Picaraz

New Permanent Resident with no SSN or A#

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have 2 questions, so hopefully somebody can shed some light...

My dad just became a permanent resident. He entered the U.S on an IR5 inmigrant visa and wants to petition his 17 year old daughter who lives outside the U.S. as soon as possible!!!

On form I-130, they are asking for his SSN and his A# but he doesn't have them yet and this is why...

At the port of entry, they stamped his passport with a temporary green card but they didn't write down his Alien Registration Number (A#). So, how can he get his A# without having to wait for the plastic card to come in the mail??????

Also, we went to the office to apply for a SSN but they told us that he had to wait 3 weeks from his arrival date before he can apply for a SSN because of this process called Enumeration at Entry.

So my 2nd question is: Since he is a permanent resident with the right to petition his daughter, does he HAVE to write down his SSN on form I-130 even though he doesn't have a number assigned to him yet?????

I have a feeling that in the end he's gonna have to be patient and wait for these 2 numbers: his A# and his SSN!!!

Thanks in advance to anybody that can give me an answer!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hello everyone! I have 2 questions, so hopefully somebody can shed some light...

My dad just became a permanent resident. He entered the U.S on an IR5 inmigrant visa and wants to petition his 17 year old daughter who lives outside the U.S. as soon as possible!!!

On form I-130, they are asking for his SSN and his A# but he doesn't have them yet and this is why...

At the port of entry, they stamped his passport with a temporary green card but they didn't write down his Alien Registration Number (A#). So, how can he get his A# without having to wait for the plastic card to come in the mail??????

Also, we went to the office to apply for a SSN but they told us that he had to wait 3 weeks from his arrival date before he can apply for a SSN because of this process called Enumeration at Entry.

So my 2nd question is: Since he is a permanent resident with the right to petition his daughter, does he HAVE to write down his SSN on form I-130 even though he doesn't have a number assigned to him yet?????

I have a feeling that in the end he's gonna have to be patient and wait for these 2 numbers: his A# and his SSN!!!

Thanks in advance to anybody that can give me an answer!!!

Hi Picaraz,

I don't know if your dad needs the SSN or A# to petition for your sister. He can send in the I-130 now to lock down a priority date for your sister. He risks getting a request for the information later and it could cause a slight delay in approving your sister's case. Although this seems bad, it may actually be good since it would cause a delay in approval resulting in a more generous application of CSPA.

It will take about 4.5 years before your sister would be eligible for an immigration visa in the F2a family preference category; LPR petitioning for an unmarried child under 21. By the time your sister's case becomes current, she will be over 21 and moved to the F2b category where the wait is 9 years. However, CSPA does not count the time it take to approve an application against your sister. So if it take 3 years to approve the I-130 for your sister, she can be 24 years old and still be in the F2a category.

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Payxibka and thanks very much for your reply... My dad's A# is not on his I-130 approval notice or on his visa. My dad just made an appointment thru Infopass, so hopefully they can write his A# on his passport.

Hi Aaron2020 and thanks a lot for your answer!!!

I have read about CSPA and it's all very confusing to me, so I'm sorry to bother you but I have one more question for you: Am I right in understanding that the longer it takes for the I-130 to be approved, the more likely that my sister could be covered under CSPA?

She will be 18 years old this October and my dad hopes to file the I-130 before then...

Thank you and sorry again to bother you! Bye!!!!!!!!!!!

His A# is the first number in the right hand side of the visa - under registration number (it does not start with A# and that is why people don't know what it is).

For SSN, he has to go and apply for one if nothing comes in the mail within 3 weeks.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hi Payxibka and thanks very much for your reply... My dad's A# is not on his I-130 approval notice or on his visa. My dad just made an appointment thru Infopass, so hopefully they can write his A# on his passport.

Hi Aaron2020 and thanks a lot for your answer!!!

I have read about CSPA and it's all very confusing to me, so I'm sorry to bother you but I have one more question for you: Am I right in understanding that the longer it takes for the I-130 to be approved, the more likely that my sister could be covered under CSPA?

She will be 18 years old this October and my dad hopes to file the I-130 before then...

Thank you and sorry again to bother you! Bye!!!!!!!!!!!

The longer it takes to approve the petition the better. It takes 4.5 years for F2a cases to be current. In 4.5 years, your sister will be 22.5 years old. If it takes 1 year for your sister's case to be approved, she will aged out into the F2b category because her CSPA age would be 22.5 real age - 1 year wait for approval = CSPA age of 21.5. So if it takes more than 1.5 years to get your sister's case approved, she will still be in the F2a category. So the longer it takes to approve, the better. If it takes 3 years to get approval, your sister's CSPA age would be 22.5 years - 3 years = 19.5 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.