putting 'no'. You can put yes and in the box "Intend to work after receiving work permit'

Form 156k:

They state that "The Following Documents should be attached in order to apply for a fiance nonimmigrant visa": Birth certificate, Evidence of Engagement to your fiance and Spousal support document. Her packet from the American Consulate in Stockholm came with instructions stating that these documents wouldn't be needed till her interview, after she submitted the 230 and 156 and 156k forms. But now I see that they are asking for these documents now. Is this the case? Yes, get those douments and have them ready for the interview.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

Form DS 230:

Ok I see that any line that makes mention of "spouse", I should just put N/A

This will be info on my fiance's family

Form DS 156:

N/A

Permanently

Marriage and relocate to U.S.

Myself

See attached Supplement to form DS 156

Visited Multiple times on Visa Waiver Program

Yes, with Work Authorization, employer unknown

Form 156k:

I think I've answered most of the questions about, please chime in if you see anything in bold that doesn't look like a proper answer.

I'm still confused about whether or not I should include the forms asked for or just ignore that request as I've read in other posts. Do I follow the consulate's instructions or the form's instructions?

As for the engagement thing, we have all the info and pictures we originally submitted for the K1 packet. We have more photos, phone records and some e-mail and chats to prove a continued relationship, but I don't think any of that would prove the specific act of engagement. We didn't make a big deal about it and she didn't want me to spend money on a ring. I would think that the fact that we're submitting for a K1 should would be proof enough, no? So I guess I will just send her another signed letter of intent to marry?

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good advice here but hey if you are way worried and nervous, you just make sure both you and your spouse have copies of everything and that way there is no question. Carry a suitcase of paperwork around with you if it makes you feel better... I had a box *hugs*

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Timeline
Form 156k:

They state that "The Following Documents should be attached in order to apply for a fiance nonimmigrant visa": Birth certificate, Evidence of Engagement to your fiance and Spousal support document. Her packet from the American Consulate in Stockholm came with instructions stating that these documents wouldn't be needed till her interview, after she submitted the 230 and 156 and 156k forms. But now I see that they are asking for these documents now. Is this the case? Yes, get those douments and have them ready for the interview.

Thanks for responding. So you are saying that I should attach the documents they ask for to form 156k, even if it goes against what it states in the instructions from the consulate? Or are you saying to just send in the 156k without the documents and have them ready for the interview? I just want to be clear on your answer.

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Timeline

Always always always go the extra mile.. your love is worth it. file everything they asak for and more.. why not? My USCIS file was like 2 feet tall when I got to AOS lol and that immigration lawer was like... dude you are legit.. get out of my office already hahaha.. that's a good feeling

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline
Good advice here but hey if you are way worried and nervous, you just make sure both you and your spouse have copies of everything and that way there is no question. Carry a suitcase of paperwork around with you if it makes you feel better... I had a box *hugs*

Hey, yeah, we will have all the info. I just don't want to screw up something when sending forms in that will bounce them back and delay this process further. But it is in my best interest to hold out till the last minute on my Support Form, but I would like her to send in her forms now to get the ball rolling. Once her interview is scheduled, I was going to send her the Support form.

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Timeline

Man I am telling you if USCIS asks for something..send them too much. It does nothing to harm your case. Send them a freaking box. I won't risk my baby over some dumb crappy paperwork. If they ask me to jump I am asking "how high" and this immigration ####### is no game to play. Send them everything..send them double copies.. annoy them and I assure you that it's not going to hurt you, but help you.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline
Man I am telling you if USCIS asks for something..send them too much. It does nothing to harm your case. Send them a freaking box. I won't risk my baby over some dumb crappy paperwork. If they ask me to jump I am asking "how high" and this immigration ####### is no game to play. Send them everything..send them double copies.. annoy them and I assure you that it's not going to hurt you, but help you.

I understand what you are saying, but this is what the instruction sheet says, that she received with her forms, and I quote, including their bolded words...

First: Complete and return immediately to this office the enclosed Form DS 230 part I, DS 156(both copies) and Form DS 156k.

Second: Obtain the following documents on this checklist, which pertain to you. Do NOT send the documents to this office.

The Affidavit of Support is on that list of documents. So they make a very strong point of NOT including any documents with those forms. It's just that Form 156k requests a few of those documents.

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Timeline

Loke took his Affidavit of support copies with him to the interview regardless. They asked for them when he was there. Have her bring copies and if they ask for them then she will have them, if not then it didn't hurt. You don't have to send them, just have her bring them to the interview anyway.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline
Loke took his Affidavit of support copies with him to the interview regardless. They asked for them when he was there. Have her bring copies and if they ask for them then she will have them, if not then it didn't hurt. You don't have to send them, just have her bring them to the interview anyway.

Ok, that's what I was looking for. Even though form 156k asks for them, all she has to do is have them ready for the interview. She doesn't need to send them in ahead of time like the form requests? It just feels weird not sending in something asked for on the form, even though they tell me not to send it in the instructions.

Do you remember if Loke's form 156-k asked for those forms to be included? I know I'm probably just being paranoid, I just hear horror stories about major delays from simple mistakes.

Edited by yehaww

05-12-2009 - I-129F Sent

05-18-2009 - NOA-1

08-26-2009 - NOA-2

forgot exact dates but:

Timeline

Honestly I would do both. Make a copy send it in with the form and make her bring a copy (better safe than sorry honesttly)

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.