balmytigeress

Which of us is responsible for keeping track of deadline

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I (the immigrant) handle all of the immigration issues, deadlines, paperwork also purely because I am better at that type of thing. I also handle all of the bills, invites to weddings, parties . I am more organized than my husband.

Also as previously mentioned our Calender is neautral also, when we have something to remember (like my husbands friend's birthday party) he will write it on the calender.

I love my husband, but if it was up to him to pay the bills and manage the books we would be buried in debts!.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

the answer is that married couples should work it all out together as a team, if he relies on you to do the paperwork then he should do the housewife, you know what I mean.....

I (the usc) took the responsibility to do all the paperwork because he doesn't speak English and doesn't know anything what to do here :( but I DON'T mind doing it, I actually am happy to do it because I feel more secure if I do it, I know how to do it..... and he on the other hand, to help me out, he does chores around the house, laundry, dishes, cleaning, bathrooms, taking garbage out, I mean EVERYTHING, which is great and I feel we are doing things equally :)

I hope everything works out with you two also, just sit down one day and talk it all out (but first tell each other that you're just talking and NOT pointing fingers or blaming anyone)...

and God bless your marriage!

P.S. You have to understand him too, maybe they never had SO MUCH responsibility in their country as we do here in the US, he never learned to be THAT responsible and remember thing.

7-22-2008 Sent I129F to CSC

7-31-2008 NOA1

12-8-2008 checked case status online.. APPROVED!!!

12-12-2008 received hard copy NOA2 !!!!!

12-17-2008 received NVC Case # !!!!!

1-5-2009 received Packet 3!!!!!

1-22-2009 Interview Date!!!!! Please pray for us!

2-5-2009 US here we come :)

4-19-2009 Wedding Day!!!

AOS

6-4-2009 AOS Filed!!!

6-25-2009 Fingerprints appt!!!

7-9-2009 email: "EAD card production ordered"

7-14-2009 email: "EAD card production ordered"

7-15-2009 email: "Approval Notice Sent"

7-17-2009 EAD Card received

9-15-2009 AOS Interview

7y3zfuchf.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Unless otherwise agreed, I think that it's the Alien responsibility to deal with that. How can you expect to be taken care of in a society where individualism is king. That's my 2 cents :)

Hmm yes but... Who's is the petitioner and who's the beneficiary? Hmmhmm?

Ok, I am the furriner but I did complete all forms, he just had to sign them.

I remember that sometimes I felt like I was faking, because well IF-129 is written as a petition from the USC. ^^

Hrm, not sure if that's clear, but you see what I mean right?!

You know when people ask me what's the worst about the culture difference in a couple, I always reply it's not the differences themselves but the fact you can always use that difference as an excuse that sucks!

I'm wondering if there's a poll about who filled the forms, if it's mainly the USC, the furriner, the male or the female...

I'd bet 2 cts on the females though. :P

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Timeline
Unless otherwise agreed, I think that it's the Alien responsibility to deal with that. How can you expect to be taken care of in a society where individualism is king. That's my 2 cents :)

Hmm yes but... Who's is the petitioner and who's the beneficiary? Hmmhmm?

Ok, I am the furriner but I did complete all forms, he just had to sign them.

I remember that sometimes I felt like I was faking, because well IF-129 is written as a petition from the USC. ^^

Hrm, not sure if that's clear, but you see what I mean right?!

You know when people ask me what's the worst about the culture difference in a couple, I always reply it's not the differences themselves but the fact you can always use that difference as an excuse that sucks!

I'm wondering if there's a poll about who filled the forms, if it's mainly the USC, the furriner, the male or the female...

I'd bet 2 cts on the females though. :P

:) Yes I see what you are saying. As far as the I-129F is concerned, until the Alien gets to America, the USC is to take care of it I think. After that, which is their situation, the roles should change :) I did everything myself too (even for the I-129F), I am the foreigner, but that's because I am much better at that and I feel that it's my responsibility :)

I bet 3 cts that mostly men filled the files and mostly the foreigners :P

Where are you from back in France? I am from Bordeaux.

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=97300&st=0

You loose!

62% females!

I'm still in France. Unfortunatly.

I'm a journey beginner. :)

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=97300&st=0

You loose!

62% females!

I'm still in France. Unfortunatly.

I'm a journey beginner. :)

Damn it!! I suspect you of being aware of the existence of this poll before asking the question here :yes: :yes:

I (the USC) handled it all for my husband simply because I am better at paperwork. Nothing else.

Ditto!

Technically I guess it's my husband's "responsibility" since he's the immigrant and it's his status that's at stake, but realistically I'm just better at that stuff. He does the photocopying and actual mailings... I do the organizing and writing part of it :)

Though I did tell hubby that after he becomes a U.S. citizen this week, it'll be his responsibility to handle the paperwork for maintaining his Philippine citizenship. Now let's see what actually happens! I might just get impatient with his procrastination and fill in all the forms myself :rofl:

Edited by l.j./1999

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I'm the USC and a female and I've done all of the work regarding the visa process. This is mostly due to the fact that my husband's English isn't advanced enough to drudge through all of the detailed instruction packets (hell, sometimes I feel as if MY English isn't advanced enough to understand some of this stuff, lol.) I'm naturally more organized than he is--I'm a total planner/list-maker--so it just makes sense that we'd capitalize on our different strengths and weaknesses. He makes up for it by being really helpful in other areas so I don't ever feel resentful or as if I do much more than he does.

My husband is from South America and although they do use debit and credit cards down there he has never had one himself so everything regarding bank accounts and overdraft fees is fairly new to him as well. I just made sure to tell him that he has to log on to his bank account frequently and make sure that he has enough funds before using his debit card. But even if I hadn't had that conversation with him I think it would entirely be his responsability to make sure he isn't overdrawing his account. To be honest though, sometimes it is frustrating because there are so many things that come naturally to a US citizen that he has to be taught and at times I feel like I'm married to a child. But then I remind myself that this is part of the bargain that I signed up for. If it were so important to me that my partner know how to do things as an adult USC would then I should have married a USC. Besides, this is only a phase of our relationship and although he has a lot to learn and adapt to at the beginning it won't be like this forever. I also have to remind myself about how patient, understanding, and helpful he was when I was living in Chile and dealing with the culture shock of daily tasks that seemed foreign to me, so it's only fair that I extend him the same courtesy.

We make a conscious effort to regularly remind ourselves that we are in this together as a team and that it is us against the world instead of us against one another. It's really important, I think, because this process is complicated and stressful and can easily wear a couple down.

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of. ~Blaise Pascal

I (the USC) handled it all for my husband simply because I am better at paperwork. Nothing else.

Same here. Every couple needs to work out their system.

Calendars - wall or PDA or an excel spreadsheet -- are the best.

Maybe you (OP) should be meeting quarterly to discuss things coming up -- like school, holidays, appts, etc.

Good Luck!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
Calendars - wall or PDA or an excel spreadsheet -- are the best.

Absolutely! I have a lot of debt that I accrued before we were married and although I'm dead set on paying it off myself my husband has made it clear that he sees it as OUR debt and our task to get rid of it together. Unfortunately I have it spread across a few different cards and I really felt as if he just didn't fully understand our financial situation because although he was aware of the debt and the payments we make each month he never really saw them since I'm the one who pays the bills. All he really saw was the money coming in. So we bought an erasable wall calandar and we write both of our schedules on it as well as any appointments that are coming up and the due dates of all bills. It's up on the wall for easy, hands-free access and it's really helped keep us on the same page.

We also have a full year wall calandar so we can keep track of deadlines or obligations further down the road. It's been a lifesaver and has helped relieve a lot of our relationship stress.

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of. ~Blaise Pascal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
he should do the housewife
Sounds like fun for both, si man! :lol:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.