LunaticFringe

A few pre-immigration questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi. I am a new member. American woman married to an Egyptian and living in Egypt. We have been married one year. We have not started the immigration process yet - plan to relocate to the States in 2 to 3 years. We will begin the filing process about 1 year before we know for sure we are ready to move. However, I have begun to research this topic and found this forum. I have a few questions at this point:

1. I have been living in Egypt since Feb of 2008. I am unemployed. I filed no tax return in 2009 due to the fact I had no income in 2008. By the time we file for immigration, I won't have any income tax returns to submit for recent years due to the fact that I don't work here. But I see that one of the requirements is to submit income tax returns for the previous 3 years. How will this work if I have none? Will they accept my last filings from 2005 to 2007 if we don't even start our immigration process until 2011?

2. Due to the fact that I am unemployed, will I be able to sponsor my husband because I notice that there are income requirements. I saw somewhere that for every $30,000 in the bank you are giving $10,000 credit for income. What is the income requirement for a family of 2? Does that mean I will have to have upwards of $100,000 in the bank in order to meet the income requirement?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here is a great place to also ask your questions there are members here who have been through Egypt

MENA

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi. I am a new member. American woman married to an Egyptian and living in Egypt. We have been married one year. We have not started the immigration process yet - plan to relocate to the States in 2 to 3 years. We will begin the filing process about 1 year before we know for sure we are ready to move. However, I have begun to research this topic and found this forum. I have a few questions at this point:

1. I have been living in Egypt since Feb of 2008. I am unemployed. I filed no tax return in 2009 due to the fact I had no income in 2008. By the time we file for immigration, I won't have any income tax returns to submit for recent years due to the fact that I don't work here. But I see that one of the requirements is to submit income tax returns for the previous 3 years. How will this work if I have none? Will they accept my last filings from 2005 to 2007 if we don't even start our immigration process until 2011?

2. Due to the fact that I am unemployed, will I be able to sponsor my husband because I notice that there are income requirements. I saw somewhere that for every $30,000 in the bank you are giving $10,000 credit for income. What is the income requirement for a family of 2? Does that mean I will have to have upwards of $100,000 in the bank in order to meet the income requirement?

1) no, you will need current year (from whatever the most recent year is based on your filing) will be needed. So in 2011 you will be asked for 2010 return

2) almost... 125% of the poverty limit based on family size... these amounts change annually. If 125% for a family of two was $25k, you need at least $75K in assets

It appears you are or will be eligible to file abroad. You may wish to consider filing you paperwork directly with the US Consulate in Cairo. It typically is muich faster than a stateside filed petition. Learn about DCF. This process maybe only months instead of almost a year.

YMMV

Timeline

1) no, you will need current year (from whatever the most recent year is based on your filing) will be needed. So in 2011 you will be asked for 2010 return

2) almost... 125% of the poverty limit based on family size... these amounts change annually. If 125% for a family of two was $25k, you need at least $75K in assets

It appears you are or will be eligible to file abroad. You may wish to consider filing you paperwork directly with the US Consulate in Cairo. It typically is muich faster than a stateside filed petition. Learn about DCF. This process maybe only months instead of almost a year.

Yeah, we will be doing the DCF, however, my concern is that I have stopped filing US Federal income Tax returns in 2008 because I don't work here in Egypt.

Maybe I was given the wrong information, but I looked at the IRS website and it said YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE AN INCOME TAX RETURN AT ALL IF YOU HAVE NO INCOME. So this is what I am doing - not filing. Therefore I will have no income tax returns at all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, we will be doing the DCF, however, my concern is that I have stopped filing US Federal income Tax returns in 2008 because I don't work here in Egypt.

Maybe I was given the wrong information, but I looked at the IRS website and it said YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE AN INCOME TAX RETURN AT ALL IF YOU HAVE NO INCOME. So this is what I am doing - not filing. Therefore I will have no income tax returns at all.

then you will have to indicate to the consusulate as to the reasons why (and there are valid reasons).... However, then it makes the financial supportability requirement a bit more challenging as then you will need to rely on assets or a co-sponsor.....

YMMV

Timeline

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.

then you will have to indicate to the consusulate as to the reasons why (and there are valid reasons).... However, then it makes the financial supportability requirement a bit more challenging as then you will need to rely on assets or a co-sponsor.....

Edited by LunaticFringe

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hypotethical question.

Circumstances.............

Live overseas with spouse for couple of years.

Not sufficient income for filing tax return.

At 62 years begin to collect social security

Social security plus small pension is 140% of poverty line for 2 persons

Question(s)

How soon after bginning to collect social security can one file? Must US citizen wait for full year??

Thanks

Hi!

Im going through all this right now, I as you have no income for the past three years as I did not work here. I have been married for two years and we have a baby girl..What I did is filled out the 1 864 then my mom also filled one out as she owns her house free and clear and my brother filled out 1864a we are almost done with our packet 3 I will let you know what happens when I send it in..

I think as long as you have a sponsor you will be fine..

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Hi!

Im going through all this right now, I as you have no income for the past three years as I did not work here. I have been married for two years and we have a baby girl..What I did is filled out the 1 864 then my mom also filled one out as she owns her house free and clear and my brother filled out 1864a we are almost done with our packet 3 I will let you know what happens when I send it in..

I am the "person" who is the US citizen and will in 3 years begin to collect my social security at 62 years of age. I am exploring my options. I do not have family here who would be in any position to help. Thus what I am wondering is this. Assuming that I begin collecting my social security at 62, how soon after that time wold it be reasonable to begin the visa process for her to return to the USA with me. The social security payment record would be indicaive of future guaranteed payments. That plus my small pension would be about 140% of the defined poverty line.

To put it another way, would I need to have 1 year's of social security before I could file for the visa?

Thanks

Hi!

I am the "person" who is the US citizen and will in 3 years begin to collect my social security at 62 years of age. I am exploring my options. I do not have family here who would be in any position to help. Thus what I am wondering is this. Assuming that I begin collecting my social security at 62, how soon after that time wold it be reasonable to begin the visa process for her to return to the USA with me. The social security payment record would be indicaive of future guaranteed payments. That plus my small pension would be about 140% of the defined poverty line.

To put it another way, would I need to have 1 year's of social security before I could file for the visa?

Thanks

You can apply for a IR-1 DCF visa probably 2 or 3 months before you start collecting SS. Your main problem may be establishing domicle in the US.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.