Sign in to follow this  
Shanerz

HELP PLZ!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay I am new here but have done A LOT of research on this topic of marrying my American man and I am getting more and more confused!

I am from Ontario Canada. He lives in Arizona. If I go there Monday, which I am, and we get married, what happens or what has to happen when I come home in two weeks??

I know about the K-1 visa and to be honest that sounds like the fastest way for Canadians to be with their loved ones BUT what would happen if we didn't wait??

Also, is it true that when you file a K-1 visa you can still visit the U.S. while the application is in process??

my head is whirling with all of this...i know this will sound redundant tomany of you butIcould use some help please :huh:

Thanks ahead of time...

Shane...the confused canuck! lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay I am new here but have done A LOT of research on this topic of marrying my American man and I am getting more and more confused!

I am from Ontario Canada. He lives in Arizona. If I go there Monday, which I am, and we get married, what happens or what has to happen when I come home in two weeks??

I know about the K-1 visa and to be honest that sounds like the fastest way for Canadians to be with their loved ones BUT what would happen if we didn't wait??

Also, is it true that when you file a K-1 visa you can still visit the U.S. while the application is in process??

my head is whirling with all of this...i know this will sound redundant tomany of you butIcould use some help please :huh:

Thanks ahead of time...

If you get married, you can't apply for the k1. K1 is for unmarried people ONLY... it's a fiancee visa - not wife/husband visa :)

If you get married you have to apply for a k3 visa. Take a look at the comparison chart in the guides section to see which one would be better for you. good luck!

edit - heres the link for you http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Edited by Quail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
you have to apply for a k3 visa.
Or a CR-1 visa, which is generally more beneficial. Read the guides.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If you are unmarried and go the K1 route, you can visit during the process, as long as you can provide proof of your intent to return to canada.

If you get married and go K3, then I think you would really struggle to get back in for a visit.

06-18-2006 Met online in WoW

04-25-2007 Admitted that we had feelings for each other started talking on skype everyday!

10-12-2007 Met in US in person for the first time, love at first sight lol, 2 perfect months together.

06-21-2008 Engaged

08-16-2008 Package finally put together and posted to Vermont! Let the real games begin.

08-21-2008 Delieved, least thats what Fedex told us....

08-27-2008 Check Cashed *dances* come on NOA1!!!!!

08-29-2008 NOA1

10-27-2008 RFE

11-10-2008 RFE returned

03-01-2009 Confirmed Case lost by USCIS

04-03-2009 Refiled K1 Visa application complete with expedite due to USCIS error.

05-14-2009 K1 package once again has vanished....

06-08-2009 Hired lawyer to proceed with Appeal process.

06-26-2009 Paperwork Fedex'ed to lawyer

07-02-2009 Lawyer submitted our suit to court

07-17-2009 Court day 2: Success, must respond by 21st August. - No result ever came from this.

10/06/2009 Withdrew K1 petition

10/10/2009 Married

10/24/2009 CR1 packet completed and posted

10/26/2009 Packet arrived at Chicago - And Submitted our Aussie application

11/04/2009 Application of CR1 returned - was rejected because of a "blurry zip code" we didn't bother to re-apply given that Chris had lost his job

04/05/2010 Australian application still pending

September 2010 - Chris arrived in Australia on Temporary Visa.

10/10/2011 - 2 year wedding anniversary - Chris to be granted Australian Permanent Residency

Summer 2012 - Planned immigration to USA.

*We have visited each other 8 times since 2007*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks ahead of time...

Hi Shane,

Yes, you can still visit, however you will need to bring strong proof of ties to Canada when you cross the border. That can include a lease for a rental, letter from employer saying when you are coming back to work, return ticket if applicable and even a copy of your USCIS receipt if you have received it at that point.

Basically the person at the border will want to ensure that the Canadian is not going to the U.S. to live permanently (at this point) but is just going for a visit.

Once married you can apply for either a K3 or CR1 visa.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies it helped a lot.

Anyone know the realistic wait for a K3 or CR1?

I know that the K1 is anywhere from 4-6 months..

also...i read the guidlines and tips and flowcharts and i got the impression that he sends in the first package, but then Montreal would send me stuff to fill out as well? all the same stuff??? seems kinda redundant, is that why it's adviced to make 2 identical packages?

i have a feeling that if i actually went there monday, wed and came home that i would be banned for a year or more, with no way back in during that time, true?

thanks

Shane..i appreciate all yer help! :D

Timeline

also...I am trying to find the form online for the long version of the Canadian Birth Certificate, anyone have it handy? Would be for Ontario...if ya do please send it my way, I would greatly appreciate it!

Shane :D

Hi Shane!

For your birth certificate question, I would refer to google or to your Canadian regional forum.

You really need to read the guides and FAQs. We know that you haven't done your homework, because your questions are ALL covered in there (The process, the forms, if you can visit etc). The links are at the top of the page.

Please understand that it is not that we do not want to help you, but you are doing yourself a GREAT DISSERVICE by not reading these excellent resources. They will be more comprehensive than any "catch all" question will yield you on the forums section.

Also, please look very closely at the different visa options, as the K3 which has been recommended is basically obsolete and only a desirable visa under very special circumstances. If you marry, you will most likely want a CR-1 visa.

Do your homework. This process is difficult and easily delayed (or denied) for people who cannot read carefully and research thoroughly.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.