Emily and Gareth

Cheapest way to send money back to Uk???

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I was just wondering if anybody knows the cheapest way to send money back to the Uk to cover any bills that I cant pay off before I leave???

I anticipate having to send money home every couple of months for the first year until I get settled in the states.

I have heard of Western Union but I have also heard that they can be quite expensive??

I know I can electronically wire money from a Uk account to another Uk account. Is it possible to wire money from a US bank to a UK bank for free or cheaply?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

www.xe.com

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

hey www.xoom.com

is free for the entire month of july

just use coupon JULYREMIT

and thats it

good luck

u still have one more day

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Timeline
hey www.xoom.com

is free for the entire month of july

just use coupon JULYREMIT

and thats it

good luck

u still have one more day

abby n sheryl

Nothing is free, they make their money 2 ways, direct fees and their margin from the mid market rate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I remember having to send money home when I was working in Australia. I did it in the bank and it cost me something ridiculous like $120 Australian dollars...

Both way definitely beat the banks and western unions prices so thanks guys.

Xe seems great. Almost too good to be true!

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

I remember having to send money home when I was working in Australia. I did it in the bank and it cost me something ridiculous like $120 Australian dollars...

Both way definitely beat the banks and western unions prices so thanks guys.

Xe seems great. Almost too good to be true!

Paypal?

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Exactly, paypal is the way to go for sure. Just beware, my Irish hubby got super pissed off because he was trying to create an account using his Irish bank account, for some reason they wouldn't authenticate his account without all sorts of documentation. Probably not much easier in NI.

K-1

9-5-08 Sent I-129F via FedEx

9-13-08 NOA1

12-24-08 NOA2

6-11-09 Civil Ceremony

AOS

7-7-09 Mailed AOS

7-27-09 TRANSFERRED TO CSC

8-29-09 EAD card production ordered/AP Notice Approved

11-9-09 Green Card production ordered

11-19-09 Green Card arrived!

Nov. 2010 Vacation Ireland!

11-9-11 Removal of Conditions

I was just wondering if anybody knows the cheapest way to send money back to the Uk to cover any bills that I cant pay off before I leave???

I anticipate having to send money home every couple of months for the first year until I get settled in the states.

I have heard of Western Union but I have also heard that they can be quite expensive??

I know I can electronically wire money from a Uk account to another Uk account. Is it possible to wire money from a US bank to a UK bank for free or cheaply?

My husband has used a SWIFT transfer from his bank (Royal Bank of Scotland) to mine in USA. It cost something like 20 pounds for him to send and me about 15.00 to recieve. It takes a week. Can you use your bank debit card or checks to make payments?

Timeline

My husband has used a SWIFT transfer from his bank (Royal Bank of Scotland) to mine in USA. It cost something like 20 pounds for him to send and me about 15.00 to recieve. It takes a week. Can you use your bank debit card or checks to make payments?

What is the margin over mid market?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Moneygrams at Wal-mart. I don't know about the area where you live, but from where I live it is a flat 11.00 to send money overseas. It is very easy!

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.