Ryan_and_Priscy

Non-vaccination due to religious and moral principles

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I have another issue to ask about, and if somebody has gone through the same situation, I will be so thankful to know an answer. The medical examination and vaccination record requires people who are filing for the AOS have the vaccinations. In my case I don't have any of these since I was never vaccinated. If I have gone to see a doctor it has been when I have to go to the dentist and about one year (I have a car accident and in emergency i was taken to the hospital but I was fine with no damage). Personally I have decided that I will never been vaccinated. My fiance only has the TB vaccination, after that he doesn't have any other. Is it an OBLIGATION to get the vaccinations, specially when I am filling for the AOS? :unsure:

I have another issue to ask about, and if somebody has gone through the same situation, I will be so thankful to know an answer. The medical examination and vaccination record requires people who are filing for the AOS have the vaccinations. In my case I don't have any of these since I was never vaccinated. If I have gone to see a doctor it has been when I have to go to the dentist and about one year (I have a car accident and in emergency i was taken to the hospital but I was fine with no damage). Personally I have decided that I will never been vaccinated. My fiance only has the TB vaccination, after that he doesn't have any other. Is it an OBLIGATION to get the vaccinations, specially when I am filling for the AOS? :unsure:

There would have to be a really good reason for not getting vaccinations other than "I dont like them" (IE, a proven medical condition preventing safe administration of vaccines or some noted and accepted custom or religion for not undertaking them)

The USA is interested in protecting it's citizens from communicable diseases. Unless you can be granted a waiver on this requirement, then your going to come unstuck at AOS, because you ARE obligated to fulfill vaccination requirements before you are awarded LPR status.

Your dealing with immigration law and requirements now. Non compliance can lead to denial and personal feelings about vaccinations probably aren't going to cut it.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There is a waiver for vaccinations, but from the few people on VJ that have applied for it, I do not remember anyone getting it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Religious or personal beliefs do not merit non-vaccination. Entry into the country is a privilege not a right. I'm just tellin u how it is.

03/26/2009: NVC in
04/08/2009: Learned we are being screened for Additional Processing 'AP'
05/09/2009: Arrived at the US consulate in Bangkok
05/15/2009: Medical Passed
05/20/2009: Packet 3 received
05/21/2009: Packet 3 returned

07/08/2009: Interview
07/08/2009: issued 221(g) due to proof of single status document missing a stamp
07/20/2009: Resubmitted document with missing stamp. Accepted
07/23/2009: Visa issued

07/28/2009: POE JFK
07/31/2009: Married
09/02/2009: AOS submitted
09/10/2009 NOA1
09/25/2009: Case Transfered to CSC
10/13/2009 Biometrics
10/26/2009: Received EAD card
11/30/2009: RFE Delayed Birth Registration
12/31/2009: USCIS receives RFE reply
1/07/2010: Green Card Delivered
1/15/2010: Green Card Arrived

10/10/2011: Mailed in I-751 to remove conditions
10/20/2011: NOA1
11/28/2011: Biometrics
03/29/2012: RFE USCIS wants more proof of a bona fide relationship
04/03/2012: USCIS receives RFE reply
04/10/2012: Approval Letter
5/18/2012: Email notice that Green Card is being produced
5/24/2012: Green Card Arrived

10/07/14: N-400 mailed

11/12/14: Biometrics

12/5//14: In Line

03/25/15: Naturalization Ceremony: Journey Complete

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

When people assert "how it is" it can not always be relied upon as an accurate staement. You will need to submit Form I-160 Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility with evidence to show that you are opposed to vaccinations in any form; the objection is based on religious belief or moral conviction; and the belief or conviction is sincere.

From: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTM...-0-0-13419.html

© Individual Waivers under Section 212(g)(2)© of the Act Based on Religious Beliefs or Moral Objections . Section 212(g)(2)© of the Act authorizes USCIS to grant a waiver of inadmissibility when the applicant establishes that compliance with the vaccination requirements would be contrary to his or her religious beliefs or moral convictions. (Continue accepting Form I-601 for this purpose, pending approval of the revised forms.) The plain statutory language refers to the alien's "religious beliefs or moral convictions" whereas the language in the accompanying Conference Report is more restrictive and refers to "an active member of a religious faith . . . ." USCIS has taken particular caution to avoid any perceived infringement on personal beliefs and First Amendment rights to free speech and religion. To this end, USCIS has reviewed court decisions on conscientious objection to the military draft, and challenges to State-mandated vaccinations for public school students, and has established the following three requirements:

• The applicant must be opposed to vaccinations in any form . The fact that the applicant has received certain vaccinations but not others is not automatic grounds for denial, depending on the reasons provided for having received them. For example, the applicant's religious or moral beliefs have changed substantially since the date the particular vaccinations were administered, or the applicant is a child who may have already received certain vaccinations under the routine practices of an orphanage. These examples do not limit your authority to consider all credible circumstances and accompanying evidence.

• The objection must be based on religious beliefs or moral convictions . This second requirement should be handled with sensitivity. On the one hand, case law notes that the individual's religious beliefs must be balanced against the benefit of society as a whole. On the other hand, these same cases also note the importance of being mindful that vaccinations offend certain individuals' religious beliefs.

Note 1: It is not necessary for the applicant to be a member of a recognized or mainstream religion. It is not necessary for the applicant to be a member of a specific religion or attend a specific house of worship. By imposing such a requirement, the Government could potentially be perceived as putting a "stamp of approval" on some religions or religious beliefs but not others. Note also that the plain language of the statute refers to religious beliefs or moral convictions.

Note 2: It is necessary to distinguish between strong religious/moral objections and mere preference. The analysis of exactly what constitutes a religious or moral objection, as found in cases involving challenges to State-mandated vaccinations for public school students, reveals that a touchstone of a religion is present where a believer will categorically disregard elementary self-interest rather than transgress religious tenets. Consequently, the applicant has the burden of establishing a strong objection to va ccinations that is based on religious or moral beliefs, as opposed to a mere preference against vaccinations. By means of a sworn statement, the applicant should state exactly what those religious beliefs or moral objections are and establish how such beliefs would be violated or compromised by complying with the vaccination requirements.

• The religious or moral beliefs must be sincere . To protect only those beliefs that are held as a matter of conscience, sincerity analysis seeks to determine the subjective good faith of an adherent. Even if these beliefs accurately reflect the applicant's ultimate conclusions about vaccinations, they must stem from religious/moral convictions, and must not have been framed in terms of a particular belief so as to gain the legal remedy desired, i.e. , a waiver under section 212(g)(2)© of the Act. While an individual may ascribe his or her opposition to vaccinations to a particular religious belief or moral conviction that is inherently opposed to vaccinations, the question then turns to whether that claimed belief or moral conviction is truly held, i.e. , whether it is applied consistently. This may be established through the sworn statement submitted by the applicant. Additional corroborating evidence, if available and credible, may also be considered.

Edited by familyguy
lolfs.gif

Timeline

I am quite certain that enter this country is a privilege. I also had to do this with the Au Pair agency where I came through. I also had to tell them that based on my beliefs and moral principles I haven't had any vaccination and, therefore, I will not get any. I totally understand that this a serious matter, but I believe whoever has his/her beliefs it is also a serious issue. Family guy, your post with the link it is very helpful, and I appreciate all the comments too!

Well, so far I now i am not alone in this situation. As I said, my future husband also stand up for the same position... (that's why I also love him because we think the same! :whistle: )

:)

When people assert "how it is" it can not always be relied upon as an accurate staement. You will need to submit Form I-160 Application for Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility with evidence to show that you are opposed to vaccinations in any form; the objection is based on religious belief or moral conviction; and the belief or conviction is sincere.

From: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTM...-0-0-13419.html

© Individual Waivers under Section 212(g)(2)© of the Act Based on Religious Beliefs or Moral Objections . Section 212(g)(2)© of the Act authorizes USCIS to grant a waiver of inadmissibility when the applicant establishes that compliance with the vaccination requirements would be contrary to his or her religious beliefs or moral convictions. (Continue accepting Form I-601 for this purpose, pending approval of the revised forms.) The plain statutory language refers to the alien's "religious beliefs or moral convictions" whereas the language in the accompanying Conference Report is more restrictive and refers to "an active member of a religious faith . . . ." USCIS has taken particular caution to avoid any perceived infringement on personal beliefs and First Amendment rights to free speech and religion. To this end, USCIS has reviewed court decisions on conscientious objection to the military draft, and challenges to State-mandated vaccinations for public school students, and has established the following three requirements:

• The applicant must be opposed to vaccinations in any form . The fact that the applicant has received certain vaccinations but not others is not automatic grounds for denial, depending on the reasons provided for having received them. For example, the applicant's religious or moral beliefs have changed substantially since the date the particular vaccinations were administered, or the applicant is a child who may have already received certain vaccinations under the routine practices of an orphanage. These examples do not limit your authority to consider all credible circumstances and accompanying evidence.

• The objection must be based on religious beliefs or moral convictions . This second requirement should be handled with sensitivity. On the one hand, case law notes that the individual's religious beliefs must be balanced against the benefit of society as a whole. On the other hand, these same cases also note the importance of being mindful that vaccinations offend certain individuals' religious beliefs.

Note 1: It is not necessary for the applicant to be a member of a recognized or mainstream religion. It is not necessary for the applicant to be a member of a specific religion or attend a specific house of worship. By imposing such a requirement, the Government could potentially be perceived as putting a "stamp of approval" on some religions or religious beliefs but not others. Note also that the plain language of the statute refers to religious beliefs or moral convictions.

Note 2: It is necessary to distinguish between strong religious/moral objections and mere preference. The analysis of exactly what constitutes a religious or moral objection, as found in cases involving challenges to State-mandated vaccinations for public school students, reveals that a touchstone of a religion is present where a believer will categorically disregard elementary self-interest rather than transgress religious tenets. Consequently, the applicant has the burden of establishing a strong objection to va ccinations that is based on religious or moral beliefs, as opposed to a mere preference against vaccinations. By means of a sworn statement, the applicant should state exactly what those religious beliefs or moral objections are and establish how such beliefs would be violated or compromised by complying with the vaccination requirements.

• The religious or moral beliefs must be sincere . To protect only those beliefs that are held as a matter of conscience, sincerity analysis seeks to determine the subjective good faith of an adherent. Even if these beliefs accurately reflect the applicant's ultimate conclusions about vaccinations, they must stem from religious/moral convictions, and must not have been framed in terms of a particular belief so as to gain the legal remedy desired, i.e. , a waiver under section 212(g)(2)© of the Act. While an individual may ascribe his or her opposition to vaccinations to a particular religious belief or moral conviction that is inherently opposed to vaccinations, the question then turns to whether that claimed belief or moral conviction is truly held, i.e. , whether it is applied consistently. This may be established through the sworn statement submitted by the applicant. Additional corroborating evidence, if available and credible, may also be considered.

looks like I was wrong, I stand corrected.

03/26/2009: NVC in
04/08/2009: Learned we are being screened for Additional Processing 'AP'
05/09/2009: Arrived at the US consulate in Bangkok
05/15/2009: Medical Passed
05/20/2009: Packet 3 received
05/21/2009: Packet 3 returned

07/08/2009: Interview
07/08/2009: issued 221(g) due to proof of single status document missing a stamp
07/20/2009: Resubmitted document with missing stamp. Accepted
07/23/2009: Visa issued

07/28/2009: POE JFK
07/31/2009: Married
09/02/2009: AOS submitted
09/10/2009 NOA1
09/25/2009: Case Transfered to CSC
10/13/2009 Biometrics
10/26/2009: Received EAD card
11/30/2009: RFE Delayed Birth Registration
12/31/2009: USCIS receives RFE reply
1/07/2010: Green Card Delivered
1/15/2010: Green Card Arrived

10/10/2011: Mailed in I-751 to remove conditions
10/20/2011: NOA1
11/28/2011: Biometrics
03/29/2012: RFE USCIS wants more proof of a bona fide relationship
04/03/2012: USCIS receives RFE reply
04/10/2012: Approval Letter
5/18/2012: Email notice that Green Card is being produced
5/24/2012: Green Card Arrived

10/07/14: N-400 mailed

11/12/14: Biometrics

12/5//14: In Line

03/25/15: Naturalization Ceremony: Journey Complete

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm having the same dilemna here in that i have come to a position of strong opposition to routine vaccination based on research. As a missionary kid I had many vaccinations for travel requirements and so I'm not sure my stand would hold up on religious/moral grounds. I do have a basic belief that the natural forms that God has created in nature are best suited to remedy our ailments in a general sense but i would not refuse a vaccination in a true life or death situation with a deadly outbreak (not this blown out of proportion swine flu fiasco). I believe there is growing evidence of many chronic ailments/diseases connected with vaccines and am concerned that as a culture we have routinely trusted them as "safe" when the government health officials have never done the kind of long-term, extensive tests that would be necessary to silence the growing number of concerns. I personally have the testimony of my own sister and a cousin who saw behavior changes and autistic behavior shortly after routine infant vaccinations. both children developed autism (one of them less severe). All vaccines carry toxins that are very harmful to the body and have the potential to develop into brain disorders (when they hit the brain) and other chronic illnesses as well as foreign proteins that come from the cultures they were grown in that were never meant to be injected directly into the blood stream.

I seriously do not want to introduce into my system what my body reacts to as poison unless there is some sort of crisis that overrides my concern. this is my honest position but i'd like some feedback as to whether this costitutes religious/moral objection. My interview date is Dec. 21st and i'm not sure i have time to object at this point. How long is the process?

here are a couple interviews with leading professionals that offer helpful information if anyone is interested and hasn't been aware of some of the research out there (of course there is much more):

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...u-Pandemic.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...cine-Myths.aspx

Edited by Rod James

Timeline
I'm having the same dilemna here in that i have come to a position of strong opposition to routine vaccination based on research. As a missionary kid I had many vaccinations for travel requirements and so I'm not sure my stand would hold up on religious/moral grounds. I do have a basic belief that the natural forms that God has created in nature are best suited to remedy our ailments in a general sense but i would not refuse a vaccination in a true life or death situation with a deadly outbreak (not this blown out of proportion swine flu fiasco). I believe there is growing evidence of many chronic ailments/diseases connected with vaccines and am concerned that as a culture we have routinely trusted them as "safe" when the government health officials have never done the kind of long-term, extensive tests that would be necessary to silence the growing number of concerns. I personally have the testimony of my own sister and a cousin who saw behavior changes and autistic behavior shortly after routine infant vaccinations. both children developed autism (one of them less severe). All vaccines carry toxins that are very harmful to the body and have the potential to develop into brain disorders (when they hit the brain) and other chronic illnesses as well as foreign proteins that come from the cultures they were grown in that were never meant to be injected directly into the blood stream.

I seriously do not want to introduce into my system what my body reacts to as poison unless there is some sort of crisis that overrides my concern. this is my honest position but i'd like some feedback as to whether this costitutes religious/moral objection. My interview date is Dec. 21st and i'm not sure i have time to object at this point. How long is the process?

here are a couple interviews with leading professionals that offer helpful information if anyone is interested and hasn't been aware of some of the research out there (of course there is much more):

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...u-Pandemic.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...cine-Myths.aspx

Well, this is what I am doing right now. Just this last Saturday I went to civil surgeon's office to have my medical examination, and of course, he asked me about the vaccinations. I told him honestly I don't have them and therefore, I won't get them. I explained my reasons, based on religious and moral convictions. He simply respected them. Few weeks ago I met a family, all of them had to do the same, and basically they just explained their reasons in a letter sent together with the the I-601 form (check at this) I don't think in the interview they will ask you again about this situation if you already sent all the documents. But if that is the case, and you believe strongly in your reasons which are supported by real facts, it is practically a right to respect your position. I consider what you said is enough to be considered as religious and moral objections.

I am also a daughter of a missionary who has been traveling in many countries. I never was vaccinated, and I don't have any medical record, honestly I have never been in a doctor's office (just the dentist and when I had to apply through the Au Pair Agency which made me to sign some papers and have the same medical examination I am doing now here). A strong immune system can be obtained through natural means and that drugs should seldom be used. I believe strongly in preventing diseases before they attack my body, that's why I am careful with my diet and lifestyle. I do not believe that injecting powerful bacteria of some specific disease into our system will make me healthier. Also, medical voices are having doubts about how really helpful are the vaccinations!

Keep us posted how your interview went. We wish you the best. :thumbs:

Timeline

Wow, the filing fee for that form is $545, more than any of the other paperwork costs in this process. Wonder if they're sending a message there?

do you know if you have to file that form with your local consulate before the medical exam and get a response back that effectively approves or denies your application?

OR, do you fill out the form and take it with you to the medical exam and then the interview? just wondering what the steps are and if I have sufficient time.

thanks for your help and response.

Timeline
Wow, the filing fee for that form is $545, more than any of the other paperwork costs in this process. Wonder if they're sending a message there?

do you know if you have to file that form with your local consulate before the medical exam and get a response back that effectively approves or denies your application?

OR, do you fill out the form and take it with you to the medical exam and then the interview? just wondering what the steps are and if I have sufficient time.

thanks for your help and response.

I don't really know! Since you are applying in your local consulate, I am not sure what to do about it. Your interview is already settled, so that means you already submitted all the documents. Did they ask you also the medical form? What did you say to the doctor about the vaccines? As you can see the medical form (I-693) has the following statements at the end of the page where all the vaccination's information is required to write down:

Results: __ Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) as indicated above

__ Applicant will request and individual waiver based on religious or moral convictions

___ Vaccine history complete for each vaccine, all requirements met.

__ Applicant does not meet immunization requirements

In my case, as I am in the USA already, and I am filling for the Adjustment of Status, I have to send the I-485, together with the I-693, then as my situation requires this waiver, so I am sending together the I-603. The surgeon wanted to see my waiver and the reason of why I am not getting the vaccines. I gave him a copy of that form.

You mentioned that you have been vaccinated. The medical form shows all the vaccines that the USCIS requires, probably they will ask you if you have all of them. You may see which vaccines you don't have yet. Here is the case where you can tell them about your moral convictions. The family I mentioned about them in the previous comment did not submit the waiver together with all the documents, they were asked to fill it out later and they didn't have any problem.

Timeline

I have not had the medical exam yet. the medical exam is requested in the paperwork i received when i got my interview date so i couldn't really start filing this stuff earlier. in the list of required vaccines for my age there is at least one booster and maybe two (MMR) that i would require.

my question is whether i would have to file the I-693 before the medical or take the forms with me to the medical exam? Do i just show up without the required shots (they ask them to be completed before the medical) to the medical exam and tell them my objections...then they tell me to fill out form I-693...or is the procedure different?

Timeline

I think you mean form I-601

My question for you is, why do you think you would need MMR? Do you not have documentation of your vaccinations? If not a simple blood test (titer test) can establish your immunity without having to have the vaccination again.

What booster do you think you will need? Tetanus? Probably, if you haven't had one in the last 10 years.

Anyway, you present your waiver at the interview, per the instructions on the form (page 8)

If you are outside the United States you must submit form I-601 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are applying for a visa.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

form I-601, right. i'll have to double check. I think I would go that route if it didn't look likely to result in a runaround and a high degree of failure at the interview. Other threads here seem to indicate a high probability of being rejected but i'm not sure if those opinions are coming from personal experience or second hand hearsay.

turns out that I will need to get the MMR shot and Tetanus booster as my blood test showed positive only for Measles and not the other two. Leading experts on mercola.com mention that it is important to space out your vaccines (6 months apart) to give your body time to recover and deal with toxins, etc. No chance of that here. Looking at naturopathic options to help the body recover after vaccines if i need to go ahead with them. I don't like the idea of playing Russian roulette with my system but this may be the cost of change.

there's a lot of information out there these days to sift through. Just 20 years ago we all just believed the government knew what was healthy and best for us and trusted our doctors. Now we learn that it's not that simple...you have to take charge of your own health and learn to listen to multiple streams of information that can often conflict with each other. God give us all wisdom.

again, if anyone has had positive experience with using the waiver, i'd love to know...

thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.