one...two...tree

Dogs Think Like Babies, While Wolves Think for Themselves

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

dog-baby.jpg

It may not come as much of a surprise to dog-owners, but it seems that dogs and babies share similar logical abilities, as shown by a study published in Science. Experimenters started out with a classic logic experiment, which goes like this: researchers hide a toy in location “A” multiple times while looking at a 10-month-old baby and talking to him (”Look, I have this nice ball!”). When asked to find the toy, the baby always goes to location “A.” The experimenter then hides the toy at location “B,” again while interacting with the baby. But this time, when asked to find the toy, the baby continues to search for it at location “A.” The findings hold, even when a team changes experimenters midtest. Researchers believe that infants make this error because they believe the adults have taught them something fundamental about the world (i.e., “Your toy will always be at location ‘A’”) [ScienceNow].

When researchers performed the same test with dogs, the canines also consistently searched for the toy at location “A,” even after they saw the experimenters hide it somewhere else. On the other hand, wolves that were raised by hand and strongly socialized … easily followed the evidence of their eyes and located the object in Box B [LiveScience]. Researchers hypothesize that dogs erroneously sought the toy in location “A” because they were following the orders given by the experimenter.

The differences between the dogs’ and wolves’ behavior might stem from the domestication of man’s best friend by humans starting around 10,000 years ago. Says study coauthor Adam Miklosi: “I wouldn’t say one species is smarter…. If you assume an animal has to survive without human presence, then wolves are smarter. But if you are thinking that dogs have to survive in a human environment where it’s very important to follow the communications of humans, then in this aspect, dogs are smarter” [LiveScience].

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2009/09/07/dogs-think-like-babies-while-wolves-think-for-themselves/

Talking to a 10 month old is like trying to talk to a Republican.

Talking to a Democrat is like talking to a retard in the special Olympics.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Why do you hate the Special Olympics?

Because Obama does. I must obey the messiah.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Back to the research, that's really interesting and more so because the questions that are being asked and the conclusions drawn are more logical than the usual 'animals aren't as smart as humans because' bull #######. ;)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Why do you hate the Special Olympics?

Because Obama does. I must obey the messiah.

:lol:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not pointing out anyone in particular but since we're on the topic of wolves and behavior, encountering a group online with wolf pack mentality is like arguing with a bunch of twisted tongue teenagers. While getting away with openly harassing current membership and doing their victory laps they alienate the newer membership. Many of which I have yet to see return since an old topic, the HAC thread, went down well over a year ago. Nevertheless this behavior gets condoned and repeated time and time again.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, you guys launched out of that insult starting gate off and running! Trust me, they are totally unnecessary and add nothing to the discussion, so why not try to discuss an article without stooping to insults and baiting instead.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I wonder what breed they used in this study. This all depends on where the dog is on the neoteny evolutionary scale. A dog breed high in the neoteny scale would exhibit a more mature, wolf like behavior with more problem solving abilities (but they are the hardest breeds to train).

My favorite article about neoteny is featured on Valeria Rossi's book of dog breeds, but it is in spanish. This article explains it pretty well though

Dog Ancestry and Domestication

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!