eljefe1957

Deceived,Horror story of marring a foriegn wife

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I may get flamed for saying this but....I'd play the sleeping wolf if she really is a scammer. Agree to help with her ROC (even suggest doing it for her)...then simply let the application sit. Or she does it, either never go to the interview with her or go and proclaim what she is and provide whatever proof is needed. What you shouldn't do is divorce her which removes you from her case entirely. Then she only needs to prove the relationship is in good faith.

Once she is denied and removal proceedings then divorce.

If there is no risk of her being a public charge...just let her go live her life.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: Timeline
I may get flamed for saying this but....I'd play the sleeping wolf if she really is a scammer. Agree to help with her ROC (even suggest doing it for her)...then simply let the application sit. Or she does it, either never go to the interview with her or go and proclaim what she is and provide whatever proof is needed. What you shouldn't do is divorce her which removes you from her case entirely. Then she only needs to prove the relationship is in good faith.

lancer.... remember that suggesting to do anything against the spirit of the law is against VJ terms of service dude. :no:

Timeline

lancer.... remember that suggesting to do anything against the spirit of the law is against VJ terms of service dude. :no:

Where is it against the law? In the interview you must always tell the truth, thats what I am saying should be done.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
lancer.... remember that suggesting to do anything against the spirit of the law is against VJ terms of service dude.
Where is it against the law? In the interview you must always tell the truth, thats what I am saying should be done.
Sister Len -- not sure that I immediately see how Brother Lancer's suggestion is against the law, actually or spiritudinally.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

lancer.... remember that suggesting to do anything against the spirit of the law is against VJ terms of service dude.
Sister Len -- not sure that I immediately see how Brother Lancer's suggestion is against the law, actually or spiritudinally.

Love that one :lol:

I know, lancer is my hommie. I was just throwing the reminder there... not cool to advise "well, pretend that you...." whatever else.

Timeline

Its certainly not the most moral road to take I'll give you that. It really depends on the person's situation. Because we can't see the other side of the coin, I suspect that this is probably not a scamming situation so much as a relationship that was never properly thought out and just went sour.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
a relationship that... just went sour.
Kinda reminds me of Aesop's fable (?) about the fox & the grapes: "Well, the relationship was probably sour anyway, si man." (Not sure if the fox said "si, man," but, spiritudinously, he should've, si man.)
It's certainly not the most moral road to take
Remember, si man: "When you swim in the creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a-moray...", si man. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I believe it is the threat of her being on welfare/medicaid and the associated possibility of the goverment wanting him to repay those services provided which is why witholding her residency is key. Ultimately, one must move on, that is for sure. Thanks for your comment.

Divorced or not, he is on the hook for 10 years. He signed the Affidavit of Support; which is a contract between him and the US Government. And divorce does not make it null.

True, divorce doesn't make it null. But making sure that she doesn't receive the 10-year green card does. She has to leave the country and she loses permanent residency. Her loss of permanent residency nullifies the I-865 unless I am mistaken.

Edited by SMR

If there is no risk of her being a public charge...just let her go live her life.

Educate me lancer. She can very well divorce the USC by herself right? Even if the USC tries to delay the divorce waiting for a denial and subsequent removal..thanks

Len: good advice.

Edited by 3600rs

Timeline

Educate me lancer. She can very well divorce the USC by herself right? Even if the USC tries to delay the divorce waiting for a denial and subsequent removal..thanks

Len: good advice.

Well it depends on the state. To say that someone can just get a divorce on their own is true but takes time. Also some states require waiting periods. Either way it appears she needs to file relatively soon and with no divorce and no waivers he is very much still a part of her process at this point in time.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If they are not divorced by the time she needs to file I751, removal proceedings will begin. She will go in front of Immigration Judge and ask for continueancy of status until divorce is complete. If she shows enough evidence of bona fide marriage, IJ will grant her that. Eventually divorce will become final and she will be able to file I751 by herself with a perfect excuse for late filing (uncooperative spouse delaying divorce).

Procrustination with divorce will only create more costs (lawyer fees) and aggravation for both parties involved.

:no:

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

If they are not divorced by the time she needs to file I751, removal proceedings will begin. She will go in front of Immigration Judge and ask for continueancy of status until divorce is complete. If she shows enough evidence of bona fide marriage, IJ will grant her that. Eventually divorce will become final and she will be able to file I751 by herself with a perfect excuse for late filing (uncooperative spouse delaying divorce).

Procrustination with divorce will only create more costs (lawyer fees) and aggravation for both parties involved.

right on! 5 star answer. Bottom line - there is nothing the USC can do without hard evidence of fraud.

Timeline

That's not what I was suggesting anyway.

Edited by lancer1655

Well, that may not be your suggestion, but that can very well be the outcome!

Timeline

Well, that may not be your suggestion, but that can very well be the outcome!

Obviously if she wants a divorce my idea won't work now will it......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.