New Beginnings

Olive Oil

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've been trying to find olive oil here that actually tastes like the olive oil I had in Morocco. All the olive oil I have found here is extra virgin or just doesn't have the olive taste to it.

Anyone have suggestions on where to find that olive oil that actually has the olive taste to it?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree -- the olive oil from Morocco is amazing. I've never tasted anything here like it, but I'd also try a ME grocery store or maybe something like World Market (my husband brought a good bit with him, so we haven't had to shop for any yet). The olive oil I've had from there is very green in color, so a visual comparison MAY help when you are shopping.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

We bought some recently at World Market - it is Italian - Savini is the brand. We got it for a steal - $7.99 for a half gallon. I bought 2 - should last us a year. It is really olivey - not light at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We bought some recently at World Market - it is Italian - Savini is the brand. We got it for a steal - $7.99 for a half gallon. I bought 2 - should last us a year. It is really olivey - not light at all.

awesome!!! :thumbs: Now if I only knew how to cook! :devil:

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ooh that's a good price. I'll have to check that out.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i thought this was gonna be a thread about popeye. :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have been looking for olive oil with the same strong taste as moroccan oil too for 8 mos. even the stuff from middle eastern stores is not as strong. the closest we have come is when we make the moroccan black oil cured olives I cover them with gallons of costco's olive oil and the tast of the olives makes the oil become real strong! but thank god my husbands family make the oil from theyre farm and I sneek a few bottles back in my luggage each year. i really think it tastes the way it does because of the moroccan olives they use. I am in northern cali and seems like all the wineries here are on the olive oil producing wagon. we taste the oils they make (even the $$$$$$ ones) and none tastes like the moroccan oil. however we are now addicted to blood orenge oil :thumbs: Olive

Edited by Olive♥

Try looking for an extra virgin olive oil that is organic and also "first cold pressed" - this makes a big difference in the taste.

As for Moroccan specifically, have you tried online? You might be able to find olive oil from there if you look online. Shipping would be an added cost, but if you like it that much, it's worth it.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

lol, I got to thinking when I read that you bought a gallon of olive oil. My MIL here in Egypt has used more oil in the 3 1/2 months we've been living at their house than I've used in my entire life (I'm 40!). It really shocks me how much she uses and I hate that it's in or on EVERYTHING!!!! (and she mostly uses corn oil I think).

Anyways, my brain started to work on how much calories, etc. are in that much olive oil, so here you go! :P (and I'm not trying to pick on you, just thought it was interesting to see). :star:

1 gallon = 4 liters, 1 liter = 4 cups, so 1 gallon = 16 cups of olive oil.

1 cup of olive oil has 1,910 calories, 100% of it from fat.

16 cups of olive oil has 30,560 calories.

You need to burn off 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of weight.

Here is a great site that I like using that has nutrition listed for almost any kind of food that you can buy. It lists calories, vitamins/minerals, and some other stuff.

nutrition of foods

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

lol, I got to thinking when I read that you bought a gallon of olive oil. My MIL here in Egypt has used more oil in the 3 1/2 months we've been living at their house than I've used in my entire life (I'm 40!). It really shocks me how much she uses and I hate that it's in or on EVERYTHING!!!! (and she mostly uses corn oil I think).

Anyways, my brain started to work on how much calories, etc. are in that much olive oil, so here you go! :P (and I'm not trying to pick on you, just thought it was interesting to see). :star:

1 gallon = 4 liters, 1 liter = 4 cups, so 1 gallon = 16 cups of olive oil.

1 cup of olive oil has 1,910 calories, 100% of it from fat.

16 cups of olive oil has 30,560 calories.

You need to burn off 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of weight.

Here is a great site that I like using that has nutrition listed for almost any kind of food that you can buy. It lists calories, vitamins/minerals, and some other stuff.

nutrition of foods

Spoil sport. :P

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

I was wondering the same thing.

I use alot of olive oil, either virgin or regular.

I do have Argan, I don't think that is what you mean tho.

Do they use Argan for dipping purposes?

I tell ya I have NEVER found any comparable olives around me.

Nothing like what i had in Morocco. The black oil cured ones I have found, not with the same taste, at Trader Joe's.

They had a glass jar called "MOROCCAN OLIVES" black oil cured, they were OK.

I would love to know what oil we can use for dipping.

Hubby will occasionally use the normal Olive Oil but I am sure he would love the REAL MOROCCAN kind. I wanted to agree with Caybee about it being a little green in colour.

Charles, you just crack me up :no::P

Edited by Sandrila

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.