inhopeofglory

Visiting SO during K-1 process... stories/advice please?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is Texas the best advice I can give is bring an interpreter to understand what the heck they are asking you. :P

Serious answer is you should not have any problems., but as always there are no guarantees in life.

IAH is one the better POE in my experience and they are well disposed to you guys. Several years ago I entered the USA on an average of 30+ times per year and never had a problem; as other posters have said do not volunteer information that is not specifically asked of you,

lolfs.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you read the time lines here there isnt that big of wait for a interview after packet 3 in London, people are getting their interviews in , maybe 2 months..woooooo looong wait..........read the data....there is also a thread for the London embassy interview people so you get their timelines too...sooo by the time you get your medical and stuff you know..its not that bad....not meant to be a rant btw..but do some research please, it will make you feel better and you will come out with more knowledge about the process.

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My SO just spent the last 3 months with me! I was sooo worried about her being turned away when she got here. I guess not much advice in my post but for me it was nice to see people who had success. I know we are not your same situation but i think you have a leg up being your from UK. Its a little more of a challenge for Middle Eastern, North Africa, Chinese or any former communist block country to slip by.

Good Luck

Timeline

In reply to the original request. There should be no issues traveling to see your fiance'(ee') up to and during the point of recieving packet 3.

My packet 3 arrived two weeks before a pre booked final visit to the USA to spend some time with my loved one and to help with wedding plans and had a couple of questions asked by the border guard.

I have never been shy in the 5 times since we became engaged while visiting the states, to say I was spending time with my future wife and told them we were going through the K1 process. which oddly always seemed to result in an odd and knowing smile & nod then had my passport stampted and away I went.

I have never had issues getting into the country. And I suspect that our K1 appeared on ther screens when my passport was scanned but that is only guess work on my behalf.

My policy is to be honest and open and its always worked for me.

Timeline
In reply to the original request. There should be no issues traveling to see your fiance'(ee') up to and during the point of recieving packet 3.

My packet 3 arrived two weeks before a pre booked final visit to the USA to spend some time with my loved one and to help with wedding plans and had a couple of questions asked by the border guard.

I have never been shy in the 5 times since we became engaged while visiting the states, to say I was spending time with my future wife and told them we were going through the K1 process. which oddly always seemed to result in an odd and knowing smile & nod then had my passport stampted and away I went.

I have never had issues getting into the country. And I suspect that our K1 appeared on ther screens when my passport was scanned but that is only guess work on my behalf.

My policy is to be honest and open and its always worked for me.

p.s.

With regards to the visa wait times. You need to factor in a 9 month process from start to finish. For some its longer and others it's sooner. but 9 months is a healthy estamation. As you will see from our timeline. We submitted December 1st last year with view to getting the visa around July time. Providing all of your paperwork is in order.

Interview times will also be dictated depending on when you plan to travel. We sent in our packet 3 nearly 2 months ago but wont be planning to travel till October hence why I have had such a late interview date ( this friday ) instead of last month.

Hope this helps. :)

Hola,

I considered the same thing. Due to a minor issue with the Affidavit of Support and strange delays from the USPS, I started the K-1 process in January 2006 and made it over here in October 2006. My fiancee's birthday was in September and the delays made me miss it - which was our big goal.

I contacted the London Embassy and explained the situation. I managed to dig this out. This is what they had to say to me in late August 2006 (after I had attended the K1 interview and was just waiting on a notarized document from my fiancee to arrive) - please bear in mind, this is three years ago now and things might have changed:

"As you have already attended an interview for a K-1 visa and you are in the final stages of the process it would not be advisable to attempt to travel to the United States.

If you do wish to make a temporary non-working visit to the U.S. while your application for a fiancé(e) visa is being processed you may travel on a B-2 (holiday) visa, or visa free under the Visa Waiver Program if otherwise qualified. You should carry with you evidence that you intend to depart the U.S. at the end of your stay and return to your residence in the U.K. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the United States sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of his/her stay. If U.S. immigration are not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for pleasure you can be denied entry.

If you travel to the United States and are denied entry then on your return to the United States the consular officer will require a copy of the report from the immigration official at the port of entry. This will delay the processing of your application. "

What I did was to call the $LOTS helpline and ask a question they couldn't answer and so they had to pass it to the London Embassy. After a few days, they replied with the above.

I hope it works out for you...and, again, please bear in mind this is three years' ago.

Mark

I think you're on the right track, you already know about the return ticket, NOA1 and employer letters. Nik has used all three to great effect, and I highly recommend having all on hand if possible.

Also, shorter trips are easier than longer ones. Not sure how long you are planning this visit to last.

I would also mention that even though you're coming on VWP, and will most likely be let in, just be mentally prepared for a secondary interview. Nik has been pulled in every single time, but always passed through in the end. Just having that in mind will make it easier to get through if it's not a surprise!

Nik has always wound up telling the POE officer of his relationship with me, and they let him in all three times (5 days, 88 days - traveling together this time -, 16 days).

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

after I had attended the K1 interview

If you travel to the United States and are denied entry then on your return to the United States the consular officer will require a copy of the report from the immigration official at the port of entry. This will delay the processing of your application. "

Mark,

I can see why having a denial of entry on your record so close to the end would delay your K1. I do not believe that having a denial of entry prior to the Embassy's initial investigation would hinder you.

I imagine that at some point they do a search to determine if you have any bans or denials, and if you try to travel after they do that search - I imagine very close to your K1 interview, which would have been before your travel in this unique circumstance quoted - then it would cause them to do it over again. Also, I'm sure there must be some delay in the POE officer's report being uploaded into an easily searchable database.

At the point in the process where the OP is, they are not proposing that they add new information to an investigation which is already complete - in the OPs circumstance, they are adding information which hasn't been assessed yet, so wouldn't cause any delays down the line. Does that make sense?

I think we can all agree that after a certain point in the process, you can no longer visit, but as you point out, that is pretty late.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Makes sense to me, yeah. However, I vaguely recall being advised on here (but I can't find the topic) that once you've started the process, it's not a good idea to visit. The logic being that you have already shown your desire to immigrate and the officer at the PoE might have a hard time being convinced that you are visited temporarily and not trying to overstay, etc.

This is anecdotal, I know. And, whereas I'm sure it's easy to explain away the denial of entry in the unlikely event of it happening, I'm sure it's not good to do so, even if it's flagged up early in the process. Of course, the candidate will have to try and convince the immigration officer who is reviewing the petition (as well as the POE officer) that they WEREN'T trying immigrate illegally :). Personally, being the anxious type, I would err on the side of caution...it would have meant almost the world to me to be with my fiancee for her birthday but decided it was better to think long-term...just IMO

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

The border agents at airport immigrations are not aware that an I129f or K1 application is in process.

The biggest determining factor as to whether or not one will be admitted on the VWP is frequency and duration of previous visits. For example, if you have had 3 90 visits within the last 12 months with only a few weeks back in the UK in between, a 4th attempt will likely be futile. If you have shorter visits, you will likely be admitted without issue.

No one here can tell you for sure what will happen, but it sounds as if you haven't had a lot of long visits to the US. If that is the case, you should be admitted, regardless of your POE.

Timeline
I would also mention that even though you're coming on VWP, and will most likely be let in, just be mentally prepared for a secondary interview. Nik has been pulled in every single time, but always passed through in the end. Just having that in mind will make it easier to get through if it's not a surprise!

Nik has always wound up telling the POE officer of his relationship with me, and they let him in all three times (5 days, 88 days - traveling together this time -, 16 days).

I'm thinking of going for ten days, not long. My previous two trips back in January and March were of similar length.

Do you know what questions Nik was asked when he was pulled in for second interview, and how he answered? I am convinced that honesty is always the best way, but I don't want to provoke needless questions...

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far - it's much appreciated!

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-31

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-28

IV-15 Received by Consulate : 2009-10-27

Interview : 2009-12-01 - APPROVED!

POE : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-03-29

AOS, EAD, AP sent : 2010-05-27

AP received : 2010-07-29

EAD received : 2010-08-05

Green Card received : 2010-09-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm thinking of going for ten days, not long. My previous two trips back in January and March were of similar length.

Do you know what questions Nik was asked when he was pulled in for second interview, and how he answered? I am convinced that honesty is always the best way, but I don't want to provoke needless questions...

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far - it's much appreciated!

I think the best way to go about it is not to offer any info that you don't need to explain. Try to answer with close ended answers if possible. like "Yes" or "No" Always be honest. Some people get nervous and start telling the officer their life story and you may be giving the officer ammo for his gun so to speak. If questioned, reply politely, confident, and keep it simple, also remind the officer that you must return to take care of your affairs back home and never use words or phrases like "I'm going to be living/staying with my S/O" try to use the word "visit/visiting" or "tourist/tourism".

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Timeline

Gary_UK, when you say you "have never been shy" about mentioning your K-1, do you mean to say that you volunteered the information (e.g. when the CO asks "why are you entering the US?")?

On another point mentioned, I'm currently considering making this visit to my SO in mid-late September, which potentially is a good month after we (may) get our NOA2. Is that too late in the process to be "safe"?

K-1 Visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
...and/or delaying or stopping our visa application.

I'm not a Brit nor have I ever tried to enter through IAH but I can tell you this... being denied entry to the USA provided you are honest will not affect your visa application, least of all 'stop' it.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Timeline

Can you remember what you were asked? How did that occasion differ in the questioning/attitude of the CO to the previous 4 occasions?

K-1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.