mandixon

Landed in JFK after 10 months of absence from the US and with a Conditional Green Card still valid for a day only.

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Becoming a USC doesn't mean you lose citizenship of your home country automatically. You'd have to denounce it yourself.

=================

K1 Section

=================

Sent I-129F - 03/25/2009

Visa in Hand -11/23/2009

US Entry - 11/26/2009

Wedding - 12/26/2009

=================

AOS Section

=================

AOS, EAD, AP Forms Sent - 01/06/2010

Biometrics - 02/11/2010

EAD/AP Approved - 02/23/2010

--------------------------------

Ceremonial Wedding - 06/17/2010

It is a little more complex than that and unfortunately different based upon a country by country basis.

Canada for example does not recognize the US oath and therefore they consider you to remain a Canadian citizen unless, as you state, you denounce it. This is not so for all countries.

Anyway, this was not my point. I personally would not want to follow the USC path for other reasons in my prior post which don't relate to this issue.

Becoming a USC doesn't mean you lose citizenship of your home country automatically. You'd have to denounce it yourself.
Edited by wexford65

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Filed: Other Timeline

I think we got sidetracked here. Nonetheless, what happens to the "old" citizenship of a newly naturalized USC varies from country to country. Some countries do not even recognize the US citizenship and the citizen automatically remains citizen of that country. Other coutries automatically consider the original citizenship renounced once somebody becomes a US citizen. Some countries allow dual citizenship, others don't.

I think, becoming citizen of another country is a big step. It all depend on whether somebody wants to live in the US for the rest of their lives and considers it home.

When I read people posting here about flying "home" and then coming back to the US, I don't think they are ready to become US citizens at heart. They might become it for practical reasons, though, and if their "home" country allows dual citizenship, more power to them.

Otherwise, it's okay to be a permanent resident of the US, and remain citizen of the country one calls "home." Remember, home is where the heart is . . .

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I never really understand why people don't want US citizenship unless their home country does not recognize it. I'd get it just for the ease of travel, imagine you can home for 6 years and then come back to the US no questions asked.

My husband dose not plan to go for citizenship. There are many reasons why someone might not want to. His family owns farm land and if he becomes a USC than he has absolutely no rights to it at all and is not allowed to purchase agricultural land. So he is going for permanent residency.

Is this because India recognizes the ceremony in the US where you "renounce" your former citizenship? I'm just curious really as I only know about the UK on this. The UK government does not recognize the oath and therefore its possible to keep both.

You know I am not really sure why they won't allow dual citizenship I could never get a true explanation for it. I know once you become a USC you lose all rights other than ease of travel and restrictions on length of stay. So no voting, your not allowed to hold any government post and no agricultural land ownership. I'm pretty sure they just don't want foreign ownership of land to keep their country intact.

Edited by dagnytaggart

=)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline
3600rs, my real home is not Israel, I'm not sure where you got that from.

To those who say I haven't studied in the US....I've paid more than 50K towards my American Education and my BS degree is from the USA, as will be my phD.

Again, for those who don't understand, I'm not against leaving the US for periods of time, no I don't think one should wear a ankle bracelet, but I think that many people get around the rules of a GC. That's not it's true purpose.

Where ever maybe your REAL home, your NOT Native American ;)

Getting all the US Phd's and paying your own tuition does not make you more American, you are from the place you came.

People are FREE to leave for as much time they need even during the green card as long as they are in the limits set by USCIS. True purpose is determined by the CIS, and there are rules in place. And no one gets around the rules. When you become a citizen it means the rules of the GC have been satisfied. period! If you don't have any interest in your home country during the time of your GC that's understandable, but don't attack others who have long term interests or commitments in their home countries. Remember they still are within the rules of the GC.

Thanks mermaid :)

How do you know I'm NOT Native American? Actually I am.

Edited by msdelila

Which tribe do you belong to? My wife is part cherokee.

Paul

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Erhm, no my M.S is not in English Comprehension, it's in Neurobiology, what about you? And to the other lady, yes actually people do want me to study in Israel, as I contribute to their economy. Thanks.

You've displayed some less than impressive data collection and analysis in this thread, Dr. Scientist.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Why all the bother over filing to remove conditions? He could have already done that (one can if one is out of the country, you know) , in fact, if you look at his signature, he notes he did on June 29. 2009. :)
True. If he files by express mail he will be on time. :thumbs:

Actually, he can file today (by express mail) and still be on time.

If he does not file today and he is a few days late, he will likely be forgiven, because he was out of the country (better reason for being late than many).

Also, one can be outside of the US for up to 1 year and not lose the PR status (depending on other circumstances, and once he's in - he's in, he already did not lose his status). He will have to wait another 3 years before he becomes eligible to file for naturalization, but hey, may be he does not even want to naturalize.

Well, don't sing victory. You obviously didn't apply in time for Removing the conditions of your residence; plus have remained outside of the country for more time than allowed in order to maintain your status.

I would not be surprised if you were soon notified of failure to comply and your GC revoked.

very Important fact :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline
Which tribe do you belong to? My wife is part cherokee.

Paul

Ojibwe

That answers it all. Your all around American! Unlike the rest who are first immigrants and then American citizens. That also explains why we spend time back home as and when required. :) Peace

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Not necessary. It depends on the country.

As well, many people, as stated previously, would prefer to remain LPRs rather than become a USC.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.