Anonymous 57

Question about I-864, W2s, and Tax transcripts

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

So, I have a question about the tax documents that I have to submit with my form I-864. I was married to somebody else in 2006 and 2007 and filed jointly. I have the copies of my tax returns that H&R Block gave me, but the person who did my return took my W2s and left me with the part that is only blank :unsure: . At the time, I didn't realize that I would ever need them, it was only my second and third year of ever doing taxes by myself, so I didn't say anything. At the time my husband was unemployed and I was the source of all of our income. I was well above the poverty line in those years as well. In 2008, I was divorced so I filed an individual tax return and this year they stapled my W2 to the packet that they gave me, so I have it.

My question is this... will it be adequate to request a tax transcript for 2006/2007 and a transcript of my W2s to include with the I-864? I heard that if you filed jointly, you have to have your W2 forms to prove that your income alone is enough to sponsor. Unfortunately, I don't know if a W2 transcript is going to cut it. I would request a copy of the returns, but it says that it may take up to 60 days and transcripts take only 10 (or so I read somewhere). Does anybody have any advice?

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-25

Contacted Congrasswoman Eshoo's Office for assistance : 2008-06-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-18 !!!!

just go to local IRS and show id and they will give u in 2 minutes

i think joint return have ur income seprately and then added together

i did not send the W2 with my transcripts.

good luck

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

I had a similar situation. I was married and my husband passed away. One of the tax returns included the last year I filed jointly with him. I submitted a transcript and nothing else with no explanation. I will tell you that the transcript does not separate out who made what money. It has basically the same line items as a 1040 and any Schedules that were part of your return. The joint return wasn't questioned. I think the most important information is your most recent tax year. That's all they require. Your older ones will probably be fine if you send transcripts since you have no W2. If your current proof of income is good, then they may not even look at the previous years.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just get your IRS transcripts for the years needed - they will have everything you need.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I concur with Bobby and others. Get the transcipts and don't worry. I submitted a joint filing with my ex as part of the process. No issues.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I didn't even know that the IRS had local offices. :P Nice to know.

Whew, I feel so much better about this now. Per the consensus, I'll just submit my transcripts for the missing years.

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-25

Contacted Congrasswoman Eshoo's Office for assistance : 2008-06-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-18 !!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.