evansfan

Used the new I-129 and still got an IMBRA RFE

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

I made a cusrsory exam of the RFE and their is some additional language about the 2 year period before reapplying for a new K1, maybe that is why I got one. I will call Vermont tomorrow and inquire.

Jay

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2006-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-06-27

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-07-06

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-07-31

NOA2: 2006-10-21

NVC left: 2006-11-23

P3 from Guangzhou-2007-1-22

P3 returned 2007-2-28

P4 03/02/07

Interview 04/17/07

Interview Passed K1 awarded

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Are you sure it is IMBRA RFE? The standard IMBRA only asked 3 questions.

1. did you meet thru a marriage broker

2. Have you ever been convicted of certain crimes

3. if you were convicted were you battered etc.

The information sheet talks about a waiver required if you have had a K-1 approved in within the last two years, or if you have applied for more than 2 K-1 but no questions about it.

How did you answer the questions on the I-129F concerning the above items?

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Timeline

None of it applied to me as well, that is what is strange. I am hoping that maybe a clerical error was made, and someone did not realize my form was a new one

Jay

Are you sure it is IMBRA RFE? The standard IMBRA only asked 3 questions.

1. did you meet thru a marriage broker

2. Have you ever been convicted of certain crimes

3. if you were convicted were you battered etc.

The information sheet talks about a waiver required if you have had a K-1 approved in within the last two years, or if you have applied for more than 2 K-1 but no questions about it.

How did you answer the questions on the I-129F concerning the above items?

Yes, The RFE asked 3 questions. In my original I-129, I only answered one since I did not use a marriage broker, and had never been convicted of a crime. I just noticed that the waiver language appears to be the only additional information on my RFE that was not on the I129

Event Date

P3 returned 2007-2-28

P4 03/02/07

Interview 04/17/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You got me on this one. First I have heard of anyone receiving RFE on IMBRA when they used the new form. Maybe someone else has but havnt heard of it. Think I would definitly check with the center and see if you can get an answer. Someone else might know on the board too. Check back tomorrow morning and see if anyone else can be of more help. Sorry I couldnt help more.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

evansfan,

Are you certain that the RFE is IMBRA related? If so, what led you to this conclusion? Have you applied for a K-1 before?

Your post suggests a possible request for justification of a new I-129F.

Any additional info might help with the assessment of the RFE purpose.

Edited by William33

Yes, The RFE asked 3 questions. In my original I-129, I only answered one since I did not use a marriage broker, and had never been convicted of a crime. I just noticed that the waiver language appears to be the only additional information on my RFE that was not on the I129

The language however is in the instructions for the new I-129F

Filing Limitations on K Nonimmigrant Petitioners.If you have filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of this petition, you must apply for a waiver. To request a waiver you must submit a written request with this petition accompanied bydocumentation of your claim to the waiver.

Clerical errors do get made and this being a new implementation there is going to be a settling period for those at the service centers.

If you havent yet received the hard copy of the RFE, it may also very well be for something missing or incomplete with your petition and not as you are concluding. Let us know.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Everyone,

East coast, so late and brain more scrambled then usual. I apologize for any confusion.

1-Thanks for the information on the language, so my RFE appears to contain nothing new in comparison to the new I-129

2- I have the hard copy of the RFE, and it is asking the same questions contained in the new I 129, and the questions in the RFE refer only to the IMBRA law, nothing else was requested. I am required to answer the questions, sign and return the form

3- THis is my first and hopefully last time applying for a K1

Thanks to all of you

I will keep you posted

Jay

Event Date

P3 returned 2007-2-28

P4 03/02/07

Interview 04/17/07

Everyone,

East coast, so late and brain more scrambled then usual. I apologize for any confusion.

1-Thanks for the information on the language, so my RFE appears to contain nothing new in comparison to the new I-129

2- I have the hard copy of the RFE, and it is asking the same questions contained in the new I 129, and the questions in the RFE refer only to the IMBRA law, nothing else was requested. I am required to answer the questions, sign and return the form

3- THis is my first and hopefully last time applying for a K1

Thanks to all of you

I will keep you posted

Jay

Clerical error then by the looks of it. When you complete/sign and return it, perhaps attach a seperate sheet bringing this to their attention, that you submitted the NEW I-129F which already covered this and this apparently was an oversight.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filing Limitations on K Nonimmigrant Petitioners.If you have filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of this petition, you must apply for a waiver. To request a waiver you must submit a written request with this petition accompanied bydocumentation of your claim to the waiver.

Clerical errors do get made and this being a new implementation there is going to be a settling period for those at the service centers.

If you havent yet received the hard copy of the RFE, it may also very well be for something missing or incomplete with your petition and not as you are concluding. Let us know.

There are some subtle but important differences between the law and the RFE form. I was wondering what will be the standard.

This is from the law:

‘‘(i) the petitioner has not, previous to the pending petition,

petitioned under paragraph (1) with respect to two or more

applying aliens; AND ‘‘(ii) if the petitioner has had such a petition previously

approved, 2 years have elapsed since the FILING of such previously

approved petition.

This is from the RFE:

If you have filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past OR previously had a K-1 visa petition APPROVED within two years prior to the filing of this petition, you must apply for a waiver.

Now, my question. Which one is the USCIS compelled to follow? If they go by the approved standard rather the filing standard do they go by when the first one was filed or when the first one was approved? If they go by the approved standard and they go by the approved date rather than the filed date for the first petition then I should have filed for a waiver. I didn't file a waiver, but my first petition was filed 2 years 2 months before my second one was but the first one was approved 1 year and 11 months before I filed the second one. Am I in for another RFE???

There are some subtle but important differences between the law and the RFE form. I was wondering what will be the standard.

This is from the law:

‘‘(i) the petitioner has not, previous to the pending petition,

petitioned under paragraph (1) with respect to two or more

applying aliens; AND ‘‘(ii) if the petitioner has had such a petition previously

approved, 2 years have elapsed since the FILING of such previously

approved petition.

This is from the RFE:

If you have filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past OR previously had a K-1 visa petition APPROVED within two years prior to the filing of this petition, you must apply for a waiver.

Now, my question. Which one is the USCIS compelled to follow? If they go by the approved standard rather the filing standard do they go by when the first one was filed or when the first one was approved? If they go by the approved standard and they go by the approved date rather than the filed date for the first petition then I should have filed for a waiver. I didn't file a waiver, but my first petition was filed 2 years 2 months before my second one was but the first one was approved 1 year and 11 months before I filed the second one. Am I in for another RFE???

I wasnt referring to the written law, but the instructions on the I-129F when comparing to the RFE.

However to answer you, I actually read and understand it as one and the same. It refers to an approved petition that was filed within 2 years of filing the present one.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I wasnt referring to the written law, but the instructions on the I-129F when comparing to the RFE.

However to answer you, I actually read and understand it as one and the same. It refers to an approved petition that was filed within 2 years of filing the present one.

Oh God thank you Aussiewench! I didn't catch the difference when I mailed in my RFE. I have been sweating bullets worring about that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

This totally sux, big time. Hopefully it was an oversite by the officer attending your case.

I also sent in the NEW I-129f so I'm praying I don't get one too.....

K-1 Timeline:

11/27/04 - First met

03/06/06 - Engaged

06/16/06 - New I-129f sent

06/19/06 - I-129f rec'vd by TSC

06/29/06 - NOA1

09/12/06 - NOA2

01/24/07 - Interview APPROVED!

01/30/07 - Returned to US with fiance

02/15/07 - Married

AOS Timeline:

04/24/07 - AOS/EAD mailed out

06/06/07 - Biometrics done

06/21/07 - I-485 APPROVED!!

Timeline

I spoke with VSC. The gentleman who answered the phone was very polite, and he thinks that it was exactly as I thought. My I-129 was placed in a stack with the others that needed a RFE. He sugggested I simply return my RFE, and let the process move forward.

Jay

Event Date

P3 returned 2007-2-28

P4 03/02/07

Interview 04/17/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I spoke with VSC. The gentleman who answered the phone was very polite, and he thinks that it was exactly as I thought. My I-129 was placed in a stack with the others that needed a RFE. He sugggested I simply return my RFE, and let the process move forward.

Jay

Good to see another from China. It is a shame that they stuck you in the wrong pile. We have a long enough wait as it is with Guanghzou. Good news is that you are at the VSC, so you should move out of there pretty quick once they get the RFE back and processed. Best of luck to you. There is some great information on http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php it is set up for US/China people going through the same process. When you have time, you should check it out.

August-December 2004---------Together my baby.

June 2005-----------Together again.

November 2005-----Together again.

March 2006---------Together again.

July 2006------------Together again.

October-November 2006-------Together again.

April 28, 2006--------NOA1.

May 2006-------------IMBRA.

May 27, 2006--------Touched.

June 1, 2006---------Touched.

June 2, 2006---------Touched.

June 3, 2006---------Touched.

June 14, 2006-------Touched.

June 15, 2006-------Touched.

June 16, 2006-------Touched.

June 17, 2006-------Touched.

July 3, 2006---------Touched.

July 4, 2006---------Touched.

July 5, 2006---------Touched.

July 18, 2006--------Touched.

July 22, 2006--------Received IMBRA RFE.

July 24, 2006--------RFE returned Next Day Air to CSC.

July 25, 2006--------CSC receives RFE.

August 1, 2006------Touched 3 times.

August 1, 2006------Preliminary processing completed email.

August 2, 2006------Touched.

August 3, 2006------Touched.

August 7, 2006------Touched.

September 7, 2006---Touched.

September 7, 2006---Approved.

September 8, 2006---Touched.

September 11, 2006--Receive NOA2.

October 12, 2006-----Left NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.