redBlue

when did u give up your CDN residency?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

in Cali they are supposed to take your foreign license when you get the California license, it says that right in the DMV handbook but the lady asked to see mine and then handed it back to me...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I'd not be giving up your license until you go to the DMV in your State. They had to see mine as well, probably to determine whether it was true I had one in Canada. :lol: You'll always have your SIN, don't be tearing that up unless you want to get a replacement some day. You'll always need your number, it's a lifetime one anyway. I don't know that I let anyone "know" until I got here, then sent change of address and name forms to both provincial and federal government agencies.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I notified every agency the week before I moved.... I sent a letter to OHIP so it was in writing, that I was cutting up my card which I did and no longer a Canadian resident.... I also sent the DMV a letter and cut up my license too. I notified the govt and they cancelled my GST rebate cheques.... Of course not my SIN number, that is with you for life! I had a list that I got off VJ and I'm sure there are other places I notified but cannot recall right now....

Did you really cut up your license? Why? I'm guessing you cut it up after you got your PA license?

NYS kept my old license, but I still had an expired Ontario one previous to the one they kept, so I'm glad I still have it because it's in my married name and it's the only thing with a photo (other than my passport) that shows my maiden name and all my Canadian banking is still in my maiden name, so if I use my Canadian visa and someone asks for photo id, then at least I have my old license.

What is the value in telling OHIP that we've left? Just wondering. I'm pretty sure I didn't and I just want to make sure I'm not going to get in trouble, LOL.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I notified every agency the week before I moved.... I sent a letter to OHIP so it was in writing, that I was cutting up my card which I did and no longer a Canadian resident.... I also sent the DMV a letter and cut up my license too. I notified the govt and they cancelled my GST rebate cheques.... Of course not my SIN number, that is with you for life! I had a list that I got off VJ and I'm sure there are other places I notified but cannot recall right now....

Did you really cut up your license? Why? I'm guessing you cut it up after you got your PA license?

NYS kept my old license, but I still had an expired Ontario one previous to the one they kept, so I'm glad I still have it because it's in my married name and it's the only thing with a photo (other than my passport) that shows my maiden name and all my Canadian banking is still in my maiden name, so if I use my Canadian visa and someone asks for photo id, then at least I have my old license.

What is the value in telling OHIP that we've left? Just wondering. I'm pretty sure I didn't and I just want to make sure I'm not going to get in trouble, LOL.

Yes, I got my PA license soon after moving and only cut up my ON license then. Well I had no need for it anymore and didn't want a souvenier, LOL but I read a story that Bermycat posted once it scared me LOL. She said that she was in secondary once and a guy was in there with his Canadian license but he had a green card.... and having the Canadian license was proof he was still a Canadian resident or something and was trying to have 2 residencies so they took away his green card or something like that.... maybe she can clarify the details of the story. I just didn't need it anymore!

As for OHIP, I just read it on one of the lists of people to notify. It's on their website that if you move out of Ontario, it's your obligation to notify them so I sent a letter as recommended.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I was a very bad girl and didn't notify any one...I had no clue I was staying in the US at the time of entry and that my husband would propose at the time.

After I came to VJ and read that people notified people, I was a little scared and shocked...

But nothing has happened to me thus far and I still have my health card, driver's license, etc.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I got my PA license soon after moving and only cut up my ON license then. Well I had no need for it anymore and didn't want a souvenier, LOL but I read a story that Bermycat posted once it scared me LOL. She said that she was in secondary once and a guy was in there with his Canadian license but he had a green card.... and having the Canadian license was proof he was still a Canadian resident or something and was trying to have 2 residencies so they took away his green card or something like that.... maybe she can clarify the details of the story. I just didn't need it anymore!

As for OHIP, I just read it on one of the lists of people to notify. It's on their website that if you move out of Ontario, it's your obligation to notify them so I sent a letter as recommended.

That makes sense. I plan to just not travel with any of my Canadian ID, but I still have it in case I ever move back. I'm especially not giving up my red and white health card! That baby never expires!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I basically told everyone I would have told if we were moving to Lethbridge - really it's the same thing. They will let you know whether they care or not I suppose.

For things like my bank, I just gave them an address here.

In some places, like Alberta, you aren't supposed to have two licenses - so we got a lecture from the person at the registry office when we went to update the address when we returned. Oh well who cares :lol: - not that my Husband's license was valid anyway as the Florida folks cut the corner off.

As for Health Care - yes you are supposed to notify them as you have to be a resident for a certain number of months per year to qualify. No harm in keeping the card but not cancelling it is - well nothing will happen, it's just an honesty system.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

As for moving, from Canada to the USA (I've been here in the USA since 2006), I did the following:

I notified:

-Revenue Canada and Elections Canada (with the "final tax return" in 2007, to prevent tax fraud and to officially notify the Canadian government that I'm not living in Canada anymore, and had to cancel and return those GST cheques I'm not entitled to and would be in trouble for keeping such)

-Passport Canada (when they added my married name to my maiden name passport in 2007)

-Passport Canada again (when I applied for a new passport recently in my married name in 2009)

-I closed my Canadian bank account in Canada (2007)

-I let someone in Canada collect my personal mail for me, and then notified those people by mail that I moved (2006-Present)

I didn't notify:

-Social Insurance (Human Resources Canada, I think) as I wouldn't be working in Canada anymore and wouldn't need a new card.

-OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) as my card already expired and I can't use it here, so I never renewed it.

-MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) as my license was automatically transfered, surrendered, and destroyed here by the DMV in NYS. Note: You cannot have 2 driver's licenses at the same time (at least that's the way it is here in NYS), so you would either have to pick between the American one or the Canadian one to keep.

Anyone else I need to notify in Canada, government and financial-wise, I can't think of, and haven't done such.

But while I was in the USA as a permanent resident..I also recently got the following at my old Canadian address with my maiden name, which someone forwarded the mail to me in the USA, and I did the following:

-Elections Canada Notice (2009). Shortly after I renewed my Canadian passport, I got a notice saying that I was on the voter's list, and that if I didn't reply to it within 60 days, I would be off the list. So I just ignored it, and I assumed that I was taken off the list by not replying to it because as a resident of the USA, I could not vote in Canada anyways even if I wanted to.

-Jury Duty Questionnaire (2009). I had to reply back to this one within 1-2 weeks, or face fines and/or other legal consequences. I received this forwarded notice past the deadline too, since I did not know of such before. So despite my reply to the questionnaire being late, I sent it in. I also explained to them about my situation about being the USA as a pemanent resident and not living in Canada, sent them additional proof that I wasn't living in Canada (eg. copy of my green card), and because of my circumstances cannot serve on jury duty in Canada. I haven't heard from them since, so I assume I'm off the jury duty list.

Lesson learned: Do all the updates/notifications, but don't be surprised if somehow or other that one would still get notices from Canada, despite doing such. Oh well, at least you've done your part...not your fault if they don't update the information accurately on their end....

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journeys too.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Yes - you are no lonere entitled to GST and CCTB (why would you be, right?) - I learned the hard way because I told them, but forgot to remind them 50 times after they continued to deposit my GST and CCTB long after I had notified them the first time. I recently paid back every cent they over paid me and having to shell out a year's worth of CCTB and GST was irritating when it was their own fault for continuing the paymen

Just a side note on this one for anyone that is may still be working in Canada. If you still work in Canada and still pay Canadian Income tax then you probably will still be a "factual resident" of Canada for tax purposes. Thus, they still tax you as if you where a Canadain resident and thus you would still be entitled to collect the GST credit and Child Tax Benefit and Universal Child Care. But once again this is only if you are still employed in Canada. And second bonus of still working in Canada - you still can receive the Canada's maternity/paternity benefits if you plan on having a family.

Timeline
Yes - you are no lonere entitled to GST and CCTB (why would you be, right?) - I learned the hard way because I told them, but forgot to remind them 50 times after they continued to deposit my GST and CCTB long after I had notified them the first time. I recently paid back every cent they over paid me and having to shell out a year's worth of CCTB and GST was irritating when it was their own fault for continuing the paymen

Just a side note on this one for anyone that is may still be working in Canada. If you still work in Canada and still pay Canadian Income tax then you probably will still be a "factual resident" of Canada for tax purposes. Thus, they still tax you as if you where a Canadain resident and thus you would still be entitled to collect the GST credit and Child Tax Benefit and Universal Child Care. But once again this is only if you are still employed in Canada. And second bonus of still working in Canada - you still can receive the Canada's maternity/paternity benefits if you plan on having a family.

Not true - I was considered a factual resident the first year I left (left in Nov, all of my income that year was in Canada) - I was no longer entitled to GST and CCTB the day I left - you have to be residing there in order to be elgible for those.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Not true - I was considered a factual resident the first year I left (left in Nov, all of my income that year was in Canada) - I was no longer entitled to GST and CCTB the day I left - you have to be residing there in order to be elgible for those.

Yes, it is true. I receive it (CCTB) and actually, got back pay because I wasn't receiving it because I thought I wasn't entitled to it. I have talked to the tax office and they told me that as long as I am a "factual resident for tax purposes" I am entitled to it.

Are you eligible?

To receive the CCTB, all the following conditions must be met:

1.You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.

2.You must be the person primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. We define primarily responsible above.

Note

If a child does not reside with you all the time, see "Shared eligibility".

3.You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.

We consider you to be a resident of Canada when you establish sufficient residential ties in Canada. For more information, see Interpretation Bulletin IT-221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status.

4.You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:

◦a Canadian citizen;

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "permanent resident";

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "protected person"; or

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "temporary resident" who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month (other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"). If this is your situation, you should not apply before the 19th month.

I have had the determination of Residential status done and I have been determined to be a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes. I'm not saying it is applicable for everyone, but if there is some that is still working in Canada and mantains substantial ties to Canada than they should look into it and see if they are still eligible for it.

Timeline

Yes, it is true. I receive it (CCTB) and actually, got back pay because I wasn't receiving it because I thought I wasn't entitled to it. I have talked to the tax office and they told me that as long as I am a "factual resident for tax purposes" I am entitled to it.

Are you eligible?

To receive the CCTB, all the following conditions must be met:

1.You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.

2.You must be the person primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. We define primarily responsible above.

Note

If a child does not reside with you all the time, see "Shared eligibility".

3.You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.

We consider you to be a resident of Canada when you establish sufficient residential ties in Canada. For more information, see Interpretation Bulletin IT-221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status.

4.You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:

◦a Canadian citizen;

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "permanent resident";

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "protected person"; or

◦as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a "temporary resident" who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month (other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"). If this is your situation, you should not apply before the 19th month.

I have had the determination of Residential status done and I have been determined to be a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes. I'm not saying it is applicable for everyone, but if there is some that is still working in Canada and mantains substantial ties to Canada than they should look into it and see if they are still eligible for it.

perhaps my ties were not substantial enough, although I was deem factual

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• 2 years later...

Interesting tidbit for those in Ontario. I just got off the phone with the Ministry of Transportation. California did not make me hand over my Ontario license when I got my new license here. The lady on the phone said that the states are supposed to do an "exchange" program with the license, but since they didn't take mine, if I want, I can send it in and request a refund of the licensing fees I paid in Ontario, since my license isn't set to expire for another 9 months. It might be nice to get some money back somewhere in this costly process!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting tidbit for those in Ontario. I just got off the phone with the Ministry of Transportation. California did not make me hand over my Ontario license when I got my new license here. The lady on the phone said that the states are supposed to do an "exchange" program with the license, but since they didn't take mine, if I want, I can send it in and request a refund of the licensing fees I paid in Ontario, since my license isn't set to expire for another 9 months. It might be nice to get some money back somewhere in this costly process!

I did that when I got here. I got back a whopping 65 dollars from the Ontario ministry of transportation. I had just renewed my License in July and moved the following october.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure what exchange program they are talking about. Every state is different. Some let you just exchange your Canadian license for a US one but other states like California you have to take all the tests over again.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.