Oasis

2 passport travel question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am traveling to Brazil next week and I have a passport question.

Since I am dual Citizen Germany - USA can I leave the US with my US Passport - enter Brazil with my German passport( since Germany does not require Visa ) ?

Leave Brazil with German passport and enter US with US Passport. Will that work or are they going to ask me questions.. why I travel with 2 passports ?

Greencard Holder since 1991

August 2006: Approved for Dual Citizenship from the German Consulate

I am officially now a Dual Citizen :)))

07.06.09 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center for Mr Brazil

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

02.23.10 Visa Interview - Rio de Janeiro-Visa denied

03.11.10 case cent back to VSC

Second Round:

04.19.10 Sent new petition to Vermont Service Center

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

10.XX.10: Decide to split with my fiance and set in a withdraw letter to VSC

10.25.10: NOA2 - to my surprise but it does not matter anymore

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

It seems to me that this would work.

the only question you might get is at the airline counter on the way out of Brazil, they will ask for proper documentation for entry into the US (you show them your US passport ) but you show the German one at the Brazilian police control.

My son is a dual national and he leaves and enters the US with its US passport and enter and leaves France with its French one. We never had any problem.

Good luck

Edited by jeangab75

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only thing I can think of is that coming back into the US you might get questions on why there are no stamps from the trip in your US passport.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know if my wife were to go to the Philippines on her Philippine passport, they would stamp both her US and Philippine passports. I don't know how Brazil would handle it.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline

Should I just show my 2 passports.. ? I thought US does not really like when someone has 2 passports.

This is all new to me :(

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Oasis,

Likewise, as posted in another message thread, I plan to do the following too:

When I become a US Citizen though...I plan to travel with my US Passport Card, EDL/Enhanced Driver's License, and Canadian Passport when I travel by land to Canada and back to the USA. Lol...I'll just present all 3 documents at the same time on both sides of the border (lol..there's no rule against this, after all)...and let them decide which travel documents that they want to process...I don't care...I have nothing to hide....And hopefully I won't have any problems crossing the border..."Better safe than sorry", by presenting all the travel documents that I will have, right?

So if I were you, I would bring the two passports, show them both, and let them decide which they want....As long as you show the US one when you come back to the USA, then you're covered there American-wise.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your travels and good luck with your journeys too.

Ant

Should I just show my 2 passports.. ? I thought US does not really like when someone has 2 passports.

This is all new to me :(

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since I am dual Citizen Germany - USA can I leave the US with my US Passport - enter Brazil with my German passport( since Germany does not require Visa ) ?

Leave Brazil with German passport and enter US with US Passport. Will that work or are they going to ask me questions.. why I travel with 2 passports ?

When leaving the US, you don't really go through immigration. You have to show your passport to the airline. I'm not sure what happens with this data. Are you showing the airline you have the right to enter the destination (so they don't have to bring you back in case you cannot get in) or are you giving this information to the airline who will then send it to the US Government to note that you have "left the country". If it's the former, you may want to show the passport you plan on using to enter Brazil (BTW, do US passport holders need visas to Brazil?). If it's the latter, then you probably want to show your US passport.

If I were you, I'd ask at the airline counter when they ask for your passport.

When leaving the US, you don't really go through immigration. You have to show your passport to the airline. I'm not sure what happens with this data. Are you showing the airline you have the right to enter the destination (so they don't have to bring you back in case you cannot get in) or are you giving this information to the airline who will then send it to the US Government to note that you have "left the country". If it's the former, you may want to show the passport you plan on using to enter Brazil (BTW, do US passport holders need visas to Brazil?). If it's the latter, then you probably want to show your US passport.

If I were you, I'd ask at the airline counter when they ask for your passport.

I agree with your analysis, and I'll add that US passport holders DO need an expensive visa to enter Brazil. Brazil has a "reciprocity policy", so if country X requires Brazilian citizens to get a visa to visit, then citizens of country X must get a visa (and pay an equivalent fee) to visit Brazil. Therefore, many dual citizens find it easier and/or cheaper to visit Brazil on a non-US passport.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

This was my experience travelling recently - dual Australian/US citizen - flying US to Australia, then return.

At the airline check-in at the US airport I handed over my US passport (based on the info - when in US, use your US passport) - when the attendant realised I was an Australian citizen, she asked for my Australian passport instead - but, told me to use my US passport going through security. When landing in Sydney, I used my Australian passport to go through immigration there.

Coming back to the US, I handed over my Australian passport at the airline counter - she asked for my US passsport instead, but, told my to use my Australian passport when going out through immigration. When I arrived in the US, I used my US passport at US immigration.

To my understanding, the reason the airlines asked for the passport of "where I was going to" was becasue, if I was travelling on the "local" passport, the problem was I did not have a visa (even an electronic visa) for my destination. There were no "why di you have two passports questions" - dual citizen ship seemed well understood. I avoided any situation where I handed two passports to immigration officials. At no point during the trip did I receive any stamps in my passport - and that was never even mentioned/noticed/nor an issue.

To the OP - I think your original plan is sound, legal, and a good financial decision.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Timeline

Yes but here is the thing..

I leave US with US passport - enter Brazil with German ( Germany is not required a visa )

Leave Brazil with German passport and enter US with US passport.

They are going to ask where I am coming from ? I say Brazil - then they look in my passport and say: Where was your visa ? Then what ?

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
They are going to ask where I am coming from ? I say Brazil - then they look in my passport and say: Where was your visa ? Then what ?

Then you tell them you are a dual US/German citizen, and that you used your German passport to enter Brazil. It's perfectly legal. If you are dual passport holder, it is your choice whether to use your US or other passport to enter a country other than the US.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

• 8 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.