8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Firstly, Hi everyone.. i'm new here.. within the last 2 minutes actually lol. I hope to find out all the information i need to get start on our journey!

Thank you for having me here :)

Currently i'm 3 months pregnant with my boyfriends baby.. (he is a US citizen).. I am a british citizen.

I have so many questions but i will start with the most simple..

Which Visa would you recommend i apply for in order to move to the US?

i also have questions about the baby's involvement..

when he/she is born in england.. with myself and my boyfriend not being married, will he still be able to sign the birth certificate and the baby take his name?

also, what is the best way to apply for US citizenship for our baby?.. i know nothing on the subject and am quite worried about it all!..

would it make more sense to apply for a US passport for the baby.. or a british one?

and final question.. we are planning on my partner coming here for a few weeks before the due date and staying for about a month after the baby has been born.. will he need any type of visa or will he be ok coming over on the visa waiver?

thank you in advance for any type of information you can give me, like i said.. we are all new to this and are just trying to get a grip on some of it!

thank you :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

See this page on the US embassy/London website regarding reporting the birth: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/acs/p...childindex.html

You cannot simply move to the US. Your boyfriend would have to become your fiance or husband and he would have to file a petition for you to move to the US. Both of you should read the Guides here on VJ. Look at the info regarding K1 visa (fiance) or CR1 visa (spouse).

To answer a very common question: having a child together does not make the visa / immigration process any quicker or easier.

He should be able to come and visit you on the visa waiver program.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would recomend the K-1 fiance visa. He, obviously, needs to be your fiance and not your boyfriend (sadly no boyfriend visas) and you can file as soon as today. It is a bit quicker than any spousal visa.

As long as your boyfriend meets the residency requirements then your child can have US citizenship - but it must be filed when the child is born. If you intend to move to the US with your boyfriend, then it makes more sense for the child to have US citizenship however you might want to look into dual citizenship as well, although the US does not recognize dual citizens, it might be beneficial for the child to also have british citizenship if travel to the UK will be in the child's future.

As stated earlier, having a baby with a USC does nothing to speed up or facilitate the visa process

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As you do your research regarding the best visa for you (and your present child ) be sure to determine all of the costs (fees, etc.) involved. This is not a cheap undertaking and you wouldn't want to get get into a tight situation part way through.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
As you do your research regarding the best visa for you (and your present child ) be sure to determine all of the costs (fees, etc.) involved. This is not a cheap undertaking and you wouldn't want to get get into a tight situation part way through.

ah yes, I realise it's not cheap... but myself and my partner are willing to do whatever it takes to be together (the power of love!). thank you again :)

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline
As long as your boyfriend meets the residency requirements then your child can have US citizenship - but it must be filed when the child is born. If you intend to move to the US with your boyfriend, then it makes more sense for the child to have US citizenship however you might want to look into dual citizenship as well, although the US does not recognize dual citizens, it might be beneficial for the child to also have british citizenship if travel to the UK will be in the child's future.

I just want to add, that if you are not married at the time of the baby's birth, you will have to prove that your boyfirend is the father for the baby to get citizenship.. a DNA test will probably be required and I don't know how long it might take till the baby gets the US passport. It might be simpler for the baby to come on K-2 as your child

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

I just want to add, that if you are not married at the time of the baby's birth, you will have to prove that your boyfirend is the father for the baby to get citizenship.. a DNA test will probably be required and I don't know how long it might take till the baby gets the US passport. It might be simpler for the baby to come on K-2 as your child

Maybe, maybe not on the blood test. I would make sure your boyfriend's name is on the baby's BC. They really look at this. You are more likley to have to have proof without it.

Edited by brownnskinn

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.