esoll

Travel ban

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree the things we have to go thru during this process is ridiculous and the amount of money that is spent :( ......but those are the rules.....we dont like them but they obviously don't care.....I wish there was something else you could do :blush:

Edited by Haymsmorgan

Love has no boundaries, no limitations. Love flows like a river, silent and calm, it gives us strength and shelters us from every storm.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I am debating a point that does not makes all of a lot sense but for those that decided to pass personal attacks is not cool. All I am saying is the immigrant are not regarded much higher than a convict that just got released from jail and have been told not to leave the country. This is my feeling about this and I believe any person regardless of its nationality should be able to travel were ever he/she pleases without this ridiculous ban that accomplishes noting. After all most K1 are making real sacrifices, leaving everything behind and this ban is not here to help.

At the interview I am going to raise this point and if the interviewer denies my petition on my beliefs and not on its merit, then what do you think it will show about this person or the USCI! I believe most persons at USCI are decent and open to discussion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Free of our moves is not a privilege (given by somebody because we are nice) but rather a right and at this moment I have to make many concessions around my life just because this moving restriction that was imposed to us..

I wish to know one good reason why a K1 can't travel abroad after the first entry. I take it all back if I can have one good valid reason.

I think you're forgetting that every country in the world controls who can and cannot enter their borders (perhaps not effectively, but they try). People of certain nationalities are allowed by the US to enter more freely than others but every single foreign person being inspected to enter every country in the world is given permission to enter (or denied, as the case may be). I know being from a western nation with good relations to the rest of the world, you're probably under the impression that travel is easy and a right you have, but the simple fact is it is not. Just ask someone from Morocco or even South Africa. That's why we have visas.

As has been stated before, you do have the ability to leave. Just not to come back easily.

Filed: Timeline

What you, me, or anyone else thinks is worth nothing in this process. It is what it is, unfair, ugly, sad, long, delayed, yada yada yada. Fiancee visas are a one entry visa, with the only purpose of:

1. Getting married within 90 days

2. Filing for adjustment of status.

End of story. If you wanted a multiple entry visa, you could have gotten married in Switzerland and file for a K-3 or a CR-1. You didn't. Deal. Like I said before, and with the best of intentions: do not get into a pissing match at your interview. You WILL loose; and put your future in jeopardy: hardly worth a freakout if you consider the rest of your life.

There's laws in place for a reason.

I don't take it as them treating us like prisoners or anything. They are, after all letting us live in their country.

So what if it takes a few months to get your status adjusted and get a green card? That's nothing compared to the actual waiting for the original visa to get in.

And they did give us a way to come back in if we really needed to travel, AP. I don't know about you, but that's not imprisoning us. That's helping us if we really need to leave again for any reason.

So, just file for AP if you really need to leave and come back? It's an option there for you.

And really, complaining to an interviewer about it will only make you look bad. Do you really want to get your AOS denied for such a matter they can do nothing about at their level?

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
What you, me, or anyone else thinks is worth nothing in this process. It is what it is, unfair, ugly, sad, long, delayed, yada yada yada. Fiancee visas are a one entry visa, with the only purpose of:

1. Getting married within 90 days

2. Filing for adjustment of status.

End of story. If you wanted a multiple entry visa, you could have gotten married in Switzerland and file for a K-3 or a CR-1. You didn't. Deal. Like I said before, and with the best of intentions: do not get into a pissing match at your interview. You WILL loose; and put your future in jeopardy: hardly worth a freakout if you consider the rest of your life.

Well said! :thumbs:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Free of our moves is not a privilege (given by somebody because we are nice) but rather a right and at this moment I have to make many concessions around my life just because this moving restriction that was imposed to us..

I wish to know one good reason why a K1 can't travel abroad after the first entry. I take it all back if I can have one good valid reason.

Actually, immigration is not a right, it's a privilege. Rules are rules.

I see the reasoning though. When you enter the United States as a K1 visa holder, it is 1 time use. You're main purpose is to go there and get married and adjust status to that of a green card holder. Between getting married and filing AOS, you are in limbo...you are technically no longer a resident of the country you came from, and you status is the US is no longer that of a visa holder until you get AP/EAD/AOS.

The K1 visa makes sense as well being 1 time use. You have 90 days to get married after you enter on a K1... if they made it multi-entry, how would they be able to control the 90 days aspect to the visa. The main purpose of attaining a K1 visa is to come to the United States to get married and settle here as an immigrant.

If traveling is something that you want to do, then perhaps you should looking to obtaining a different kind of visa that suits your needs.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

(If you simply want to argue/debate about it, you're kind of preaching to the choir here...)

Timeline

I don't take it as them treating us like prisoners or anything. They are, after all letting us live in their country.

So what if it takes a few months to get your status adjusted and get a green card? That's nothing compared to the actual waiting for the original visa to get in.

And they did give us a way to come back in if we really needed to travel, AP. I don't know about you, but that's not imprisoning us. That's helping us if we really need to leave again for any reason.

So, just file for AP if you really need to leave and come back? It's an option there for you.

And really, complaining to an interviewer about it will only make you look bad. Do you really want to get your AOS denied for such a matter they can do nothing about at their level?

I do not have an issue about managing immigration into our country or from/to any other countries. it is a protection that became clear 9 years ago. But I am seeing some arogance from this process and our government seems to forget this country has been built by past immigrants and I believe the US desperatly needs more of them now, to sustain growth for instance. We all know here for having a foreign spouse that it is a plus in our society and I am seeing this travel ban as unnecessary and counter productive. Should we accept it, no! Should we live with it , probably!

However law can be changed and I don't believe having an issue whis this travel ban and expressing it to USCI will land me into the denied basket. USCI can deny my petition based on the merit of my application and only on its merit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
USCI can deny my petition based on the merit of my application and only on its merit.

I think you're having a problem differentiating between reality and theory. If you want to take that chance, then good luck. This whole discussion is going in circles now and seems to have run its course anyway.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Actually, immigration is not a right, it's a privilege. Rules are rules.

I see the reasoning though. When you enter the United States as a K1 visa holder, it is 1 time use. You're main purpose is to go there and get married and adjust status to that of a green card holder. Between getting married and filing AOS, you are in limbo...you are technically no longer a resident of the country you came from, and you status is the US is no longer that of a visa holder until you get AP/EAD/AOS.

The K1 visa makes sense as well being 1 time use. You have 90 days to get married after you enter on a K1... if they made it multi-entry, how would they be able to control the 90 days aspect to the visa. The main purpose of attaining a K1 visa is to come to the United States to get married and settle here as an immigrant.

If traveling is something that you want to do, then perhaps you should looking to obtaining a different kind of visa that suits your needs.

yes, A k1 should have its travel ban lifted as soon as you marry. That will make more sense. To check the 90 days, look at the date of the first entry, The K1 we have has two dates, the first entry and 90 days later. Those are the dates we should base our time line with and a ban has no real place or purpose in this.

I do not have an issue about managing immigration into our country or from/to any other countries. it is a protection that became clear 9 years ago. But I am seeing some arogance from this process and our government seems to forget this country has been built by past immigrants and I believe the US desperatly needs more of them now, to sustain growth for instance. We all know here for having a foreign spouse that it is a plus in our society and I am seeing this travel ban as unnecessary and counter productive. Should we accept it, no! Should we live with it , probably!

However law can be changed and I don't believe having an issue whis this travel ban and expressing it to USCI will land me into the denied basket. USCI can deny my petition based on the merit of my application and only on its merit.

Ack. This whole immigration process is one of tears, trantrums and annoyance. Your one of the lucky ones. At least you got the visa. Many people didn't / are still waiting and there are some very patient and compassionate people on this website who have waited years to be with their loved ones because of this awful process. They would literally give their left arm to be in the position you are right now.

So pardon us, the VJ community, for not feeling all that sorry for you that you have to wait between 50-60 days to travel. You made your bed (by choosing the K1 visa) and now, sadly....you have to lie in it. Other options were open to you, you didn't take them.

I hope you dont get quite so frustrated about other aspects of the process. You are very likely to give yourself a stomach ulcer if that is the case.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ut oh I can see the medical questions concerning mental health being problematical for some people :rolleyes:

Edited by familyguy
lolfs.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
and on my interview I will let them know what I think about this..

:lol: I'm sure that will accomplish a lot besides pissing off the interviewer who holds your fate in his or her hands.

WOW! You will end up back HOME being able to travel anytime you want just not to the USA!

We mailed our package on June 9th 2009.

NOA notice date: June 17th

I-130 and I-765 touched: July 1st (but not I-130)

Biometrics: July 9th CANCELLED

Biometrics: July 18th completed

I-485 & I-765 touched: July 20th & 21st

Received interview notice: August 8th

EAD production ordered: August 12th

EAD CARD received: August 17th

EAD Approval notice sent: August 17th

INTERVIEW: SEPTEMBER 8TH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.