yabasta

U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident

19 posts in this topic

I am just curious how many people from the U.K. have ,or intend to, become U.S. citizens.

I am not sure to be honest if either really matters in the big scheme of things.

So i wondered what are the benefits? I don`t mean in terms of financial really but if there are financial benefits i would like to know. ha.

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/becoming.htm That's about it :hehe: ! Tim will be applying number one to relieve our co-sponsor sooner, number two he plans on living here the remainder of his life.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

I'm applying as soon as I can too - next year! One, so I don't have any hassles from immigration, and don't have to hand them any more cash. Two, so we can go back to live in the UK as soon as I get it and I won't be abandoning a GC and all those hassles trying to travel back. If I was intending to stay here the rest of my life, I probably wouldn't bother with becoming a citizen.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I am just curious how many people from the U.K. have ,or intend to, become U.S. citizens.

I am not sure to be honest if either really matters in the big scheme of things.

So i wondered what are the benefits? I don`t mean in terms of financial really but if there are financial benefits i would like to know. ha.

Working at Heathrow I meet quite a few people who get deported from the USA for a variety of reasons. The US along with Australia seem to have the most harsh and eagerly applied deportation laws for people who are not US citizens which seems to me a very good reason to protect yourself by becoming one. You just never know if the day will come when circumstances beyond your control will come back to bite you.

Also having gone through all the hoops to become a LPR why not go the extra mile to make sure you can fully participate the US way of life and enjoy all its privilages, or which the right to vote is surely the greatest of those.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Well voting is not important to me but yeah i guess i should get as much protection as i can get.

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

Filed: Timeline
Well voting is not important to me but yeah i guess i should get as much protection as i can get.

Now see, thist suprises me greatly. I would assume one who is so vocal with the state of affairs would not be apathetic enough to not be bothered to vote.

It is not apathy though. It is lack of anything worth my vote, nothing to pick between any of the parties.

Edited by yabasta

Like many of the others here, I'm going to apply for Citizenship as soon as I can, because my Husband and I would like to go and live over in the UK. But would also like the option of returning to the US without having to go through the hassles of the USCIS again. We'd also like all of our (ourselves and kids when we have them) to have the same dual-citizenship. :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My UKC is up for his USC this month. Why?

-Practicalities. It kills the I-864(s). It frees us up to live/travel the way we've planned (stay outside the country as long as we want). He's no longer removable in case Something Bad happens. The majority of our estate belonged to me initially; the Estate Tax is much harsher for surviving non_USC spouses.

-Realities. This is where we live. He gave up England a long time ago and has no desire to return, no family left there. Our family is in the US. His personality is such that he likes to 'belong' wherever he is. After modifying his vocabulary, this is the most obvious thing he can do to say 'I'm one of you'.

He's not been much of a voter, but I have several months yet to beat him into submission on that topic. I really disagree with what you said about that, yabasta. Choosing between two parties for a job you know little about is only the start of it.

First of all, as a registered voter and legitimate citizen, you get a say of which two losers make it to the final race--if you care to get involved before November elections day, and in many states, including mine, many laws are written and acted in *by the people* via a petitioning or 'initiative' process.

Part of the naturalization process is studying the US government and how it's made up. I know some of it bores the DAH, but I feel better explaining how the parts are related, why they are there (historical context) and how that structure relates to much of the news of the day (ahem, 3 *separate* branches of governement, Washington DC!).

Plus, it's cool to be dual. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
After modifying his vocabulary, this is the most obvious thing he can do to say 'I'm one of you'.

I will, but modifying my vocabulary - I think not.

What's wrong with his current vocabulary? Too much Estuary?

Still be supporting Engerland in 2010.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

There are differences regarding inheritance tax and surviving spouse social security benefits. There is a definite advantage to citizenship vs. PR.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Well i will probably go with dual citizenship. Do i have to just update my UK passport for this?

I will leave the voting to those who think it matters who you vote for.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Well i will probably go with dual citizenship. Do i have to just update my UK passport for this?

I will leave the voting to those who think it matters who you vote for.

You dopn't have to inform the UK of anything with respect to getting another citz.. They don't care... in their eyes you're a UK citizen only just as in the US government's eye, you're a US Citizen only.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

I will be applying to become a citizen as soon as I can.... because once your are a citizen you no longer have to deal with USCIS.... and being from the UK I can still keep my British passport and have dual citizenship....

Kezzie

:thumbs: Me too

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.