ToLoveAndBeLoved

Consequences of claiming UNEMPLOYMENT benefit !

7 posts in this topic

Hello VJers:

I lost my job rather company was shut down and everybody lost job. Everybody is ready to file for UNEMPLOYMENT this week. I want to claim UNEMPLOYMENT, too. I have been paying my taxes for the last 5 years. But, I am confused now as I heard rumors from so many people that if you claim unemployment or any benefit from the GOVERNMENT, you could be denied citizenship or your application to sponsorship( in my case , my mom) could be affected, even may be REJECTED. I am not sure about it as I really want to confirm this issue, before I go for claiming unemployment if I have to. I can live hand to mouth or even work odd jobs to take care of my wife and our bills and take no benefit from the state or federal, if that could in anyways HURT my N-400( Will file on Spetember 20, 2009) application or to sponsor my mother in future. Anyone here at VJ, who was in an immigrant status, had ever claimed UNEMPLOYMENT while applying for N-400, would enlighten me please. I would really appreciate anyone's input here. Thank you so much in advance for reading my topic. I dont know if it was too stupid to ask or to laugh about, but I apologize for that.

Good Luck

ToLoveAndBeloved

unemployment benefits are not like welfare or other means tested benefits,your employer paid for them, their like insurance and will not affect your citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You and your employer have both paid premiums into the unemployment insurance programme so you are entitled to claim unemployment insurance benefits if you are laid off like this. It is like an insurance policy - you pay for it and if you need to use it, you file a claim to use it. It is not a means tested benefit from the government and will not have an impact on your citizenship application. You've earned the right to claim the benefits so don't hesitate to claim them.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Anyone here at VJ, who was in an immigrant status, had ever claimed UNEMPLOYMENT while applying for N-400, would enlighten me please.

I claimed unemployment benefits during my period of eligibility for naturalization. it was not a problem. In fact, never came up at all.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Anyone here at VJ, who was in an immigrant status, had ever claimed UNEMPLOYMENT while applying for N-400, would enlighten me please.

I claimed unemployment benefits during my period of eligibility for naturalization. it was not a problem. In fact, never came up at all.

Thanks Everyone for all your input !

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:devil:

its all paranoia here unemployment/medicaid

richest nation world has ever seen but we are scratching to survive.

glad I have my european and canadian for future reference arf arf

for sure this USA is not a compassionate society,rule of darwin works here.

Fact

red d :devil:

uote name='gracell' date='Aug 26 2009, 02:38 PM' post='3254484']

Just want to know also if availing medicaid will affect our citizenship application?

Any input will greatly be appreciated

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.