Kathryn41

Social Security Card

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I updated my status after becoming a citizen with SSA, I was told that I would receive my new card after they had verified my status with immigration. I was surprised since the card I have now is unrestricted. There was some discussion in this forum about whether or not new cards are issued. Well, today I received a receipt notice advising me my new card has been ordered and I should receive it within 2 weeks, and if I don't to contact them. So, I guess I am getting a new SSN card after all.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
When I updated my status after becoming a citizen with SSA, I was told that I would receive my new card after they had verified my status with immigration. I was surprised since the card I have now is unrestricted. There was some discussion in this forum about whether or not new cards are issued. Well, today I received a receipt notice advising me my new card has been ordered and I should receive it within 2 weeks, and if I don't to contact them. So, I guess I am getting a new SSN card after all.

Thanks for the info. What I was also told, is that you may get a new SSC but the number will remain the same.

JNR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks for the info. What I was also told, is that you may get a new SSC but the number will remain the same.

I am not sure but i think u right the Number will remain the same.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Several visits to the local SS office, EAD, LPR, then USC, just made minor changes to the SS-5 and brought along the required evidence and had my wife sign the form each time. For USC, wife finally decided to drop her maiden name between her first and married last name. When she first got her SS card, was concerned about keeping ties with her home country, but that really results in a lot of confusion with phone directories and credit cards. No problem in dropping that name with her last card. She got a new SS card each time.

I love to give them a subtle reminder each time I go there, between her and her employer, that are taking out over 15% of her gross wages that she may never get back. That kind of seems to change their attitude, as that is how they are getting their paychecks.

Can't believe the number of government agencies that forget that simple fact, we the taxpayers are the true boss.

Interesting, I guess every Social Security office is different - when we went to update my husband's info with the SSA here, the lady specifically asked him if he wanted to get a new card or just wanted to update his status in the system. Husband told her he didn't need a new card and so far we haven't received anything in the mail. (Although, at the end, she did hand him some kind of form letter stating that he had applied for a new SSN etc... which we figured they just gave everyone automatically, since it obviously didn't apply to my husband!)

The woman also said that it might take a bit of time to verify his citizenship status since he only took his oath that very day (and she made a photocopy of his new Naturalization Certificate).

Edited by l.j./1999

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Timeline
Interesting, I guess every Social Security office is different - when we went to update my husband's info with the SSA here, the lady specifically asked him if he wanted to get a new card or just wanted to update his status in the system. Husband told her he didn't need a new card and so far we haven't received anything in the mail. (Although, at the end, she did hand him some kind of form letter stating that he had applied for a new SSN etc... which we figured they just gave everyone automatically, since it obviously didn't apply to my husband!)

The woman also said that it might take a bit of time to verify his citizenship status since he only took his oath that very day (and she made a photocopy of his new Naturalization Certificate).

If you were the SS, would you trust they USCIS? :devil: Your SS number should never change since day one, key factor in keeping track of how much money you sent in. Comedians like going to government agencies to gather really stupid things they hear to make new jokes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
I got a new card in the mail even though there is nothing wrong with my old card.

It was free, wasn't it?

Er, yes? I meant that I went in to just change my status and they told me they will send me a new card in the mail. I said my old one was ok but she said they'd send me a new one anyway...

Now I have 3 SS cards. Guess I won't be forgetting my number any time soon :rolleyes: .

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My new Social Security card arrived in the mail today - it was issued September 4 so it took 7 business days exactly for my new status to be verified and for them to issue the card. The only differences in this card from my previous card is that it has USA in gold at the bottom center of the card and there is a date off issue on it which doesn't appear on my old card. Some of the instruction information is different as well, but it isn't anything citizenship specific. Yes, the number is still the same.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
My new Social Security card arrived in the mail today - it was issued September 4 so it took 7 business days exactly for my new status to be verified and for them to issue the card. The only differences in this card from my previous card is that it has USA in gold at the bottom center of the card and there is a date off issue on it which doesn't appear on my old card. Some of the instruction information is different as well, but it isn't anything citizenship specific. Yes, the number is still the same.

Were easy to counterfeit, so SS had to do something, to get a driver's license in our state, only needed an SS card back then, like two years ago being back then. Not only did SS make the card more difficult to counterfeit, but our DMV demanded to see a green card, not so easy to counterfeit. So illegals either had to walk or find a different state to move to.

Sure gave my wife a hard time with an expired green card and a one year extension, what in the hell is a one year extension? I really got angry and went clear up to our governor, she got her license.

So today my husband got a letter that his new Social Security card is on the way. This after the SSA staff specifically asked him if he needed a new card and he said No - so we thought they had a way to suppress the production of the new card. I guess we will see what happens...

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.