mvladi

DS-230 question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hello VJ members!

I need you help with the clarification in DS-230 form completion for my daughter and her 2 children.

The instruction for DS-230 said, that all family members should filling up the DS-230 Immigrant Visa Application, regardles of age. My daughter is 36 and she is going to immigrate with her 2 children - 12 and 9 years old. Do they need to fill up the DS-230 form and who is going to sign the Part1 of the form - my daughter? Please help with that. And should I as a sponsor pay for the IV bill 1200$ (400$ for each person)? Thank you.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hello VJ members!

I need you help with the clarification in DS-230 form completion for my daughter and her 2 children.

The instruction for DS-230 said, that all family members should filling up the DS-230 Immigrant Visa Application, regardles of age. My daughter is 36 and she is going to immigrate with her 2 children - 12 and 9 years old. Do they need to fill up the DS-230 form and who is going to sign the Part1 of the form - my daughter? Please help with that. And should I as a sponsor pay for the IV bill 1200$ (400$ for each person)? Thank you.

Each individual who will be immigrating needs his/her own DS-230 (Immigration Visa application). Your daughter needs to file one and each of the children will need their own; 3 total. Your daughter can sign the DS-230s on behalf of her children. You do need to pay $1200; $400 for each DS-230.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, each person immigrating to the US needs their own DS-230 since that is the application for the visa. I'm assuming since the children are already 12 and 9 that they can sign their own forms, but you can call the NVC to find out what they recommend.

Also, anyone can pay the $400 per person fee, it doesn't have to be the sponsor. All the NVC cares about is that the bill is paid, in this case it would be a total of $1,200.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
Yes, each person immigrating to the US needs their own DS-230 since that is the application for the visa. I'm assuming since the children are already 12 and 9 that they can sign their own forms, but you can call the NVC to find out what they recommend.

Also, anyone can pay the $400 per person fee, it doesn't have to be the sponsor. All the NVC cares about is that the bill is paid, in this case it would be a total of $1,200.

Diana

Thank you to both of you for ther quick response and professional answer. I appreciate it. Good luck to you both as well.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to say that I have been reading VJ for a long time and found it very helpful :thumbs:

My question is also about form 230. I am petitioning a relative who does not speak English and according to my local US embassy rules, the form 230 must be completed in English. My relative plans to fill it out in the native language and then take it to a translation agency to be translated into English.

In the last section of the form there is a question (#44) "were you assisted in completing this form?" and my relative plans to check off "No".

My dilemma is: does translation count as an "assistance"? Please advise, how you dealt with this situation. I am sure there are many folks here who petitioned non-English-speaking relatives.

Timeline
Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to say that I have been reading VJ for a long time and found it very helpful :thumbs:

My question is also about form 230. I am petitioning a relative who does not speak English and according to my local US embassy rules, the form 230 must be completed in English. My relative plans to fill it out in the native language and then take it to a translation agency to be translated into English.

In the last section of the form there is a question (#44) "were you assisted in completing this form?" and my relative plans to check off "No".

My dilemma is: does translation count as an "assistance"? Please advise, how you dealt with this situation. I am sure there are many folks here who petitioned non-English-speaking relatives.

We also filled out the DS-230 in English. My husband didn't speak a word of it at the time and I helped him fill it out, then on question #44 he checked YES and put my name down as the person who helped him fill out the form. It's the easiest way to get it done.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Oksana81, how are you?

Couldn't you just fill out your relative's DS-230 for him/her and write down that you assisted him/her in completing the form?

Or you can even assist him/her thru instant messenger or over the phone.

That's how I did it for my parents who do not speak any English.

Good luck!!!

Timeline

We completed the DS-230 here in the US and sent it to the boys in Colombia for them to sign and then they sent it back to us. You should fill it out and send it and he just signs. You put your name and yes as far as help completing the form

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.